Betty's Lab results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Betty's Lab results

Post by Bettylacy »

Thoughts on my recent lipids and hormones:

I had my labs done recently and was disappointed because I’ve been on a ketogenic diet since February 2017 and was hoping for better lipid values. My Lipids went up substantially although my %sdl is still normal and actually less than what it was last year but the actual amt of sdl is @31 up from last year. Kind of confusing. Unfortunately no LDL-P this draw.
Here they are:

Date of labs:     3/2016. 1/2017 09/18/2017
TChol 269 202 266
Trig 71 42 44
LDL-C 161 124 182
HDL-C 94 76 80
LDL-P 1753 1150.
sdLDL-C ---- - 23 31
%sdLDL-C 19 17
ApoA1 ---- 174.7 175
LpPLA2 ---- 215 224
CRP .3 .2 .2
HCys 9.4 7.3 7.7
HgA1C 5.3 5.2 5.1
HOMA-IR --- .6 .4
AdpNtn --- >25 >25
Insulin --- 3 2
Vit D 34.1 73 76
B12. 563 1310. 1424
B-sitosterol 338 256
MTHFR +677C/T heterozygous
APOE +E3/4 heterozygous
Factor II G20210A variant thrombophilia (prothrombin)
Sitosterolemia ?G5, G8 genetic variant high chol absorber or  APOE4 mediated

The only other thing I can think of that caused my LDL-C and TC to soar could beincrease in nuts and dark chocolate since on the keto plan. I am now measuring out my 1/2 cup of nuts and 1 oz of chocolate per Dr. Gundry. Happy bout my HgbA1c , IR , FBG. Inflammation factors are good except LpPla2 is up. Hormones are another thing. I’ve been on transdermal Estradiol .375mg/day /Estriol 75mg/day and 100mg of Progesterone. My E2 is below 25pg/ml. Progesterone is normal and Testosterone is OK but DHEA is 296 above normal on lab values but Bredesen level is @ 500?. So I’m bumping up my E2 and will check it in 2 months. If not up to Anne Hathaway’s suggested 40-80pg/ml, I may need to switch to a patch because of poor absorption.
Overall health and cognition definitely improved since February on Ketogenic plan. My weight which was initially falling off seems to have stabilized @ BMI of 19.
I’m scheduled for a Calcium Scoring soon just to check- If it’s good I will continue on my Calcium since osteopenia currently.

Daily Supplements include: ALCar 1000, B12 1000, VitD 5000, FishOil 2gms, TMG 500, Turmeric 2000, multivitamin w LMfolate, w/trace minerals, Mg Theonate, B-complex, PS w/A-GPC, Dhea 25mg, Lithium 5 mcg, K2, Calcium/mg 600, Vit C, Alpha Lipoic acid, Probiotic, Glucosamine

Appreciate your all’s thoughts and any other comments. :D
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Betty's Lab results

Post by Bettylacy »

Well darn everything got scrounged together on the labs despite my attempts to separate. Hopefully you can see the dates above and follow the lines.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Bettylacey, if your coronary calcium score is low, why worry about your lipids?
Your numbers are much better than mine :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Stavia- I'm on my way next week for my Calcium scoring so I'll let you know. My sis came up with a "0" last month. THanks for the support. I'm reminded of your wonderful notes on @ the Lo Carb convention from David Feldman. "He is also not worried about e4s having a higher LDL. He believes the regulatory system sets it at this level to deliver enough LDL particles to the cell receptors." THat was helpful to read. My % sdl is down so I'll relax a bit. Working on getting my estradiol, testosterone and thyroid optimized at present. ANd as we know Glucose reg trumps Lipids so I'll go with that as my guide. It is a full time job taking care of ourselves. Best to you dear one and to your sis!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Betty's Lab results

Post by Stavia »

Bettylacy wrote:Stavia- I'm on my way next week for my Calcium scoring so I'll let you know. My sis came up with a "0" last month. THanks for the support. I'm reminded of your wonderful notes on @ the Lo Carb convention from David Feldman. "He is also not worried about e4s having a higher LDL. He believes the regulatory system sets it at this level to deliver enough LDL particles to the cell receptors." THat was helpful to read. My % sdl is down so I'll relax a bit. Working on getting my estradiol, testosterone and thyroid optimized at present. ANd as we know Glucose reg trumps Lipids so I'll go with that as my guide. It is a full time job taking care of ourselves. Best to you dear one and to your sis!
great to hear your sister is clear. love to both of you xx

Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Betty's Lab results /Calcium Scan HRvariability

Post by Bettylacy »

I did F/u with Calcium scan but unfortunately the tech said I had too much heart rate variability to do an accurate test. Never heard of this.?? My sis just had this done in San Diego along with husband and they didn’t even measure ht. Rate variability. Also they had me fast for 4 hours before and I’ve not heard of that as well? Any one out there had this experience before? The tech doing the test said she wouldn’t recommend me doing another because you can get false + or -on the test with ht.rate variability. Dang...I really wanted to see if i had any plaque going on in my vessels.

And Ht. Rate variability anybody up on this??? I took a course from heart math institute years ago and even purchased an EM wave device that put you more in a range of decreased variability which their research indicated reduced stress. More on the internet yielded Ht. Rate variability less as a negative value and more of an adaptive mechanism? Appreciate your feedback.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Betty sounds a bit dodgy to me. The new machines (I was told by my local radiologist) are so fast the heart rate isn't an issue any more. They used to give a beta blocker. And the fasting is bull....t.
Phone around.

Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Thanks Stavia. Yep I’m thinking I will check out another company that offers in Santa Rosa. Only 2 there. It’s a bit of a hike but I’m committed. Sending you a big hug.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Betty! Sorry about your strange experience. I agree that it's a smart move to follow through on a calcium scan. That should offer you important information moving forward. Overall, your biomarkers look good; lots of improvements. One thing that surprises me is your rise in sdLDL (from 21-30) given your drop in LDL-P (From 1753-1150.) I'd love to have any of our lipid experts weigh in...
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

sdLDL, could be diet related, even if temporary.

A short term increase in carbs?
Further, the prevalence of LDL subclass pattern B, a categorical marker for atherogenic dyslipidemia defined by the predominance of sdLDL, has been linearly and positively associated with increasing concentrations of dietary CHOs in randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) (94) (Figure 3) due to effects of CHO that can occur in as few as three days (65)
(Emphasis mine.)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4744652/

Also, excess calories, more saturated fat or less fiber can raise the number.