Howdy from Tucson, AZ!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
backwalker
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy from Tucson, AZ!

Post by backwalker »

Just listened to Dr. Dale Bredesen on the Awakening from Alz Summit and have just read his book. I have been following the AIP protocol with some re-intros for 6 years and morphed into Keto w IF about a year and a half ago. I am ApoEe4 with a copy from both parents. I seem to be maintaining pretty well for a 58 year old. No cognitive decline. I just scored 30/30 on the MoCA and many of my diet, ex and supp holes in my roof seem to be patched. I usually see a fx med doc but I had some trouble lining up the values from his testing with the results Dr. Bredesen was looking for, so I am getting labs from my Primary Care Physician in a few weeks. Last labs were 1/22/2017, blood sugars and chol a bit high. I am looking for some answers to the saturated fat on keto suggestion. I will need a new fx med doc soon. My hormones need some balancing... Good to be here.
"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." ~Art Williams
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Howdy from Tucson, AZ!

Post by Jan »

Hi, backwalker, welcome! You're definitely way ahead of the curve. Very comprehensive grasp of the issues on your part. Concerning hormones, there's a really big thread on the issue here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=119&p=1088&hilit=hormone#p1088 . I re-accessed the link by putting 'hormone' into our site search engine (the three stacked squares at the top right of each page). We have Wikis on the site (same location to access), but at the moment the Hormone one is being revised. (Look for that one to reappear in the near future.) Concerning sat fat - hmmm. Lots of opinions on that, and positions of members vary. I'm not a nutritionist, so will wait for others to offer comments there.

We have a practitioner database on the site, that is in beginning stages. Here are links to the info about it: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3942&p=46449&hilit ... ist#p46449
and the thread:
viewforum.php?f=37

((( I stress: *ApoE4.Info is providing this list for informational purposes. We (management) have no direct knowledge of these practitioners and are not endorsing them. For fuller legal context, check out our Terms of Use. )))

Delighted to have you join us, and look forward to your participation. We're delighted to offer support and companionship as you continue to work on your 'roof.' :-)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
backwalker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by backwalker »

ty for the warm welcome Jan. I figured out the search bar! I have been browsing the sat fat topics. I'm a n=1 type of gal. ty for the links! I'll search Dutch Hormone Test results soon for a few questions I have. as well as look for a practitioner.
"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." ~Art Williams
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Excellent! We have a lot of members who do N=1 projects. (And keep an eye out for N=2 projects - that idea was recently introduced.) :-)

Post any questions that come up!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Mechelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mechelle »

Hi Backwalker! I live in Tucson, too. I just discovered my ApoE4 status, and this site, and love it. I'm also in my 50s and I have been keto 6 years and added IF 2 years ago. Based upon what I'm learning on this site, I've cut back on my dairy, and added more fish, olive oil, avocado and mac nuts to replace the cheese and cream. Welcome!!!
backwalker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by backwalker »

Hello! thank you for the welcome. I took dairy back out of my protocol yesterday. I guess I'll go thru all my keto pizza recipes and throw them away!!! Today I plan on going to the store and returning my coconut butter and cacao butter. I love almond butter but I seem to develop severe tendonitis from eating too much phytic acid, so I'm going to have to sub avos for that till I find more alternatives. Buying more SMASH fish today, and I thought I would try some Macadamia nut oil. I would love any suggestions you might have. any suggestions for fat bombs!?
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

Hi backwalker,
Welcome to the site and good luck with the n=1 project! Can I point you to our primer as a starting point which is an excellent resource put together by one of our members (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418)?
I'm sure you'll find lots of advice and perspectives on saturated fats here on the site and how to incorporate them - and hopefully some fat bomb recipes!
Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
backwalker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Howdy from Tucson, AZ!

Post by backwalker »

Cas wrote:Hi backwalker,
Welcome to the site and good luck with the n=1 project! Can I point you to our primer as a starting point which is an excellent resource put together by one of our members (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418)?
I'm sure you'll find lots of advice and perspectives on saturated fats here on the site and how to incorporate them - and hopefully some fat bomb recipes!
Catherine
ty so much. I did read the primer! Very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk