Been Offline—life crises and slacking

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Been Offline—life crises and slacking

Post by Robin2038 »

Hello everyone
I haven’t been keeping up with this site or working too hard on my brain health. Fortunately I am healthy but I’m concerned I’ve messed up all the hard work I’ve done over the past couple of years improving my cognition. I’ve had to deal with two serious crises this past year and one in particular is very difficult to deal with and has set me back with my diet and keeping up with stress reduction— which is what I really need to focus on. Weve also moved from the DC area to Florida in August and I have a new and challenging job... and sent a son to college. So quite a few changes.
When I’m really stressed I’ve been drinking one glass of red wine, eating carbs and neglecting my supplements. I’ve also gone into menopause over the past year or so and didn’t follow up with my bio HRT plan. I tried it for a month last year and it made me feel bloated and crampy so I just never had a chance to follow up and get it right. I’ve also had take a small sliver of an ambien just to get some sleep on occasion. I figure it’s safer than not sleeping at all and driving.
My question is: how much damage Have I done to my dementia prevention plan and whether a late start with HRT will severely impact my future cognition. When I go off diet I try to fast the next day and I am still exercising. But my sleep has suffered, and my anxiety level is often high. So far I feel ok cognitively but not as sharp as I was last year. But the sadness and stress is making it hard to really care so much about my Brain.. just taking this opportunity to reconnect and ask if I’ve really set myself back...

aloha
Robin
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Been Offline—life crises and slacking

Post by Jan »

Hi, Robin ... I know I speak for everyone when I say we are glad to see you back. A lot of upheaval in your life recently! That can do a number on the best of intentions. But - you report that you are healthy, and that you are still exercising. That's huge, and you can begin addressing the areas that are troubling you. As you seem to agree, I'd put stress reduction at the top of your list right now. (meditation? gratitude journal? walks in nature? a change in the kind of exercise routine?) What kinds of things do you (purposefully) do to relax?

We always start from wherever we are. So I would suggest a focus on what you can now do to make tomorrow better. That positive focus on making choices right now, that will make your health better tomorrow - rather than worrying what effect a past choice might have had. And by all means, let us know how we can be a good friend to you!

(I'm sure you've read Stavia's Primer before, but reading it over again might give you a willpower boost. )

Welcome back!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Robin, good to see you again! I swear the universe has a warped sense of humor with menopausal women, throwing so many of life's challenges and transitions at us all at once, right when our hormones are wildly dropping.

We all go through periods of stress and ill health for a variety of reasons and it does take a toll on us. Stress, sleep deprivation, both impact the brain, but from my experience, cognitive issues will start going away if you can deal with the stressors (because you'll sleep better, too). But most importantly, you recognize you need to get back to paying attention to your health. Good for you!

Since you identified stress as something to tackle, maybe you could find a meditation group/class or yoga class that focuses on mindfulness to help. Even if you can't get to it everyday, you'll get on a schedule, and maybe even meet some new friends.

Have you found a new doctor yet? Might be a good next step so you have an ally in tackling your health challenges.

Hang in there and be gentle on yourself.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hi Robin2038

welcome back, just as Jan was suggesting here's the link for Dr Stavia's primer on this forum.
https://www.apoe4.info/wp/apoe-%ce%b54-introduction/.

You will find a lot of relevant information you would be interested in knowing and any questions at all just post them on the forum and answers will come your way from other experienced and knowledgeable members.

good to have you back.