Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Post by circular »

drae I like your positive outlook and ability to have fun while creating new habits! I also like your idea that anyone can chip in to this thread. I don’t think of it as somehow better for beginners, because I think mindfulness is good for us, and in mindfulness every moment is approached with a ‘beginner’s mind’. That means ideally we’re all beginners every day. So that’s my one positive thought for today, and my one positive word is beginner, and my one positive action is begin. In fact I began to be a beginner again! :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

circular wrote:my one positive word is beginner, and my one positive action is begin. In fact I began to be a beginner again! :D
Wow, Circular! What a positive contribution to our thread here. I am very excited about your thinking on this. Thanks! You win two awards today. =)
  • 1. First to add their own positive progress to the thread (Thank you!)
--and--
  • 2. Most amazing positive thought so far!
=)

Yep. We do have awards here. So that is my first positive contribution today. :lol:

And, I learned how to use icons. A genuine positive addition, don't ya think? ;)

And, today, for the first time I practiced my Tai Chi warm-up to a video on YouTube (15 minutes) in addition to walking my 30 minutes, AND, I logged every walk and Tai Chi effort since January 1 on withfit.com. So, I can now add in other activities later and admire my full calendar of exercise consistency for the month (so far). :idea:

Thanks so much, Circular! You may need another award soon for showing others the way. :D

Thanks in advance to anyone else who will choose to favor us with a shared accomplishment. Even if it was to get out of bed this morning! Now that could be worth an award! :)

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Awards :!: I think that’s my first since sixth grade when I tossed a frisbee 3x through a looped hose attached to a fence on the playground, winning free ice cream for a week in the lunchroom! They announced it throughout the school over the loud speaker, and here my award was announced to a group of over 2000! It seems I’m heading somewhere in this life after all! :lol:

There’s an RDA for emoticons of at least 3 per day to achieve optimal health, and I myself have zeroed in on an affordable tai chi class ($5!). It’s a bit far so hoping I can report here that I made it one day soon :D Used to practice tai chi on the beach next to my friend who was practicing karate. That was a fun one 8-)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

The culmination positive actions, repeated:
From the first time I saw it and heard the snap of fans opening 3 and a half years ago, I fell in love with the Tai Chi Fan form, "Beauty of the Sunset". I thought "Someday. Someday."
First I learned the Yang 108 form in the class that my teacher in San Diego was teaching at that point. That took a year and a half. And then the a short Yang fan form. Almost a year. Then a cane form. And then I moved back to NM far from where my teacher lives and teaches. Six months ago, I started to try to learn "Beauty of the Sunset", one tiny move at a time. It seemed impossibly complex especially since I was trying to learn it from a DVD and a You Tube video, where all the movement are shown as mirror images. Whenever I was in San Diego I would go to a class, and even though he wasn't teaching it, my teacher would get the people who know that form to go through it once, so I could try to follow along, clumsily. Everyone was so kind, knowing how much I wanted to learn it.
Day after day, one positive action. And after all this time of saying "someday", today is the day!
Today, I can do this beautiful form on my own start to finish!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Circular, Wow, again! Of course you get an award for Choosing to Start Something New!
:D AND lol for the RDA on emoticons. Wonder how many other positive actions come with an RDA, like smiling at someone who looks like the are having a rough day or hard life?
floramaria wrote:The culmination positive actions, repeated:
From the first time I saw it and heard the snap of fans opening 3 and a half years ago, I fell in love with the Tai Chi Fan form, "Beauty of the Sunset". I thought "Someday. Someday." .......................................

And after all this time of saying "someday", today is the day!
Today, I can do this beautiful form on my own start to finish!
Floramaria, what an inspiring positive action repeated until VICTORY! You get the BIG award for Accomplishing a Dream! :D :D :D

I have already had two positive actions I am thrilled about today:

1. Woke without an alarm at 5:18. I have been working on my circadian rhythm hard since just 5 days ago when I did not sleep all night. :/

2. Did my 30 minute walk at sunrise (to help set that Circadian rhythm) and have a new PR (personal record) on distance walked. Since I started walking in early December this is the first time I logged 1.5 miles in 30 minutes. When I started I was barely a half mile in 15 minutes. So, award for me today, too! :D

Remember G. K. Chesterson: Practice makes progress!" And Post your favorite positive actions here, please, for us all to enjoy and be inspired. Remember, sometimes the smaller it is, the bigger the accomplishment.

Have a great day, everyone!
Drae
Last edited by drae on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Drae, you deserve an award for 'site ray of sunshine.' Inspired by you!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria that is huge. I learned a form I loved about thirty years ago, and all I can show for it is I forgot the name of it!

drae, very impressive focus you have!

This morning, after learning about it from a friend yesterday, I did about 15 minutes with the free Down Dog yoga app. This is big because I have EDS hypermobility and have shunned yoga for years, since if I'm not careful I can easily injure myself. Well I carefully did some poses, modified to my mess up kinetics, and have felt better for it! I'm a little nervous to continue, but if I am really mindful (maybe I should meditate before the yoga), maybe I can work though at least some of the muscle spasms. If this works I'll probably do instead of tai chi, since I can start and end the day with it in my home.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Jan wrote:Drae, you deserve an award for 'site ray of sunshine.' Inspired by you!
This could be a good thread for the support interns to direct new (and old) members to who appear to be overwhelmed.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

drae wrote: You get the BIG award for Accomplishing a Dream! :D :D :D
Drae
Like Circular, I am delighted to get an award! thanks! And thank you for giving my Award such a lovely title: "Accomplishing a Dream"

This morning , one positive action:
I followed a meditation on St. Francis' Prayer. "Let me be an instrument of thy Peace...."
I want my contribution to the world, to my community and to my friends and family to be one of kindness , love, inspiration and generosity. I do not want to counter ugliness and hate with ugliness and hate of my own. Sometimes I need to be reminded. It was a good way to start the day.

Thanks, Drae, for establishing this thread!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

circular wrote:
This morning, after learning about it from a friend yesterday, I did about 15 minutes with the free Down Dog yoga app. This is big because I have EDS hypermobility and have shunned yoga for years, since if I'm not careful I can easily injure myself.
Circular, whoa! How brave is that! I don't know what to say. What an accomplishment! Yet, maybe more Tai Chi? That could just be me. I am really so impressed with Tai Chi in general now that I finally started, and, especially with Dr. Lam and the Tai Chi for arthritis. I keep thinking could you find something that will enlarge your capacity without risking real damage? I applaud your courage. Please play safe.
floramaria wrote: This morning , one positive action:
I followed a meditation on St. Francis' Prayer. "Let me be an instrument of thy Peace...."
I want my contribution to the world, to my community and to my friends and family to be one of kindness , love, inspiration and generosity.
Floramaria, what great prayer that is, and what a wonderful sentiment you have. I believe you are sowing those very things just by your prayers and efforts and we will all reap of your kindness and generosity.

As for me, today I...

-- Stood in the kitchen window to catch the sunrise sun for 30 minutes to help fix my circadian rhythm. Because, we had 3 inches of snow and in this part of NC all stops when we get even a forecast of snow. Instant holiday! I did not want to walk on uncleared sidewalks. :D

-- Cooked up a pot of super chicken noodle soup for the household, with extra onions, garlic and some mushrooms! :D

-- Dropped everything to drive an hour to help out my son. He is the hero in the family so it was a real treat to rescue him AND got a dinner out of it with a couple hours catch up time. :D

Let's see now. What *new* positive action can I try on tomorrow? How about you?

Drae