Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Newbie

Post by chrissyr »

hahaha! At least you ordered it! I have visited the site about 49 times and will click order on #50.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi acornstwo!
Like you, I am in my 60's (smack in the middle!) and had a mother who had dementia or in her 80's, after her 4 older sisters went down that same path, and a father who died of heart disease at age 67. I found out about my 4/4 status the "old-fashioned way"--getting a 23&me test because other family members thought it was cool to see how much of our DNA is Neanderthal (2%). Back in early 2014 no one thought to warn users that just stumbling on that news might be something you don't want to learn.
So I have had moments where I thought "I wish I had never found out"--and then I remembered that finding out let me improve my diet, lower my blood pressure, prioritize sleep, renew my interest in exercise, get some important blood work and find out both good news and so-so news to check with my doctor, plan some great trips with my husband, reassure myself that I am doing well so far. I could have done all of that without the test, but am not sure I would have. And I have LTC insurance--purchased before I knew this info, but not as expensive as I thought it might be. I waited several years before informing my PCP, since we had just moved and I needed to get to know him a little. He's been supportive of my request to not put anything in my records about ApoE 4.
Three years out, I am glad I tested, since I would not have had the chance to join a clinical trial for people who have 2 copies of APOE 4 (and a newer trial for people with one or two copies) who are willing to see if there's a way to prevent amyloid plaques from forming. (Even Dr. Bredesen, at the end of his newest book, says that he sees drugs as one of the tools eventually in plugging the holes in the roof.) I know that's not for everyone, but I like being proactive and having at least the possibility to make a difference for my kids, who are all 3/4. Sounds you you and your sister are a built-in support group for each other--whatever you decide, that's a great thing!
And by the way, I have an ancestor who was named Newby, so I figure it's my lot in life to be a Newby in many things and enjoy the journey!!
4/4 and still an optimist!
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

NF52, thank you. It’s like the red pill or the blue pill, isn’t it? I think this weekend, I’m going to take the red pill and do the saliva thing. The thing that is driving me is that I want to go after this in the most effective way possible, and that includes knowing the whole story.

I appreciate your reply. Now, I’ve taken my magnesium, ashwaganda, and melatonin, and they are working their magic. Time to turn my blue light device off now. (I know. Will address that bad habit soon. )