Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just for today -- One positive thought, word, action at a time.

Post by Jan »

drae wrote:
Jan wrote:Drae, Circ has dubbed you ... Drae the Beacon of Positivity. I think you should add that to your signature on the site. :-)
Oh, Jan. What an encourager you are! That might be a hat a little too big for this head. :lol: :roll: :D

In Circular's honor, and yours, I have chosen a signature line. What do you think of it?

Drae
Everlasting beginner seems very positive to me. I like it!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Enjoyed a delicious healthy feast yesterday. Designed by me (with the help of suggestions from slacker and Lucy5 - thanks!) and prepared by a kind volunteer.

Also watched part of the series Atypical, about a young person with autism. Thought provoking. I almost never make time to watch TV or such, so it made a nice change.

Tried coffee with olive oil. Tasted disgusting. Never again, for me at least. Learning experience.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

1) Sat up late last night with a relaxation music track playing as I read another chapter of The Gene, by Siddhartha Mukhergee. I love to read, and am enjoying this book tremendously . Slept well, dreaming of DNA. (Really)
2) an early morning walk to pick up my order of 1# locally grown oyster mushrooms. Already at over 2 miles of steps for the day. Then stopped for some local pasture raised free range chicken eggs.
3) and now I am going to make a delicious omelette to break my fast.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Jan wrote:
Everlasting beginner seems very positive to me. I like it!
Thanks, Jan! Here is what I think of when I see/think it.

1) A beginner needs to make sure they always do the basics.
2) A beginner is always in a state of having much more to learn.
3) "Everlasting" reminds me I can keep this up, and last indefinitely.

Thanks to you and Circular for stimulating this realm of positive thought! :)
Searcher wrote:Enjoyed a delicious healthy feast yesterday. Designed by me (with the help of suggestions from slacker and Lucy5 - thanks!) and prepared by a kind volunteer.

Also watched part of the series Atypical, about a young person with autism. Thought provoking. I almost never make time to watch TV or such, so it made a nice change.

Tried coffee with olive oil. Tasted disgusting. Never again, for me at least. Learning experience.
Searcher, to me,those make an amazing day. Feast: what a good thing in so many ways. TV: I, too, seldom indulge. So, enjoy it very much when I do. :D Olive oil in coffee! I see you making a very unpleased face when I imagine it! I can do coconut or MCT oil in coffee, but, I am not needing to avoid saturated fats yet. Still doing the three color veggies. Well done, you!
floramaria wrote:1) Sat up late last night with a relaxation music track playing as I read another chapter of The Gene, by Siddhartha Mukhergee. I love to read, and am enjoying this book tremendously . Slept well, dreaming of DNA. (Really)
2) an early morning walk to pick up my order of 1# locally grown oyster mushrooms. Already at over 2 miles of steps for the day. Then stopped for some local pasture raised free range chicken eggs.
3) and now I am going to make a delicious omelette to break my fast.
Wow, Floramaria! Isn't it great to do such good things for ourselves and be the beneficiary too? :lol: Congratulations! May we have a brief book report when you are through?
I love this stuff!

As for me...
1. Went out earlyish and finished my 3 lab tests over two days in two cities (don't ask).
2) Treated myself to Manhattan clam chowder, salad and good chocolate for break-fast at Whole Foods while shopping for my housemate, =)
3) Went by my local senior center and walked 1.5 miles out in the sunshine. First time I have been on a trail instead of sidewalks since starting back walking in December.

Happy winter, all! Love that winter sunshine and deep blue skies. In case, of course, you are enjoying summer. LOL

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

1. Posted my labs!
2. Going out tonight to a group anniversary party. YEA!

Gotta go, be blessed!
Drae
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Drae, I think you're on to something here. Positive thoughts, especially about aging, are very healthy!
Study participants who had positive beliefs about aging were 44% less likely to develop dementia over the next four years than were their counterparts with negative beliefs.

Even after the researchers accounted for other risk factors for dementia — including smoking, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — they still found that the odds for the condition were lower among those with a positive attitude toward aging.

Also striking: The apparent benefits of positivity were even greater among the subgroup of adults whose genes put them at greater risk of dementia. In fact, the researchers said, a positive attitude toward aging could essentially erase the handicap associated with carrying a risky variant of the APOE gene.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

Full article: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0191004
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Searcher wrote:Tried coffee with olive oil. Tasted disgusting. Never again, for me at least. Learning experience.
I had to laugh literally out loud about this. I've used 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in my coffee (blended up until creamy and smooth). Not the same as ghee but it worked in a pinch. I don't think that I'll EVER use olive oil based on your learning experience. :D
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

SusanJ wrote:Drae, I think you're on to something here. Positive thoughts, especially about aging, are very healthy!...

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

Full article: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0191004
SusanJ, thank you for posting this. Especially here. I had decided to give up on this thread. I really think we need one, but maybe we need a section, like "Our Stories" but "Our Postives - Actions, Thoughts, Words."

Where we can post a new topic, like,

I ate three colors of veggies at lunch for the first time.

Or, I finally went to the Dentist!"

I really, think WE need this, and it is not about me. I am even more sold on the small positive actions than the positive thoughts. I believe positive creates positive. But, enough about me.

You, woman, are a gem!

My positive for the day: I ate dinner tonight when I just wanted to go to bed. =)

Thank you, Susan. For all you do.

Drae
Last edited by drae on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

I love this, Drae. It reminds me of a meme I saw once that said, "Always stay positive no matter what! For instance, 'Boy, I sure fell down those stairs fast!' "

Positive creates positive. Love it.

KellyS
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Drae wrote:Thank you, Susan. For all you do.
Thank you so much!

And right there, is an example of a little positive word/action we can all do. Express our thanks and gratitude to others. You remind us old-timers why we are here, why we work on this site and that we can make a difference!

And I agree. This positive focus is for everyone!