Newbie-still reeling from 23andme results!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ssw1120
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie-still reeling from 23andme results!

Post by ssw1120 »

I can't begin to say how happy I am that this forum exists, and how unhappy I am about clicking the button on 23andme to get the AD genetic test. I think I did it because of all the diseases I thought I would get in my life, this is close to the bottom of my list. I am a 4/4.
At this time, I am a generally health conscious 64 year old woman with no signs at all cognitive/memory decline. I am a film producer operating at the top of my game... I have four adult daughters, and an amazing husband. I am also the repository of general life info for my entire family, friends and work colleagues, a role I both love and hate! I go in and out of having a great exercise and eating plan, plus I meditate and use Luminosity, which I enjoy.

However, I have been spinning out for the last two week and have difficulty eating anything because I am so upset. I have read most of Dale Bredesen's book and have starting to introduce some of his recommended supplements, amping up my exercise and returning to no gluten, no refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, very little dairy, basically no alcohol, eating lean, grass fed proteins etc and oils/fishes high in Omega 3. I will continue to dedicate myself to maintaining and refining the diet, exercise, mental cognition, stress techniques etc since this is such a healthy way to live.

My big question now for the forum is this: How do I hook up with the right genetic counselor/MD with expertise in AD and the outcome of my genetic test? I would really like to get a reality check about this test result and the reliability of 23andme-along with having someone to talk to so I don't drive my husband insane. I live in Southern CA, although I could see someone in Chicago also or do phone consult. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have read most of the primer and am still taking in all the info on this website!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie-still reeling from 23andme results!

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome to the group, ssw1120, I'm so glad you found our site. As a sister 4/4 who also thought Alzheimer's risk was the last thing I needed to worry about, I understand so well the initial shock and how upset you're feeling right now. There are many others in the group who have gone through this, and I'm pretty confident most (if not all!) would tell you it DOES get better. Honest. From what you've written, it sounds like you've gotten serious very quickly and are already following most of Dr. Bredesen's protocols. That's excellent.

With regard to your question re: finding a genetic counselor/MD with the right expertise, I would think that there should be some good options in such dense metropolitan areas as Socal or Chicago. I've been lucky enough here in Colorado to find and work with a Functional Medicine Dr. who has been open to learning about and doing research into strategies/protocols for E4 carriers. So, that may be an avenue to explore. Also, when I received my results from Labcorp several years ago, they offered a consult with a genetic counselor, so it's possible that some of companies providing genetic tests might be able to recommend one. Just a thought.

We do have an initial list of ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners in this wiki: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Aware ... ctitioners. The list is growing, so it may be worthwhile to check it out and keep an eye on it.

If you're interested in looking into a practitioner trained in the Bredesen protocol, you can contacting MPI directly - http://www.drbredesen.com . Email:info@drbredesen.com Phone: 800 450-0805 .

As you have additional questions, please feel free to ask away. I've found our ApoE4 community to be very supportive and there is a great deal of combined knowledge here. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing...all the best, Lucy
ssw1120
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ssw1120 »

Lucy-
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and informative answer. It really helped me feel not so alone. I will be back in touch for sure.
Best, Sheri
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

You're not alone, Sheri. I've met a number of members on this site and found them to be open, warm, smart and so engaged in finding answers. I feel very lucky to have stumbled onto this growing family of citizen-scientists. This community has definitely helped to make me feel optimistic about the future.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Welcome to the site ssw1120. We are very happy that you are here.

I am sorry that you feel upset but like you probably know genes are not your destiny. There are many prevention steps you can take, and you are onto a great start: you have found the forum, the primer, and Dr Bredesen's protocol.
It sounds like you are very focused, brave, and determined, already changing the diet, exercising plan, and adding supplements. They are all important steps, and I am sure they will help you to find a balance, and live your healthiest possible life.

Please browse around the PRIMER, and if any questions arise do not hesitate to ask.
We are thoughtful, caring and supportive community, always here to help.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
ssw1120
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ssw1120 »

I plan to take full advantage of this community, as well as to contribute any new research I come across. This journey is just beginning for me. I have a concierge internist who is really open to researching AD with me. Thank you for the welcome!-Sheri