23andme Christmas Hangover

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

23andme Christmas Hangover

Post by julespaps »

Hi all

As you can guess I received my report on Christmas Day whilst preparing brussel sprouts. My heart was thumping as I opened the report and there in bold black letters was the details that I feared I was indeed a 4/4 variant :(

A little about my history. My mother died of Alzheimer's just over a year ago after a long 10 year battle. She was 78 years old. I am a 47 year old male, who exercises regularly and would say I am fairly healthy. I do not smoke but do like a social drink or two with friends. My diet is moderate I would say with the odd take away here or there but generally ok but could be better.

ill be honest the past two days I have been in a daze so to speak as it has hit me pretty bad. Even now when Iook at it I was expecting to have at least on of the genomes but 2 was a surprise. My father is 83, Italian and quite healthy for his age with no signs of any dementia.

So....I found this forum (thank God) and I am weighing up my options. I am reading a lot about introducing Vitamins B and Folic acid into my diet would help slow progress of any impending AD.

Long and short is. Is it all doom and gloom or do us E4's have a fighting chance.

Thank you

Julian
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme Christmas Hangover

Post by Stavia »

hi Julian
no it's not all doom. There is good evidence that negative lifestyle factors increase risk and conversely from trials such as FINGER, addressing simple lifestyle factors decreases risk.
Have a look at the Primer - it puts forward uncontroversial measures that will decrease your risk. I suggest focusing on the big ticket items such as exercise, sleep, stress, glycaemic control first so they become habit, before tackling supplements.

viewtopic.php?t=1418

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi Julian - julespaps
I'm really sorry for your mother! And it's quite very nice to have your father healthy.
As Stavia wrote, the lifestyle change is key. And as I heard many functional medicine doctors in many different disciplines: they always refer to the lifestyle changes first!
Welcome to the forum!This is a great place to be where you can get lots of information and support. One of the best places to start is the primer. Stavia provided the link.
Everyone's experience is different and you will see that here. Also, the primer takes you to places that really do help in reversing cognitive decline.
In addition to the forum, The End of Alzheimer's book is a great reference. It's by Dr Dale Bredesen - a leading pioneer in the field. It is written for lay people and easy to understand.
Again welcome Julian
Warm regards
Lucie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by julespaps »

Hi Stavia\Lucie

Thanks for your kind words. I have already ordered the Dr Breseden book so will see what I can do.

Really good to talk with people who have a similar diagnosis.

All the best

Julian
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

julespaps wrote:and there in bold black letters was the details that I feared I was indeed a 4/4 variant
Julian,
Welcome. I too am a 4/4 and want to address your question,
julespaps wrote:Is it all doom and gloom or do us E4's have a fighting chance.
No, it's not all doom and gloom! Fighting chance? Absolutely! The ApoE4 allele has served man well since man evolved to become human. It's the other alleles that mutated, and they only came about recently in evolutionary terms, so I feel ApoE4 has lots of beneficial attributes, it just needs proper care and feeding. Unfortunately, the diet and lifestyle of modern man does not serve our genotype well, but these are things that can be addressed.

There's lots of ammunition out there for you to win the fight. This journey has been a very positive experience for me. I thought I was basically leading a healthy life before learning my ApoE4 status but I've learned so much as a result of this journey. I learned I was doing things that really weren't so healthy. I've made some diet and lifestyle changes and have been grateful for every moment since learning my status to be able to employ strategies to beat this beast before it has a chance to raise its ugly head.

There's popular saying, 'genetics are not destiny." Just because we have to live in room with certain furniture doesn’t mean we can’t rearrange the furniture! SO MUCH can be done to influence one’s genes. The good news is what's good for mitigating Alzheimer's risk is also good for mitigating cardiovascular risk, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, on and on. Granted, it takes some work, there's conflicting and immature information out there, but if you just sit there and say, “woe is me” well, you’re going to get what you ask for, “woe.”

You've made a great first step by finding this website, it is a great resource, but I will acknowledge it can be overwhelming to a newbie. I lurked a LONG time before my first post. I didn’t want to sound stupid, especially since some of the subjects are addressed at such a rapid-fire pace and high level, it can be hard to keep up. Don’t let it be overwhelming, hang in there. Read the primer, read the wiki, read Dr Bredesen's book, read some of the other books recommended in the forums, search the threads to learn certain answers you're looking for, learn and don't forget to LIVE. At 47, you're in an ideal position to live a long healthy life.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
julespaps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by julespaps »

Hi Theresa

Thank you for such an enlightining message. As I said i was shocked but at the same kind of expected a higher risk due to my mum having the disease from 67.

I have ordered Dr Breseden's book and will look to incorpororate and lifestyle changes I need.

I am quite healthy I exercise regularly and have never smoked. Fingers crossed I can get the right balance so I can live the life the way I want to.

Thanks again for your inspirational words it really helps.

All the best

Julian
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Julian

I'm sure you will find the right balance because you already thinking of it. Being aware is very helpful. And Theresa is sssssso right.
Thank you Theresa to share this zest for life.

And Julian...step by step...you will be able to do it. It takes 30 days to build new connections in our brain when we're changing habits.
Think of what is important for you in your life and why you want to do these lifestyle changes.
From there, you'll work on it with motivation, proudness and serenity.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)