Question about an odd symptom.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
olymargie
New User
New User

Question about an odd symptom.

Post by olymargie »

I'm an APOe4 3/4 and I'm about six weeks into the ketogenic diet and I had a really bizarre day yesterday. Something changed in my ability to focus, to follow a train of thought. It was much more extreme than my usual challenges with short term memory. I was almost incapable of hanging on to what I was thinking. I could only be in the present moment. I wasn't confused. There was a part of me witnessing what was happening that was very clear. I wondered if I was having a stroke, but when I looked up the symptoms I could tell it wasn't that. I went about my day, went for a walk, to a writing class, to a meeting. I could drive safely. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this. My blood test was normal (1.1) It gradually lessened over the course of the day and this morning I feel normal again.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about an odd symptom.

Post by Searcher »

Olymargie,

Good to have you here.

First aid for cognition is almost always a generous pinch of salt in water. Low sodium can seriously impair cognition. If it falls low enough it leads to cerebral edema and can be life-threatening.

This has nothing to do with carrying the E4 allele, everyone is at risk from low sodium.

If eating or drinking salt doesn't work to improve cognition (usually within minutes), then other explanations can be sought.
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

Hi Olymargie,

Welcome to the site and thank you for posting, this isn’t something I’ve experienced personally but I’m sure you will find others on the site who may have.

As a new poster can I make you aware of our primer, you may have already come across it but it was prepared by one of our members and contains really useful information. It can be found here :

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

Hope you get some answers to your positing soon.

Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Welcome, Olymargie. It sounds like you were functioning well during this state you describe. Were you able to talk to people and follow conversations? I would guess so, given that you've described being in a meeting and attending a writing class. What was your state of mind, your mood, during this period of time?

Feel free to completely ignore what I'm about to say, if it seems too "out there" for you. I'm wondering if you had a spiritual experience. From what you've described, it sounds like your witnessing consciousness (often called The Witness) took the wheel from your egoic mind to give you a glimpse of what's possible beyond living out of the thinking mind (the vast majority of people live life inside their heads, thinking, thinking, thinking, and not in the present moment). In the witness state of consciousness, thoughts come and go like clouds in the sky, and we don't get lost in them. We are deeply connected to the present moment and still able to function and respond appropriately.

In 2002, after my mother died (2+ years after my father died), I was miserable and thought, "There's has to be more to life than this." I decided to take my first conscious stop on the spiritual path. I started seeing a spiritual teacher and began attending spiritual retreats. In fact, I "met" my soul at my first spiritual retreat. From then on, I believe I have a soul (I didn't prior to that). I'm not aligned with any religion.

It is my belief that The Witness is actually our soul. If any of this resonates for you, you might be interested in reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I recently started re-reading this book. If this doesn't resonate for you, that's fine, of course.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Olymargie, welcome.
Please go to your doctor to be checked out .
It's impossible to diagnose a clinical condition without access to your history, clinical notes but above all you being examined and this community does not give medical advice for acute events in a forum format. It is completely unsafe. You could have had any of a large number of causes of your episode including a TIA. (Transient ischemic attack)
Please go to a doctor today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk