New to ApoE4 info forum, with some questions

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
piffen
New User
New User

New to ApoE4 info forum, with some questions

Post by piffen »

Hi everyone!

I'm Peggy, 55 y.o. F. I just did my 23andme and found out I have one copy of ApoE4. Good to know, and very happy to find this group.

I've been listening to Dr. Bredesen's talks and I have a couple of questions...

1)Have any of you gotten the Neural Agility program he recommends (meditation on steroids, he calls it)?

2)I have a ketone/glucose meter, and am working on getting solidly into ketosis, but have only managed low levels (0.4-0.5) and keep falling out of ketosis, despite avoiding carbs. ???

3) I've been interested in the micro biome for a while, and finally, after hearing a few talks about a new company (Viome), decided to send in a "sample" and find out about my micro biome. They give you an analysis of your gut micro bacteria and tell you what to eat. For me, they recommended moderate carb (!!??), and to avoid all saturated fats (including my beloved avocados and coconut oils). They also recommended avoiding salmon, mackerel, and the other SMASH fish that are high in omega 3's, and instead using chicken as one of my main protein sources. This just seems contradictory to so much of what Dr. Bredesen recommends.

Is anyone else here enrolled in Viome? What's your experience?

4) are any of you involved in the Recode program where you pay the monthly fee? what does it involve? is it worth it?

Thanks so much to everyone!

Peggy
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New to ApoE4 info forum, with some questions

Post by KellyS »

Good morning, Peggy, and welcome!

This is a wonderful place for you to be, everyone here is very knowledgeable and the support you'll get from fellow members is second to none. The first thing we like to recommend for new members is to check out the primer, which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

You will find a ton of information here, as well as a glossary to go over any terms you're unfamiliar with.

The ketogenic diet plan is a wonderful diet. There are many sources out there, and I think everyone has a favorite. One of my favorite go-to sources is a podcast by Dr. Ben Lynch, this video here is not very long at all, but it just gives a small overview on the diet. Dr. Alessandro Ferretti is also a good source when it comes to this, and has a great program with Dr. Lynch, but it costs $47.

https://www.drbenlynch.com/the-ketogeni ... in-health/

https://www.drbenlynch.com/product/unde ... enic-diet/

I will check with others on the Neural Agility, Recode and Viome programs and ask them to post their experiences for you.

Welcome, again!

KellyS
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

piffen wrote:2)I have a ketone/glucose meter, and am working on getting solidly into ketosis, but have only managed low levels (0.4-0.5) and keep falling out of ketosis, despite avoiding carbs. ???
How's your protein intake? The body produces glucose from protein when it is overfed protein. The wiki on Ketosis and Ketogenic diet https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Ketosis_and_Ketogenic_Diet says the general rule of thumb for eating on a ketogenic diet is 70% -75% fat, 15% - 20% protein, and carbs 5%-10% or less than 50 grams of net carbs. But it is variable by individual which is where a ketone/glucose meter comes in handy.

Also recognize that I understand ketones raise as the day goes on, so if testing ketones first thing in the morning, you are likely testing them at their low point.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi Peggy - delighted to have you with us. We do have members on the site registered with ReCODE, I hope they will post their responses. Let me point out our site search engine, which is the three stacked squares at the top right of each page. There is a gold mine of threads within the files of the site, and likely a discussuon on just about any topic you can think of. Welcome again!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Peggy, here's two observations on my part.

1) I used Neuroagility for a little while, but didn't feel much of a change of any kind. However, I have meditated for years (MBSR, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4280) so maybe I didn't "need" it.

3) I have not had any experience with Viome. However, there is so much science doesn't know about the microbiome, that it seems a bit of a stretch to tell you what to eat with that level of precision. If your labs show good results and your gut is healthy (no bloating, gas, IBS, etc), then I can't see that you should change your diet because Viome thinks you should. And if your gut isn't healthy, I'm guessing it's not going to become healthy by eating chicken instead of fish.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

piffen wrote:
4) are any of you involved in the Recode program where you pay the monthly fee? what does it involve? is it worth it?
Hi Peggy;

I am not using the Recode service, but I do have an opinion! For a better answer on what the monthly fee covers, or what the Recode program involves, I suggest calling MPI Cognition directly to get their explanation. If you want to follow the Recode protocol, and want to work with a physician who has training on the protocol, then signing up for the service would be the most valuable for you.

If no one else weighs in on your question, you may want to create a new post, with a title specific to your Recode questions (for example: value of ReCode monthly service? or Anyone signed up for ReCode monthly service?), so that your question(s) are more visible to members.
Slacker
E4/E4
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Hi Peggy,

Welcome! My sister has mid stage Alzheimer’s and for that reason I have enrolled her in Recode and found her a practitioner. The practitioner is Bredesen trained but would have treated her with or without Recode, in much the same way. We will be watching Dr Bredesen’s monthly Town Hall event this Feb 19, which is a perk. But otherwise, if saving money is a concern, my opinion is that Recode is nice to have, but is not necessary to follow the program. It’s just a bit more support.

There is SO much to learn on this site. I joined in September and am still reading through so many threads and voices.
Hughette
3/4
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

Ask and ye shall receive! So many members with so much knowledge. =)
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Hi Peggy,
I did sign up for ReCode.. As you know, it is $75 per month with a year's commitment. I think I decided to do it because everything seemed overwhelming at the beginning -- I just really wanted concrete, clear cut answers on what I needed. It is nice to get the reports when lab work is done, and as mentioned above the town hall meetings monthly are great. Plus you get a BrainHQ subscription. However, as finances are limited for me, I will not be continuing after my commitment runs out. I now realize that I prefer the small steps approach and accumulating knowledge. I probably would feel differently if I were already having symptoms of cognitive decline. At 52, I do feel like I have time, however don't want to be making any large mistakes! My report has given me 25 supplements to start off with all at once, and I'm not comfortable doing that. So I'm still left to try to figure out which ones are priorities. Also, it is not quite as personalized as I had thought-- computer generated. But that is just my situation, I'm sure it makes complete sense for others. The community on this website are a wealth of knowledge and support!