Another newcomer thanks to Dr. Bredesen's book

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Another newcomer thanks to Dr. Bredesen's book

Post by NancyM »

Hi all, I'm a 58 year old woman (man that sounds old when you type it out!) apoe4/2 and I, like many others, just discovered this site from Dr. Bredesen's book. My dad was diagnosed with AD around 2005, and, because my mom was blind and had other health issues, therefore unable to take care of him alone, they moved in with us in 2009. Dad died in May of 2014, and Mom just last December. During the course of their living with us my own health went down the tubes (typical caregiver story). I gained 40 pounds and developed pretty bad back issues. After Dad died I decided to turn things around (Mom at this point moved to an assisted living facility nearby so my caregiver requirements were significantly reduced). I began seeing a trainer 3 times a week, dropped 35 of those 40 pounds (so far), began running (3 half marathons in 2016, and attempting the Chicago marathon in a few weeks!) and, maybe most importantly, began seeing a functional medicine doctor two and a half years ago who has been an essential part of my health journey. Through the testing she has ordered for me I determined my 4/2 status as well as other nutritional deficiencies and risk markers (high inflammation, high homocysteine, high Lp(a), etc.), and she has prescribed diet and lifestyle changes as well as supplementation, all of which have worked to significantly improve my numbers. During the course of all of this I have also spent many hours reading and listening to online summits regarding the prevention of AD. I came across Dr. Bredesen's work a couple of years ago and eagerly anticipated his book. The guy is awesome. I have learned so much from all of these things which really helps to keep down the dread and fear of what may come. Along those lines, I wanted to say that there is another online series beginning this week called Awakening From Alzheimers which will run for I believe 10 days featuring many experts including Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Perlmutter that you may want to check out. Anyway, I have been thoroughly enjoying this site and just wanted to introduce myself. I really appreciate all of you!
Last edited by NancyM on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Another newcomer thanks to Dr. Bredesen's book

Post by KatieS »

Welcome Nancy, a rare 2/4. Sorry to hear about your parent's difficult demise. But what resilience to address your health issues and now running a marathon. We would love to hear more details about how you decreased your inflammation, Hcy & lp(a), the latter two I have struggled with, only decreasing the Hcy.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Hi Katie! My doctor prescribed an anti inflammatory diet (avoid sugar, gluten, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, bad fats, etc.). I can't say my diet is perfect, but I do strive to avoid those things. Inflammation also addressed with supplements, the most important/effective of which IMO is curcumin. I have no pain in my body (a BIG change from a few years ago) and I just feel that the curcumin has a lot to do with that. Also exercise and good sleep helps with inflammation. It was determined I am (have?) MTHFR so that I believe was responsible for the high Hcy and low glutathione. I have been told by doctors most of my life that I was folate deficient but none ever offered an explanation or solution before my current doctor. She immediately put me on a couple methylated B complexes and prescribed glutathione infusions and my numbers have significantly improved. The lp(a) initially was at 78 (yikes!) so my doctor put me on niacin and I tested at 38 last February. Running the Boston Heart and Spectracell tests again when I see her in December. Hope this helps!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Nancy and welcome to the group! So sorry to hear about your folks...very very tough for a family to go through.

And wow...it's so impressive how you've approached and committed to changing your lifestyle and health - a real success story. As a 4/4 with some stubborn risk markers (inflammation/hcy), I appreciate the info shared in your last post re: your strategies to get those markers in line. The glutathione infusions you mentioned is something I hadn't looked into yet...

Given all the independent research you've done during your health journey, you may have already read thru our site Primer written by our member physician Stavia. If not, please take a look; it's a wonderful resource for E4s all in one place. I refer back to it frequently to help me stay on course.

Also, thanks for the note about the Awakening from Alzheimer's summit beginning Sept 21st I believe - I've signed up for online access. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forums, Nancy!
all the best, Lucy
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Thanks Lucy! The primer is one of the first things I read when I discovered your site - knowledge is power!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Several members are looking for a Bredesen trained MD in the Chicago area. Your provider may not specifically be Bredesen trained, but interested in learning and working with "our types." Would you be willing to share his or her name?
Slacker
E4/E4
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Of course. Her name is Dr. Theri Raby. Her practice is called the Raby Institute and she is an integrative medicine physician affiliated with Northwestern University Hospital. I don't know if she is familiar with Bredesen, but she mentioned to me once that she and David Perlmutter crossed paths early in their medical careers. I m seeing her again in December and I intend to ask her about Bredesen and I'll be bringing his list of tests with me to see how many more she may be able to help me with. I will also mention this site and your suggestion.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Nancy, when you mentioned the Chicago Marathon, I wondered if you had seen this thread about the Midwestern Meetup that is planned for that weekend? I think it's still in the planning stages, in case it's something that might appeal to you. And let me add my welcome to the site also, and thanks for all you have shared.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2896&start=20
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

Hi Jan, and thanks for pointing that out. I actually did see the thread. Although I won't be able to join them on that day because of the marathon, I do plan on reaching out in case the date changes.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Good luck in the running. That's an awesome challenge!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.