Missing more deep ketosis

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Missing more deep ketosis

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks Theresa, I appreciate you taking the time to write such detailed responses.

I have just been reading too much DHA can cause problems with oxidation in us E4s as well. I think it was higher than 3 grams a day though.

I have just recently got some avocado oil which has a small amount of lemon juice in it. I quite like it. I do 16: 8 fasting and lots of exercise too, have recently started fasting exercise.

I also have the Fatso gene (!) meaning we crave high calorie foods. Maybe that is behind my love of sat fats. I'm not sure. I just find I don't feel as full in the old and veggies. Maybe over time I can gradually get a balance.

I'm still intrigued as to whether it's a specific problem to sat fats this oxidation, as it seemed for fish oil that is also oxidised...
As mentioned in this article,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/alzh ... atins.html
"Fats come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. One dimension is the degree of saturation, which concerns how many double bonds they possess, with saturated fats possessing none, monounsaturated fats having only one, and polyunsaturated fats having two or more. Oxygen breaks the double bond and leaves the fat oxidized, which is problematic for the brain. Polyunsaturated fats are thus the most vulnerable to oxygen exposure, because of multiple double bonds.

and "We are told to avoid saturated fats, mainly because they have appeared, from empirical evidence, to be more likely to raise LDL levels than unsaturated fats. Yet these fats are less susceptible to oxidation..."

I also noticed this:

I highly recommend a recent book written by the pediatric brain surgeon, Larry McCleary, M.D., called "The Brain Trust Program"[33]. This book gives a wealth of fascinating information about the brain, as well as specific recommendations for ways to improve cognitive function and avert later Alzheimer's. Most significantly, he recommends a diet that is high in cholesterol and animal fats, including an abundance of fish, seafood, meat, and eggs. He also recommends coconuts, almonds, avocados and cheese, all foods that contain a significant amount of fat, while encouraging the avoidance of "empty carbs." His knowledge on this subject grew out of his interest in helping his young patients heal more rapidly after brain trauma.
Last edited by Orangeblossom on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Orangeblossom,

Maybe watching this video might help. In it Dr Fettke explains how eating too much sugar and fructose produces more LDL particles. He also talks about saturated fats and monounsaturated fats having only one bond, therefore providing nothing to get inflamed. Whereas the polyunsaturated oils, those with double bonds, become oxidized, release lots of oxygen free radicals and are highly inflammatory.

Dr Gary Fettke looks at the causes of inflammation and the role it plays in modern disease.
https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-gary-f ... lammation/
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Thanks theresa, Yes i have read extensively about sugars, insulin, metabolic syndrome etc, I will check it out, thanks. I have heard good thinks about him :)

I liked Dr Lustig's book Always Hungry. That was one of the first I read (he is mentioned there I noticed)