Finally accepting my 4/4 news

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Finally accepting my 4/4 news

Post by CoachDD »

So sorry Nannies23 - that is a terrible way to learn of your status. May I ask if you've instructed them to remove this from your medical record? I'm considering this - and not even sure we can. I recently "learned" my status, but with a twist. . .

Like Lucy5, I also had done a heart panel (Boston Heart) all the way back in 2013 - and did not even discuss APOE4 with the doc (ND) who ordered it. I just recently pulled it out since my FMD wants to repeat it and lo' and behold, the 3/4 status is there!!! I can't believe the other doc didn't even mention it - in fact, he praised me for having such "good" numbers and asked if I was feeling remorseful or guilty that I wasn't as sick as my older siblings (or my parents who died too young - mom @ 66 and dad @ 72). No one in my family was ever diagnosed with AD, but WAY TOO MANY died young - probably too young for full-blown AD to rear its ugly head. I've long known that my family is riddled with health issues, so I am working hard to get ahead of it. At 50, I am already seeing signs of it - and also see improvements by following some of the dietary suggestions (MCT oil has been the biggest help so far!). Interestingly, I now believe that my numbers weren't so great - here are some that showed up in yellow:

HDL Map: a-3: 25.8 (<13.5 is considered optimal) , a-4: 17.0 (<13.5 is considered optimal)
Cholesterol Balance: Beta-Sitosterol: 178 (bordering high - 180 is considered high), Campesterol: 173 (mid-range of borderline - high optimal is 150)
Lipid/Lipoprotein/Apolipoprotein Tests: ApoA-l: 173.0 (>180 is considered optimal and <140 is considered high risk)
eGFR/Non-African American: 88 (>89 is considered optimal and <60 is considered high risk)

Obviously, Homocysteine levels fluctuate and I've been as high as 10.4 (June 2016), but it was 8.7 on the Boston Heart report (and in "green" which is considered within range). I'm going to post this in a separate thread and include some updated numbers when I get them. . .

Wishing you peace and please find comfort that there are many "friends" and supporters on this forum!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Nannies23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nannies23 »

Thank you all for your responses. And yes, my mother had high BP and higher than normal cholesterol, as do I, which Is why I think she did the testing. Along With the 4/4 Info I also learned I have an extremely high LDL-p number as well. So now I really don’t have a choice but to deal with it. I have been doing so much reading on diets, and it’s all so confusing. I heard coconut oil is one of the best things you can use to keep your brain strong and reduce your chances of getting Alzheimer’s. So I’ve been using it everyday, and now I’m finding out it’s really bad for your cholesterol. Soooo... now I’m looking for some kind of diet that is brain healthy and heart healthy. It hasn’t been easy.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Hi Nannies23,

I did a search for "popcorn" on the forums and your post popped up. I just watched one of Steven Gundry's videos in which he recommends sorghum popcorn as an alternative to regular popcorn. Here's the video:

I'm not sure about the carbohydrate content of sorghum popcorn, but if you're looking to avoid corn, then it might be an option.
4/4