ApoE status confusion

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

ApoE status confusion

Post by Mechelle »

I purchased 23andMe, and they said I have the ApoE4 gene. I was trying to figure out if I have 2 ApoE4s or something else by running the data on FoundMyFitness (which is a wonderful site a member here mentioned). FoundMyFitness had this to say about the raw data from 23andMe: "This genotype could either be APO-E1/E2 or APO-E2/E4. It is ambiguous". Then I ran my raw data thru Promethease, and they said:" APOE E2/E2 most likely". At this point, I am not sure what to do next. Is it typical for results to say such different things on different sites? Thanks for any insight!
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: ApoE status confusion

Post by Harrison »

If you login to 23andme, browse to your raw data and check these two SNPs:

rs429358 and rs7412

Then consult this page: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE

ApoE2, ApoE3, and ApoE4 make-up 99% of the apoE genotypes. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than having a genotype other than a mix of those three.
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ApoE status confusion

Post by Mechelle »

Thanks, Harrison. Since the result from snpeida.com is "Apo-ε1/ε3 gs270 (C;T) (C;T) ambiguous with ε2/ε4", then I will just assume that I didn't win the lottery, and thus am 2/4, rather than 1/3. I still found it interesting that Promethease stated I was APOE 2/2. If I had only run my data thru that program I wouldn't even know that I was ApoE 4. I wonder how normal it is that data is being misinterpreted? Thanks for your help!