Hello

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
sehalpern
New User
New User

Hello

Post by sehalpern »

Hi everyone,
I just joined today and wanted to introduce myself. My mom started showing overt symptoms of cognitive decline about 6.5 years ago at the age of 64 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years later. Everyone in my family was shocked to learn about her diagnosis since we had no family history of Alzheimer's prior to hers. Her doctor tested her APOE status and found she is a double APOE4 carrier, which makes me at least a single APOE4 carrier. I haven't done my 23 and me testing yet (I want to get life insurance and long term care coverage before I do that) so I'm not sure if I am a double or just a single APOE4 carrier. This disease has been haunting me for the past 6 years and as I am now 42 I am beginning to do some research on hormone replacement therapy for my menopausal years and all of the neuroprotective steps I can begin taking now. I'm grateful that this community and its resources are here.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome to the community sehalpern!

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis. My mother was also diagnosed in her 60's and I have the APOe4 genetics too.
This is a great community that is so full of knowledge, information and hope so please feel free to ask questions as they come up.

If you haven't already, I invite you to check out the Primer written by a physician member for great tips on retaining your heath and clarity. You'll find it under the Getting Started Tab and then click on An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies.

Dr. Dale Bredesen has written a book called "The End of Alzheimer's" that has a protocol for preventing and reversing cognitive decline. I found it to be a must read for me.

Whether you test your genetics or not, you can always choose to follow the protocols to prevent cognitive decline. I didn't get tested until just a few months ago after deciding to pursue hormone replacement therapy but have been following a low to no inflammation regime for 6 or 7 years now and am so thankful that I have been.

Hugs to you as you embark on this journey. Know that this community is here to support you along the way.
Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi sehalpern;

I have a brother who was diagnosed with AD 2 years ago at age 57, the first in my family. I am using this website, and the help of a Bredesen trained physician, to help me optimize as much as possible to avoid reaching the same point as my brother.

I'm intrigued by your thought of doing additional genetic testing. What would you do differently if you had one vs two E4 alleles? There is a great overview on testing that you may find useful in making a decision, here.

In the meantime, I second Carrie's suggestion of the primer. It's an excellent place to start.
Slacker
E4/E4
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi, sehalpern, glad to have you join us! And second the idea of proceeding "as if." The lifestyle changes recommended in Stavia's Primer and on the site will make you healthier, whether you are homozygous or heterozygous. I like your focus on neuroprotective steps, and you may have already discovered the voluminous posts on HRT. (Our resident physician Stavia is working on a summary of all of it.) But you can locate posts on any subject using the site search function - the three stacked squares at the top right of each page.

We welcome questions, and are so glad to have you join us!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.