New member, E4- health ideas

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New member, E4- health ideas

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi there, I am a female 40 years old and from the UK, just had results from 23and me and have one copy of the E4 gene. This isn't a surprise- mum's family have dementia in it and dad's heart disease. Before doing the test i have been experimenting already with a low carb diet and had some tests at the GP- HBAC1, blood sugar etc, all were pretty good, blood pressure low. BMI a little high, lowering now. (27) do quite a lot of exercise including swimming, yoga, etc. Any other ideas or thoughts? Many thanks.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New member, E4- health ideas

Post by Orangeblossom »

Also, I forgot to mention, here in the UK we have 40 years + blood tests etc and cholesterol was very slightly high but HDL was at least half of this level, so my GP was pleased with that. However I'm unsure if this is different for those of us with this genotype. I'm going to have these tests every year so will have another update in Jan.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Orangeblossom! Kudos to you for being proactive and working to optimize your health. Increasing exercise sounds like an excellent idea. You are starting at a great age to avoid the pathologies associated with E4. If you haven't seen it yet, please check out our Primer, that offers a big picture overview and step-by-step guide to preventive measures. Keep up the great work. We're delighted to have you join our community.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello Orangeblossom

welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the head start you have already taken and good to know that you have started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Just stay on top of it and stay in total control and keep participating here at the forum I am sure you will find it working better as time goes. There is a serious group of members on this forum who can support you and also guide you in your journey going into the future. Just post any more questions as you come up with, give it some time and answers will follow.

good to have you here

raj
ajackson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajackson »

Welcome Orangeblossom! You found a great forum! It sounds like you are already doing a lot of good things to help you. I'm sure you have a lot of questions and here you will get a lot of questions answered. A good place to start is our primer written by Dr. Stavia. If you have not yet, I invite you to read our Primer
She is a founding member of our community. Topics include information about science, prevention, lifestyle modifications. I hope you will find it useful, and if any questions arise while reading it, please ask away.If you have not yet,
Alma
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thank you for your replies! It is nice when feeling anxious about my result to have some kind replies from others in the same boat! I have had a look at the primer and think I may be adjusting my LCHF diet to take care a little with the sat fats, I have been doing this anyway to be honest as time went on i started to crave veggies (non starchy ones) more and less fat. I also do intermittent fasting (16:8) which i'm liking and finding quite easy, skipping breakfast and exercising then. I have a gym pass and swimming is my thing. I also have depression and have taken prozac for many years, since 1999. I have tried to look online and it seems prozac is one of the better antidepressants in terms of heart risks etc and has a slightly blood thinning affect. I wonder about taking aspirin long term as a health benefit in a small dose but probably won't with my prozac. I am going for surgery soon for varicose veins and see vascular issues are also associated with this gene. Well I'll have the laser treatment and surgery and then do lots of swimming I guess. Thank you for the welcome, again!
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I found my blood results from my NHS 40 years old health check in January, I wondered if it was possible to have a look at them and see what they mean and if I can improve them any due to this new APOE status? they just did the basics and here they are:

Female 40 years, 5 ft 3, BMI 29 (now 27)- (advised to get below 25, now doing intermittent fasting) Exercise: moderate (3-5 times a week)

Blood pressure: 128 / 81
HBAC1: 35
Fasting blood sugar: 4.1
Cholesterol Total: 5.2 mmol/l (HDL 2.6)

Many thanks.

PS At the time was eating moderate low carb.