fairly new (caregiver)

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cutbankid
Contributor
Contributor

fairly new (caregiver)

Post by cutbankid »

Maybe I should have started here.
I'm taking care of my 81 year old wife who has had AD for some time. Often wants to go "home," spends lot of time repeating lists of book titles (from books she read), or names from her phone book, or looking at pictures from our albums. I'm in process of trying to implement stuff from Breseden's book. One of her main problems is itchy skin, and she's had it for years. When I was helping her change today, I noticed a spot of blood on the bedpad where she was sitting. Itchiness can be anywhere, but is most often on back and hips. I've been giving her 24 hour allergy pills (allegra). They help somewhat. Still working on getting her to spit so can get DNA.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: fairly new (caregiver)

Post by SusanJ »

One thing to try is to trial a low-histamine diet for a week or so and see if the itchiness decreases. If it does, that might suggest pursuing some dietary changes to heal your wife's gut. I know that as I've healed my gut, I've had less problems with things like itchy skin, sneezing and the like.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: fairly new (caregiver)

Post by slacker »

Cutbankid;

There's a thread set up specifically for caregiving issues that you might find helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2566&hilit=caregiver
Slacker
E4/E4