Progress Report February

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Progress Report February

Post by drae »

Here are changes for the month of February

BMI 37.6 ===> 35.4

Waist 48 ===> 47

Blood pressure 140/88 ===> 128/82

Started checking blood glucose February 12. Here are the records:
Feb Meter Readings.pdf
Just got my keto-mojo so will throw in March meter readings so far... (glucose and ketone).
Mar Meter Readings to date.pdf
Have updated my 3 new goals for the month. I really did poorly on Cronometer goals but well on the food in February, so I am focusing on increasing exercise and still working on the February goals, especially getting consistent logging on Cronometer.
Goals for March.pdf
Could use some comments concerning the glucose and ketone readings. Remember I am new to all this but it seems to be working. I consider myself 2 months into the protocol but still very much just starting the basics. My AD symptoms have calmed down but are still prevalent. The keto flu has also calmed down. I am really pushing water and salt but still had to stick 3 fingers to get a drop of blood this morning. (Drank over a gallon of water yesterday.)

By the way, where do I get potassium and what form? To put in my water with the salt.

All suggestions, explanations and comments very greatly appreciated.

And, in case you did not hear, the book review went great. Could not have done it without all the help! I think the local senior center will now be seeking more info and even programming in this direction. 8-)

Thanks, all!
Drae

Updated March 5: blood pressure (above), March 8: BMI correction
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drae on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Progress Report February

Post by slacker »

Looks like you are in ketosis! Congratulations! (hope I read your green lines correctly and am not barking up the wrong tree) :oops:

Does your blood lancing device have a setting that allows for more or less gentle finger sticks? The lancing device that came with the Precision Xtra meter had a "skin penetration depth" that could be set between 1 and 8. I was able to get more adequate blood drops if I set the depth at 3. It also helps to have warm hands before trying to get a blood sample.
Slacker
E4/E4
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

drae wrote: I am really pushing water and salt but still had to stick 3 fingers to get a drop of blood this morning. (Drank over a gallon of water yesterday.)
Slacker is correct--the lancer that came with my Keto Mojo has about 8 different settings of how deep the lance goes. You can experiment with that. It also really helps to rub your fingers vigorously under hot water before attempting to stick the finger (use alcohol and air-dry after running under water and before sticking!)
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Congratulations, Drae, on the great results you are seeing from your efforts. All the changes are going in the right direction; impressive ketone readings with the new Keto-Mojo. Those tips that you got about rubbing your finger and setting for a deeper poke were changes helped me too when I wasn't getting enough blood to do the tests when I first started using the meter.
Limiting carbs really bumped my leg and foot cramps into high gear, so I experimented with very tiny amounts of potassium chloride salts. as supplements go, this one is inexpensive, especially given that I only take 1/8th teaspoon once or twice a week at most. That seems to do the trick. those on the site with more knowledge about potassium may have better solution. Mine is Now brand.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

And My fasting blood glucose reading this morning was 121! My Ketone reading was 2.0. =)

Thanks to all of you! It is working.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Good job, Drae! Tracking is such a great way to remind yourself how far you've come is such a short time. Keep up the good fight!
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Thanks, Susan. That is a so much more reassuring reason for tracking than obsessive compulsive. ;)

Just a note that I added blood pressure for March to original post (for posterity).

Blood pressure 140/88 ===> 128/82

Drae