Another E3/E4 newbie here

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
lbraddy
Contributor
Contributor

Another E3/E4 newbie here

Post by lbraddy »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site - I came here after reading Dr. Bredesen's "End of Alzheimer's" book. I have read the Primer and a lot of related posts, but I still have some questions.

I am a 55-year old female who has been eating a basic keto-type diet since July, and I recently connected with a functional medicine practitioner in my area. We did the whole gamut of tests (thyroid and other hormones, food sensitivities, vitamin and mineral levels, inflammatory markers, blood lipids, glucose, insulin, all that), including the genetic test for the ApoE gene, and I found out I am E3/E4.

I understand the significance of the E4/E4 version of the gene in terms of the increased risk for developing AD, but I'm not clear about the significance of my version, the E3/E4.

For example, Dr. Bredesen recommends that someone with E4/E4 not consume MCT oil or coconut oil because those are saturated fats (although it seems weird to me that MCT oil is saturated fat since it remains liquid), but it's not clear to me if that applies to someone who is E3/E4. My understanding at this point is that everyone could benefit from some version of Dr. B's protocol, regardless of your ApoE version, but I also understand that coconut oil has some health benefits, correct? So I'm trying to figure out where to go from here in terms of my diet.

I would appreciate any additional information and advice you can offer me, and I look forward to learning more about this community.

Thank you!
Linda
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Another E3/E4 newbie here

Post by slacker »

My take on Dr Bredesen's recommendation for E4's is that he means for one or more alleles, not just for 2. Those with one E4 are at less risk for AD than people with two, but still at higher risk than those with none (ie any combo of 2's and 3's). But even E3's and E2's can get AD. The saturated fat in coconut oil and MCT oil can help with getting into ketosis, but may have possible cardiovascular downsides for E4's, since we are also at higher risk for cardiovascular disease. Dr Gundry, a cardiovascular surgeon, also recommends avoiding these two plant based fats for E4's. I suspect that both experts are making recommendations based on their experience in working with our population and monitoring lab results.

As you browse through the website, you will find that members have different opinions on the risk (or lack thereof) for any type of saturated fat intake, both plant and animal based, for E4's. It is an evolving field with a lot of unknowns.
Slacker
E4/E4
lbraddy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lbraddy »

Thank you so much, this is all very helpful!
I'm willing to forgo the saturated fat, but then I wonder what else I can use other than EVOO and avocado oil?
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi Linda
Welcome to the forum!
Here is the link to the fats section in the primer:
search.php?keywords=coconut&t=1418&sf=msgonly
Slacker gave a very good advice. And there are very useful things to do with nutrition, sleep, stress, relationships, exercice. It is all these lifestyle factors that can make a difference.
For lipids, most of the information from functional medicine doctors is to look at the LDL particle size as well.

Again welcome
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
lbraddy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lbraddy »

Thank you so much! I'm happy to be connected with you all in this community.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Macadamia oil could be a choice. Dr. Steven Masley - a cardiologist - mentioned recently that Macademia oil is a good one.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
lbraddy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lbraddy »

Ah, good to know! I appreciate all the info.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

For example, Dr. Bredesen recommends that someone with E4/E4 not consume MCT oil or coconut oil because those are saturated fats (although it seems weird to me that MCT oil is saturated fat since it remains liquid), but it's not clear to me if that applies to someone who is E3/E4. My understanding at this point is that everyone could benefit from some version of Dr. B's protocol, regardless of your ApoE version, but I also understand that coconut oil has some health benefits, correct? So I'm trying to figure out where to go from here in terms of my diet.
In addition to slacker's info, it's worth noting that coconut (and MCT) oil can directly bypass the reduced cerebral glucose utilization that accompanies ApoE4. It is metabolized quite differently and much more quickly than other fats used to achieve ketosis. As such, It's especially useful for those dealing with insulin resistance. However, as glycemic markers (and cognition) improve, Dr. Bredesen recommends that E4 carriers move away from those exogenous sources and utilize other "heart healthy" fats to achieve ketosis to address our neuronal fuel shortage. The only reason for his recommendation is the elevation in advanced lipids that many E4 carriers experience when using coconut (and MCT) oil.
lbraddy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lbraddy »

Thank you, Julie. This makes sense.