Gs141 increased risk

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NHchic
New User
New User

Gs141 increased risk

Post by NHchic »

Hi. My name is Cindi. I had done the 23andme DNA test and told I have the apoe4 gene.

I assumed this would occur as my maternal grandmother developed Alzheimer's.
I uploaded info into Prometheus and found I have apoe3 and 4.

Does this mean potentially even more risk?

I'm 49, good health. No memory issues.
Just concerned.
What type of doctor would I seek out to discuss this info?

I know having these genes doesn't mean I'll get the disease. However, want to be proactive.

Thank you.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gs141 increased risk

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome Cindi!
You've joined a very supportive and caring community with an amazing depth of combined knowledge where you can continue to post questions as they come up. You can also research topics by clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right of your name (top right corner) to find existing threads of interest.

Dr. Stavia's Primer is an excellent resource to get started learning more about what you can do to support your health and clarity. The Primer can be found in the "Getting Started" tab and then click on "An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies." Another great resource is the book "The End To Alzheimer's" by Dr. Dale Bredesen. This is a great book full of hope for our future!

Regarding the type of doctor to seek out, Dr. Bredesen is in the process of training providers in his protocols. You can find more information here website: http://www.drbredesen.com, email: info@drbredesen.com , phone: (800) 450-0805. You can also look under the Practitioner Reviews tab in the Forums or the APOe4 wiki list https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Awar ... ctitioners

Being proactive about your health and future is such a positive way to look at this and will certainly help you maintain your current good health. Everyone's experience is different so keep reaching out and asking questions as you learn more.

Hugs to you and again, welcome!
Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

NHchic wrote: I uploaded info into Prometheus and found I have apoe3 and 4.

Does this mean potentially even more risk?
Welcome NHChic;

I may be misinterpreting your question, but here goes..the presence of an ApoE4 gene increases your potential risk for AD. ApoE3 implies average risk. So with an E3/E4 combination, your risk is in between a 3/3 and a 4/4. Many people with AD have the ApoE3 genotype, given an average risk of developing the disease. Some people with ApoE4 never develop AD. Various studies quote different percentages of risk for the various genotypes, so it is hard to pin down.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi NHchic,

As Slacker pointed out, studies come up with very different numbers on the "risk" of dementia based on ApoE 4 status. Some of that is because of the size of a study, sometimes it's because much of the early work on dementia relied on people diagnosed with dementia, rather than looking at the "healthy elderly". Your grandmother, for example, may have had multiple risk factors that you don't have, such as undiagnosed or controlled diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation, heart disease, as well as a diet high in additives that are no longer used, and a lack of access to protective factors such as education, mid-life cognitive challenges, social supports, etc.

A recent meta-analysis used 4 studies in the U.S. and Europe that followed large numbers of people for many years, including the Framingham Heart Study, to try to get the best current estimate of the lifetime risk of being diagnosed with either mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or dementia before age 85. Their finding was that the risk was 20-25% for people with one copy of the ApoE4 allele and one copy of ApoE 3. Based on what you found out, that seems to be your profile, which is sometimes referred to as being an ApoE 3/4 or an ApoE 4 heterozygote.

Here's the title of the article, which is available online, and the relevant quote (emphasis added by me).
APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e3 and -e2/e2).
http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/a ... ed.1002254

By the way, if your "name" refers to New Hampshire as being your chic home state, consider me a fan, having spent time vacationing there and traveling through on the way to laid-back Maine. Best of luck in learning enough to know that living life with joy, even while striving to reduce risks where possible, is doable.
4/4 and still an optimist!
NHchic
New User
New User

Post by NHchic »

Thank you so much to all of you for this great info. It's so overwhelming. I will read the suggested articles and I'm very grateful to have found this forum.
And yes, I live in NH! For many years, however from Massachusetts originally. Love Maine! It's so beautiful.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Yes, it is overwhelming. No need to go from zero to 80 mph in 6 seconds. Members like Julie G and Stavia have been studying this for years (not to mention that Stavia is an MD). Start with the more simple stuff, move on based on your interest. With no symptoms of cognitive decline, you have the luxury of taking your time.
Slacker
E4/E4