Chronometer query

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ElaineB
Contributor
Contributor

Chronometer query

Post by ElaineB »

Hi
I'm new to this forum after finding I have E3/E4. I have found all the information here very helpful, especially Stavia's primer. Thank you so much. I have Dr Bredesen's book too which is also very good.

I see that a lot of you use Chronometer to track protein, carbs etc. I have been looking at it and when it doesn't say something is raw or cooked, what do we assume? For example "Chicken breast, skin removed before cooking", are the figures it gives for raw or cooked weight as they are different? Or "Tesco's beef mince", is that raw or cooked? I'm in England by the way and shop at Tesco's! I couldn't find it in Chronometer's User's Guide but perhaps I just missed it.

Could someone who uses Chronometer put me straight please?

Many thanks
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Chronometer query

Post by slacker »

Welcome ElaineB. I don't use chronometer personally, but am assuming that the macronutrient contents of raw and cooked version of the same foods may be slightly different due to loss of fluid during cooking. Hopefully one of our members who uses chronometer can answer your question more definitively.
Slacker
E4/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Elaine
Many foods shrink in weight significantly when cooked.
It depends how accurately you want to track your food intake if you take this into account.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi, Elaine, sounds like you're giving serious attention to nutrition as part of your overall prevention strategies. Wanted to commend you for that excellent step.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, it's not clear, unless they explicitly say raw or cooked. Here's a quote from their community boards:
The description of the food is the best place to determine that from. Sometimes it doesn’t clue you in and you don’t really know as the “hamburger 97%” states. In those instances you would think it is for the cooked version because most don’t typically eat foods like that completely raw. I would take those things as cooked unless they say they are “raw”. The current USDA document, SR28, giving us that data doesn’t give a black and white answer as well, but it seems to be implied that it is for the cooked version.
https://cronometer.com/blog/forums/topi ... ch-to-use/
ElaineB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ElaineB »

Thanks for the replies. I am a scientist by training and so I suppose I like the finer details of things! The quote you gave, SusanJ seems to make sense, since Chronometer is about the food were eating. I'll assume it's cooked if not stated raw.

This is me just attempting to puzzle out things. I have taken out of my diet sugar, grains, dairy and obvious carbs as a starting point but soon I want to work towards eating the correct amounts in the right proportions. Hence investigating Chronometer. I'll get there but slowly I think!