Cholesterol/Lipid Question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PhilR
New User
New User

Cholesterol/Lipid Question

Post by PhilR »

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and have found the forums very helpful, especially Stavia's introduction to APOE4, thank you. I found out I am E4/E4 last year and that my mother, who is late stage alzheimers, is also.
I have had several different cholesterol tests done in the last year and I would guess that I am what appears to be typical, from my reading, for a 4/4 - slightly higher than normal LDL, near normal HDL and triglicerides.
My question concerns my sister who prefers to not know her full APOE status, but does know she has at least one 4. She has, as far as I can tell from literature, very unusual numbers. Apparently my father had unusual numbers, as well, but he passed away 6 years ago and that information is gone now.
My sister does have a regular physical and her cholesterol numbers tested every few years, for work. The numbers have been quite consistent through her adult life. Here are her last results:

Total 169 mg/dl
HDL 105 mg/dl
LDL 58 mg/dl
Trigl 28 mg/dl

She exercises less than recommended, maybe twice a week for 15 minutes each time. Her diet is OK but does include occasional processed sugars in the form of candy bars, pie and cake, probably an average modern diet.

No, I haven't flipped the HDL and LDL numbers. Has anyone seen numbers like these from an 'average' person. We are just looking to get some insight here - are these numbers associated with any known gene abnormalities, is there any obvious downside potential associated with numbers like this.

Any/all feedback appreciated.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Cholesterol/Lipid Question

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, PhilR! Unusual, indeed. The first thang that came to mind for me is Dr. Bredesen's Type 3 form of Alzheimer's which you can read about here. He recognizes low TGs as a symptom. Could your sister have had any toxic exposures? Mold, tic-borne illness, any chemical toxins? Given the very long prodromal period, she wouldn't necessarily be showing symptoms.
PhilR
New User
New User

Post by PhilR »

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply JulieG. No known toxic exposure, maybe tics where she currently lives. She has no symptoms that could be correlated to a long term sickness or dimentia. She is 57 years old. We had assumed some odd genetics at play as she has had these numbers for at least 35 years, while moving around the country many times, and we do know our father's odd numbers included very high HDL.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hello, PhilR. I'd like to add my welcome Julie G's. I am sorry to read that your mother in in late stage Alzheimer's. It sounds like you have already found the Primer. It is a great tool as you are familiarizing yourself with the strategies for minimizing the effects of ApoE4 on longterm health.
Though lipids are not an area of expertise for me, there are people on this site who are very knowledgable about about cholesterol and lipid panels; hopefully, some of of them will weigh in and offer more insight into your sister's unusual lipid profile. It is very interesting thatshe has these numbers given her lack of exercise. I have one friend who has similar numbers but she is both very conscientious in her food choices and also runs 50 + miles a week and competes in races.
There is a section in our WiKi on Lipids that you might want to read. You can access the WiKi through the three stacked dots to the right of your name. The drop down menu from the three dots also gives you access to the Search option. You can type in a word or phrase and get a list of matches. Some of the previous posts may help you to understand your sister's lipid profile, as well as other questions that come up.
We are happy that you have joined us. If you feel like telling us more about yourself, please do. We'd like to get to know you better. You can post in Our Stories. And please continue to post your questions.
We are all learning together and supporting each other on this journey.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health