Just saying hello

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Just saying hello

Post by cwicker »

Hi, I have forayed a bit into the forum with some posts and comments while waiting for my genetic tests. Both my parents developed dementia in their mid-70's. My dad, though not sure about my mom, is a heterozygous E4, and I assume mom is too. Both my parents are in their early 80s and in a long term care facility. My brother was an E3/E4 and died while riding his bike at 56.

I got my tests back and somehow I am E3/E3. I'm a bit shocked as I assumed E4. Anyway, as I care for my parents, thanks for letting me lurk and participate.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just saying hello

Post by slacker »

cwicker wrote:Hi, I have forayed a bit into the forum with some posts and comments while waiting for my genetic tests. Both my parents developed dementia in their mid-70's. My dad, though not sure about my mom, is a heterozygous E4, and I assume mom is too. Both my parents are in their early 80s and in a long term care facility. My brother was an E3/E4 and died while riding his bike at 56.

I got my tests back and somehow I am E3/E3. I'm a bit shocked as I assumed E4. Anyway, as I care for my parents, thanks for letting me lurk and participate.
Having an ApoE4 allele increases risk for AD, with ApoE3's at average risk. Focusing of lifestyle changes to help prevent cognitive decline is reasonable for everyone. (We won't cancel your membership and participation on the website! :D )
Slacker
E4/E4