How to gain weight with APOE4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to gain weight with APOE4

Post by ru442 »

"I have a low-carb nut granola I make. I wonder if I pulse it in the food processor if I can get it into more of a granola texture"

Maybe as a cereal? Do you have access to A2 milk? Again not sure what he would like, but I know my son could eat a whole box of cereal and a half gallon of milk in one sitting for a "snack" when he was that age! lol
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

I have a cunning plan to hide nuts. These two recipes are great hits with my grandchildren, albeit they are younger. Both are delicious and because I have reduced the sugar I sometimes indulge myself. :oops:
Chewy peanut butter and choc cookies

1 cup peanut butter (fine to hide nuts)
1 egg
1/4 cup or 1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
85g dark choc. I use Whitaker’s 85%

Preheat oven to 180C. Combine peanut butter with egg, sugar, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well. Add chocolate chopped into chunks. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Using hands shape tspsful of mixture into balls and place on tray about 5cm apart. Press down lightly with a fork. Bake til risen and lightly brown. About 20 mins.
Or
Almond cookies

3 egg whites
1 tsp ( or 2 if you like the taste of marzipan)
1/2 cup or 1/4 raw sugar
1 3/4 cups (200g) almond meal
1 cup flaked almonds ( could leave that out if averse to nuts)

Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, add essence. Fold in combined sugar and almond meal. Refrigerate the mixture for about an hour until firm. Heat oven to 150C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into approx. 6-8cm lengths then roll in almond flakes, if using. Place cookies (biscuits here) about 5cm apart on trays, flatten slightly and bake til lightly browned, about 25mins. P.S. can use vanilla instead if almond essence not liked.

Both recipes are calorie dense. Each time I make them I reduce the sugar a little and haven’t had any complaints so far. Good luck.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: How to gain weight with APOE4

Post by ru442 »

Jafa wrote:I have a cunning plan to hide nuts. These two recipes are great hits with my grandchildren, albeit they are younger. Both are delicious and because I have reduced the sugar I sometimes indulge myself. :oops:

1 egg
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 180C. Combine peanut butter with egg, sugar, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well. Add chocolate chopped into chunks. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Using hands shape tspsful of mixture into balls and place on tray about 5cm apart. Press down lightly with a fork. Bake til risen and lightly brown. About 20 mins.
Or
Almond cookies

3 egg whites
1/2 cup or 1/4 raw sugar

Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, add essence. Fold in combined sugar and almond meal. Refrigerate the mixture for about an hour until firm. Heat oven to 150C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into approx. 6-8cm lengths then roll in almond flakes, if using. Place cookies (biscuits here) about 5cm apart on trays, flatten slightly and bake til lightly browned, about 25mins. P.S. can use vanilla instead if almond essence not liked.

Both recipes are calorie dense. Each time I make them I reduce the sugar a little and haven’t had any complaints so far. Good luck.
You could also substitute the sugar with Stevia in the raw, baking version which is cup for cup to sugar. Its non glycemic and is the same taste as sugar in my experience.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

HeatherLst wrote:He won't eat nuts
Nuts vary greatly in flavor and texture, and they are often served mixed. I wonder if you could persuade him to reconsider this exceptionally valuable food category by serving him hyperpalatable Mauna Loa macadamias. (In my experience, macadamias vary widely in quality, much like fruit. The very best nuts in a high-quality product like Kirkland Signature compare with the bottom quartile of those in a fresh bag of Mauna Loa. The best Mauna Loa nuts - typically well over half the bag - are exquisite delicacies.)
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

The Mauna Loa are really good, but they do a bit more dry roasting before they shell so less fat. I recently ordered from South Kona direct from the island, they are awesome. They have a proprietary cracking method so they can get to the nut meat without having to roast. They were out of stock on the whole macs, but that was 2 months ago and they should be processing for new crop now. I have emailed Meris to inquire. You can check them out at:

http://www.southkonamacs.com/
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thanks, ru442 - I just placed an order. Can't wait!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

So just got a reply email from Meris:

"So sorry for the delay. We will start processing the next batch on Friday and the nuts should be ready for mailing the week of Oct 30."

They may have some half's or cracked left in stock, last time I got the half's un-salted, and added my own "popcorn" salt to taste... they were excellent!
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

ru442 wrote:
Jafa wrote:I have a cunning plan to hide nuts. These two recipes are great hits with my grandchildren, albeit they are younger. Both are delicious and because I have reduced the sugar I sometimes indulge myself. :oops:

1 egg
1 tsp baking soda

Or
Almond cookies

3 egg whites
1/2 cup or 1/4 raw sugar

You could also substitute the sugar with Stevia in the raw, baking version which is cup for cup to sugar. Its non glycemic and is the same taste as sugar in my experience.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Stevia would be a no-go here. This is a kid who can tell you the difference between Smucker’s and Welch’s grape jelly. (Thankfully he doesn’t eat those any longer!) He’s just too sensitive, and with any taste changes like that he becomes super suspicious that I’m sneaking in medicine into his food. (I used to when he was a preschooler. Only way he’d take it. This kid never forgets!)

Jafa, thanks for the recipes! Those are good ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Marc and Ru442, I’ll check those out. I’m a pecan fan, so I’ve tried those on him before. He does like peanut butter, so maybe he’ll like those. I think this is one area where he might be willing to at least taste some new things, for the sake of health.

APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

You guys are amazing. I appreciate all of these ideas!

APOE4/4