Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Post by circular »

drae wrote:
circular wrote:
This morning, after learning about it from a friend yesterday, I did about 15 minutes with the free Down Dog yoga app. This is big because I have EDS hypermobility and have shunned yoga for years, since if I'm not careful I can easily injure myself.
Circular, whoa! How brave is that! I don't know what to say. What an accomplishment! Yet, maybe more Tai Chi? That could just be me. I am really so impressed with Tai Chi in general now that I finally started, and, especially with Dr. Lam and the Tai Chi for arthritis. I keep thinking could you find something that will enlarge your capacity without risking real damage? I applaud your courage. Please play safe.
Right you are. I could feel a slight tweak in my knee today, so my antennae are up. I love Tai Chi too. That would be a risk as well, but I may try it. I've decided (again) I need to do these things at home, because I have to modify them so much and pay such attention I'd be quickly out of sync with a class.

My positive item for today, after not having a great night's sleep, is I enjoyed one burst of energy about 6:30 pm and got half the house vacuumed :lol: Oh, I also made sure Orion made his appearance above my house again. Gazing into the night sky is a prayer for me. Everything falls into its proper perspective.
drae wrote: As for me, today I...

-- Stood in the kitchen window to catch the sunrise sun for 30 minutes to help fix my circadian rhythm. Because, we had 3 inches of snow and in this part of NC all stops when we get even a forecast of snow. Instant holiday! I did not want to walk on uncleared sidewalks. :D

-- Cooked up a pot of super chicken noodle soup for the household, with extra onions, garlic and some mushrooms! :D

-- Dropped everything to drive an hour to help out my son. He is the hero in the family so it was a real treat to rescue him AND got a dinner out of it with a couple hours catch up time. :D
You are an inspiration! All those little pleasures go a long way toward lowering stress and cortisol and thereby enhancing brain function. And the key is that you are so mindful of what you're doing, not just checking things off a list while racing rats.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

circular wrote:My positive item for today, after not having a great night's sleep, is I enjoyed one burst of energy about 6:30 pm and got half the house vacuumed :lol: Oh, I also made sure Orion made his appearance above my house again. Gazing into the night sky is a prayer for me. Everything falls into its proper perspective.
Circular, those are all awesome!
1. great night's sleep! :D
2. burst of energy! :D
3. gazing into night sky! :o

Congratulations!

I especially like the addition of gazing into the night sky into my potential repertoire of wonderfulness. =
Notice I already used my 3 emoticons for the day. :lol:

For me today, it is more like breakthroughs:

1. Last night was the first night since joining here that I have not craved a late night snack. Something must be working!
2. So today is the first day I truly fasted from the cup of tea after dinner last night to my first meal of the day at noon today (brunch). Both feel wonderful!
3. And in line with those, I have been doing 20 minutes BrainHQ 6/days per week. Today it told me I have done 28 days (somehow more meaningful to me than 30). And, my percentile has gone up 20+. Yippee!

Also, since we are celebrating breakthroughs, can I have one brag on my weight? It took me 20 years to put on an extra 150 pounds. Yes, my BMI was 42 :shock: Today I realized I have lost about 11 inches off my hips, waist and bust, each. I am going to get a tape measure (per Dr. Stavia) and start measuring my waist. I weighed at the first of the year (and will weigh every month). In the last 13 years I have lost 57 pounds. I am eager to see if the changes in eating and exercise add up to more lost, but want to wait until February 1 to see.

Also, I just remembered. Doing Tai Chi is proving to help get rid of some pain I have been having. WOW! Tai Chi over Nsaids!

It really hit me today that if I keep doing these things I can truly get my mind and my life back. I am awestruck. Thanks for all the great inspiration and ideas, everyone. Your successes inspire me to do my simple daily improvements.

Gonna go look for the stars tonight...
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Great report drae! :o :!: :arrow: I’ll leave a PM for you in the Orion Nebula!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Wowsers, Drae!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Drae, I'm so pleased you are sharing your progress with us.
Starfish
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Great exercise!

Gratitude and listing three things each days is meant to have health benefits and sets our mind in a good frame of mid for sleep I was just reading. So even doing this practice has health benefits ;)
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

How wonderful is this thread?

Good on you, Drae.

Usually stress reduction gets a brief, passing mention in learned circles. But cortisol can be like a tsunami in the body. Doing everything else right while drowning in cortisol is like building a raft out of matchsticks.

Drae is building a mighty ship that can sail through most storms.

Thanks to all who are giving expression to the best in each of us: love, kindness, patience, forgiveness of self and others. Those could easily merit a place in a highly effective protocol for a great life (in which AD risk reduction is one useful benefit).

Keep sailing, Drae! Keep inspiring us.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Wowser is right! Circular, Jan, Starfish, Orange Blossom, Searcher... =)

I am so impressed to see all your kind and inspiring comments!

Here is my positive action for the day:

Fitted both my meals into the 12pm-6pm window. 8-)

Now here is a challenge for you all. How about each of you come back and post one positive action from your day? This is going to mean so much more if we can get more people posting, which we all enjoy and are inspired by. A veritable social feast is possible! Come'on now... Don't be shy. Just think of one positive action for the day you are glad about. Or 3. =)

I know I am not the only one who is trying to stay inspired. Appreciate you all so much!
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

A positive thing - our new little bushes all survived the recent ice storm. A tiny bit of frostbite here and there, but still doing their best to grow. :-)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I like to walk, but it snowed here today, so I got on the elliptical instead to avoid the slip-sliding on the road. It would have been sooo easy to plop on the sofa with a hot chai and just watch it snow. ;)