New, Introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

New, Introduction

Post by ncjlhp »

Hello, I have recently discovered that I carry one copy of APOE4 with a strong family history of AD on my mother's side of the family. So I was not overly surprised to find that I carry this gene. However I was surprised to find that the other allele is APOE2 which is particularly uncommon amongst people of European ancestry, like me. Of course, I started researching and doing literature searches to find out what it all means. Most things I have read do say the the APOE2 confers some type of "protection" from AD, but other articles say this only applies to men and the gender related issues do strike home for me as the women in my family have carried this burden for several generations. I do have an uncle on that side who has developed some cognitive impairment, but mildly so and he is in his late 70s?
I am not a researcher/scientist/academician. I am a dentist in my mid 60s. I am reading the literature I can find and while I do understand some of it, a lot is just confusing. What I haven't seen are studies regarding my particular genotype.
I have been basically a low carb person for the past 10-12 years and my cholesterol etc seems quite fine. I find the study of DNA to be intellectually interesting and plan on learning all that I can, but right now I remain completely confused by it all!
I am so happy to find this group!
Jan
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New, Introduction

Post by KellyS »

Good afternoon, Jan! How wonderful that you have found this site. This, my friend, is an amazing forum where you can find help in just about any topic regarding the Apoe4 gene and AD. The community here is so very knowledgeable and supportive, all ye need do is ask and ye shall receive.

We like to recommend that newcomers start out by reading the "primer." It is an excellent compilation of 'stuff' - and comes with a companion glossary for terms that may be unfamiliar to you. There is also Dr. Bredesen's book - The End of Alzheimer's - which may be of particular interest to you as well (assuming you haven't already read it, that is.)

You are so correct in that there is almost an absolute overload of information available at our fingertips today. It's a great thing to have all of this, and yet sometimes, it can be too overwhelming. You will notice on here we have an astounding array of topics on the board, there's even a recipe board for you to peruse! I would also imagine that you may find someone else on here with your particular ancestry status, regarding the Apoe2 gene, as well!

Here is the link to the page that has both the primer and the glossary listed, they are second and third on the board, respectfully, and if you need anything at all, feel free to reach out to any one of us. Have a very blessed day.
viewforum.php?f=33

Kelly S
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

Thank you so much, Kelly. I actually bought the book before I found out my APOE status, but I have not yet read it. I will do that this weekend for sure. I have already learned so much from perusing this website and also found out about StrateGene and did that this morning. Very enlightening and confusing as well. So much to work through in terms of understanding and then to apply it all to my lifestyle. A little overwhelming, but it has given me some hope as well!
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

ncjlhp wrote:Thank you so much, Kelly. I actually bought the book before I found out my APOE status, but I have not yet read it. I will do that this weekend for sure. I have already learned so much from perusing this website and also found out about StrateGene and did that this morning. Very enlightening and confusing as well. So much to work through in terms of understanding and then to apply it all to my lifestyle. A little overwhelming, but it has given me some hope as well!
Welcome to our Forum Jan.
I am sure you will find tons of useful information here. Like KellyS mentioned, I also would like you point our towards the PRIMER.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Here you will find not only an exact explanation of Apoe4 alleles, but also prevention strategies which to some degree are aligned with Dr.Bredesen's Protocol called "ReCode" (Described in his book).
You will probably notice that some of our members follow Dr. Gundry's strategies for Apoe4 carriers. You can find more information about his approche in his newest book "The Plant Paradox", and also on our site. If you wish to search for specific topic, please use our search engine by clicking on the three vertical squares located next to you login name.

There are alot of information out there, and for sure it can be very overwhelming in the beginning of a journey to an optimal health, but trust me it gets easier. Keep searching, learning, experimenting, and please do not hesitate to ask us if you get stuck, we are here to help and support.

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Hi Jan,

I’m a newbie here too. It’s funny that I bought the book a few months ago and did not start reading it. Last week I found out I am a 3/4 so I’m going to start reading it this weekend. I’m lucky to be a medical web content writer so all the science is in my wheelhouse.
ApoE 3/4