Introduction & Saying Hello - Which Tests to Prioritize?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Introduction & Saying Hello - Which Tests to Prioritize?

Post by laureleastman »

Hello lovely people,

I'm a 40 year old woman with the genetic luck to be 4/4. Maternal grandfather died of AD. I'm not showing symptoms but here to step up my game with prevention.

After reading Dr. B's book last month I got serious about cleaning up my diet and exercising every day for 20-40 minutes.

One question for you all: of the crazy long list of blood tests/AD markers outlined in the book, which ones should I prioritize?

Very grateful for this community and appreciative of all your time and insight.

xx Laurel 8-)
4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduction & Saying Hello - Which Tests to Prioritize?

Post by Stavia »

Hi Laurel, welcome.
Yup the biomarkers in his book are crazy.
Have a look at our primer
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

I recommend this as a starting point
Blood tests
a. HbA1c, fasting insulin, fasting glucose, 1 and 2 hour after eating ("post prandial") blood glucose
b. Lipids - both basic (TC HDL LDL TG's) and advanced (LDL-p or apolipoprotein b)
c. Vitamin B12
d. Vitamin D3
e. TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid function)
f. Liver functions
g. Homocysteine
h. CRP (inflammation) (to define values under 1, a "high sensitivity" assay is used
i. Full blood count (FBC) also called complete blood count (CBC) in the USA, measures the red cells, white cells and platelets in the blood.
j. Ferritin (measure of iron stores but also goes up in chronic inflammation)
k. Renal function is usually given as creatinine and electrolytes. In the USA it is still incorrectly called BUN (blood urea nitrogen) as years ago urea was measured instead of creatinine. Sometimes incorrectly it is still called u&e's by British/Europe docs because we also used to measure urea years ago. From the creatinine a measure of renal function can be estimated, called eGFR. It is inaccurate at extremes of body habitus. It overestimates renal function in small people and underestimates renal function in large muscular people. A more accurate measure is the GaultCockroft equation which requires more information.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello Laurel

welcome to the forum. Congratulations on finishing the book and starting on going with a plan to the preventive action. The positive moves you have made by fine tuning your diet and exercising are major start up moves on your way to success.

I would like to invite you again to the primer of this site written by Dr Stavia who has already welcomed you. There is a whole collection of information that will help you and guide you towards getting a better understanding and much more.

Feel free to post any questions and answers will come your way.

welcome again

have a nice day

raj
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by laureleastman »

Thanks you two for the info and the warm welcome. :)
4/4