Michelle wrote:So my doctor started me on a mold detox program while waiting for the urine test results. After about 2 weeks on this program, I got incredibly sick with bronchitis that turned into pneumonia (which I've never had before). I had to stop the detox, went on heavy antibiotics and steroids, and it took about 5 weeks to get better. Has anyone ever gotten sick like this from a detox? I'm waiting to speak with my naturopath about all of this, to see if she thinks it's all related. She did say that if I had mold issues, the detox would make me sick (and if no mold issues I wouldn't feel anything from the detox), but I'm just not sure if getting sick w/ pneumonia was just a coincidence.
There are many forms and formulas for detox, so it's hard to address your specific situation. I am not a mold detox expert, but I have never heard that getting sick from mold treatment is expected if you have mold. Sounds to me like too much for the individual, with a smaller dose and slower ramp up indicated. The timing of your pneumonia sounds potentially suspicious, but could also be a complete coincidence. Anyone else with this kind of experience?
Michelle, I’m sorry to hear about your challenges. I’m wondering if you responded the way you did because you are still experiencing significant mold exposure, not actually due to the detoxing. Or maybe it’s a combination of both.
I have not
had a similar experience with detoxing, at least not to the extent you have. When I was doing far infrared sauna six days a week, I did experience three cold sores within a relatively short period of time, maybe 3-4 weeks apart for each one. Also, my homocysteine shot up to 12. My FM practitioner suggested I cut back on my sauna usage, and I doubled my methyl folate to 800 mcg. My homocysteine then dropped back down to 5-something, and the frequency of cold sores decreased.
Yesterday, I came across a Paradigm Change blog post that summarizes 19 key takeaways of a recently published book, Lyme Disease Supercharge
. See point #2, where the blogger discusses how mold compromises the immune system, making people more vulnerable to infections. This post talks about extreme mold avoidance, which most people don’t need to do, so please don’t let that scare you. Still, the point about mold weakening the immune system sounds reasonable to me.https://paradigmchange.me/wp/supercharge/
I should add that the naturopathic gastroenterologist I saw in recent months for hydrogen sulfide SIBO believes my mold toxicity was the root cause of the SIBO. SIBO is an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine. As far as I’m concerned, that’s a type of infection. I had it for YEARS. And I had multiple significant mold exposures since childhood.
This week, I sent in my 3rd urine sample for the Great Plains mycotoxins test (GPL-MycoTOX). My second test showed vast improvement from my first test. I hope this third one (exactly one year since my second test) shows I’m doing even better.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!