Wading in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Wading in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow

Post by drae »

Hi, my name here is Drae (or, drae). Just joined because I just read Dr. Bredesen's book.

I thought I was reading it for other people, a lot of friends of friends and family by marriage. But then, found myself in it.

My fairly varied and colorful health history includes: 40 years of prediabetes (but at least I didn't die from the out of control reactive hypoglycemia). Quite a few different diseases and times I almost died. Life turned around by spiritual, and later, cleaner eating.

Decades of: inflammation, stress filled life style, really bad sleep habits, bad other habits. food sensitivities, obesity, too little exercise, off the chart addiction, gall bladder disease (eventually healed), chronic bronchitis (eventually healed). four kinds of depression (eventually healed), subclinical low thyroid, adrenal and other hormonal issue symptoms (never bothered with a diagnosis). And, a couple more sordid things like overmedicated by doctors and probably unnecessary electroshock therapy (memory loss from that, but fought and it got better for a few decades).

Then, in my fifties and sixties came new memory loss, gradually more and more senior moments, of various kinds. I am not interested in borrowing trouble but also have enough experience to know sometimes you have to make changes.

Sounds to me like I might over-qualify on precursors with or without the gene, and at least could benefit from some serious lifestyle changes to improve brain and body health, and, yes, it would be good to know if I am on track with the gene, too.

I am 67, female, no family history of AD known, but do have the heart disease, stroke in the family.

Mostly, I just really don't want to get back on the medical/insurance system. Most of my health miracles were me doing things better (often against the advice of my doctors) or just the pure goodness of God. For the last 17 years have been living above the fray with no medical intervention, no prescriptions, losing weight slowly but steadily without dieting. I like it. Working at consistency on a few basic supplements this year. But, alas, apparently I need at least a health coach, someone to interpret the numbers. And lots and lots of change.

Naturally, a little overwhelmed by how much I want to read, study, learn, do. Although, I, for sure, know it can be done to change your life, get something under control and live instead of die. It doesn't scare me, just maybe overwhelms a little.

Since reading the book a few days ago, less sugar (again), more water, started walking (again), working on sleeping more and better. One of my main mottos: poco a poco.

I'll be reading and listening and taking some advice. Thanks for being here.
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Wading in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow: Initial Strategies toward my Personal Protocol, the first 3 months

Post by drae »

At this time, I haven’t decided if I want to find out my e4 status. I’m not sure I want to go through insurance at all.

These initial strategies are what I plan to work on for the next three months. I may put off decisions about joining in on Dr. Bredersen’s ReCODE, DNA, insurance and practitioner decisions until after this first three months.

The increasing memory challenges combined with so many overlapping issues has decided me to proceed “as if.” I’m very interested in comments on strategies and or holding off on these several major decisions. Anyone?

I am reading in the primer and wiki, primarily on basics of this initial plan:

Lower insulin resistance, quit sugar, add intermittent fasting.
Exercise 5-6 days per week starting with walking.
Bump sleep hygiene: bluelight glasses, sleep mask, wakeup time.
Reduce stress daily: devotions, laughter, recreation.
Eat a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients, water and teas.
Practice cognitive exercises 3 hours weekly and learn a new skill.
Increase social engagement quantity and quality (volunteer, play).
Swallow selected supplements daily and on time.
Heal my leaky gut.
Reduce inflammation in my body, drop dairy and wheat.
Improve dental and general hygiene.
Lower my blood pressure.
Avoid hitting my head hard enough to sustain a concussion.

BTW, where should a post like this have been posted?
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wading in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow

Post by ru442 »

Your in the right place telling Your Story :)

That's a long list, don't overwhelm yourself if you don't think you can commit. Diet, Sleep, and Exercise would be good starts, especially eliminate sugars and grains and start doing IF slowly over time (took me a few months). Once you have that down, some of the IR and gut issues may get better enough you won't have to worry too much about leaky gut. Pepper in the other things as you get a handle on the first 3, some are easier than others.

Proud of you for making changes despite not knowing your APOE status... You will feel SO much better either way.

RU
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
sylvieJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sylvieJ »

Hello Drae, and welcome to the forum.

We are happy that you have found this community and great that you found the primer. Love your motto and those are great places to start. I would suggest once you feel good about those, maybe try to add a rainbow of colours to your dinner each day. Eat the rainbow!

There are many experienced members in this community who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Please reach out and post your questions. We are all here to share and support.

Most warmly
Sylvie
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

ru442 wrote:
Proud of you for making changes despite not knowing your APOE status... You will feel SO much better either way.

RU
Thank you, RU, for the encouragement, especially since I was feeling iffy about my decisions. Very helpful.

I should have given a shout out to Stavia, because I had been thinking about a list of basic priorities I could get started on but did not pull it together until I kept going back to her list in the primer: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 418#p15617

I've forgotten how to make a link.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

sylvieJ wrote:Love your motto and those are great places to start.

Most warmly
Sylvie
Thank you very much, Sylvie, for the warm welcome! The "poco a poco" (little by little) motto has helped me many times and has resulted in learning I can climb any mountain if I am willing to take small enough steps. =)

Very glad to be here and especially grateful for the encouragement. Today I am reading Dr Gundry's Diet Evolution and still in the Primer: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418#p15617

Last night I walked my fifth day (streak) in the almost freezing rain and dark: first time over 1 mile (30 minutes). I'm thinking I will keep the walking at 30 minutes and let the speed increase the mileage gradually, to work up more of a sweat.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Good work drae! I also like the poco a poco, partly because I find it better fosters awareness of being in the moment than does trying to ‘focus’ on too much and distant goals all at once. The odd thing is one can do both, but it’s the appreciation of the small steps when they’re occurring that brings me into the moment and reduces stress. I remember once in my 20s thinking, ‘The slower I go, the further I get, and the faster I get there’. On that note I’ll slowly and mindfully step my way to bed ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

circular wrote:...I remember once in my 20s thinking, ‘The slower I go, the further I get, and the faster I get there’.
Thanks, Circular, I just saw this. Funny, I have been talking about that very thing with a friend this weekend. You might want to look up the movie Remember the Goal about a cross country coach and team. I was climbing a steep trail in New Mexico when I realized I can do anything if I am willing to go slow enough, to take short enough steps. I still often think of that. This was a good reminder for me today, thanks!

And then there is my son with his Get Rich Slowly plan... LOL

Drae
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

drae wrote:... I can do anything if I am willing to go slow enough, to take short enough steps.
[/quote]

Hope, perseverance, bravery, and gratitude - all rolled into one.
Last edited by Jan on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Jan wrote:
drae wrote:
circular wrote:... I can do anything if I am willing to go slow enough, to take short enough steps.
Hope, perseverance, bravery, and gratitude - all rolled into one.
Just to clarify, drae gets the credit for that one ;)

I’m going to check out Remember the Goal, thanks!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.