Progesterone

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
siska
New User
New User

Progesterone

Post by siska »

Hi, I'm new here so hope you can help with a question about taking progesterone? I'm a 3/4 and have used Wellsprings progesterone cream for several years since menopause. I'm now 60 and had a hysterectomy five years ago. I take the progesterone continuously and don't use any oestrogen. How is this regime likely to affect my chances of developing AD? I read one of the articles on your site and it said "continuous P4 treatment had both a positive effect, reduction of tau hyperphosphorylation, and a negative outcome, attenuation of Aβ lowering by E2." Could anyone explain in easy English what this actually means? Should I be taking a different form of HRT? I did briefly try oestrogen gel but it had some bad effects, mostly weight gain and worsened incontinence, so I'm reluctant to go back to it. Any advice gratefully received!! :-)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Progesterone

Post by Stavia »

Hi Siska and welcome.

Here's what it means

...continuous P4 treatment had both a positive effect, reduction of tau hyperphosphorylation, and a negative outcome, attenuation of Aβ lowering by E2..

Taking progesterone (P4) every day has both a positive effect, reducing tau (one of the proteins that accumulate in Alzheimers) buildup in the brain,

and a negative effect, partially (not completely) counteracting the way estrogen (E2) reduces the build-up of amyloid (the other protein that accumulates in Alzheimers) in the brain.

Seeing you aren't taking estrogen, the second part of the sentence doesnt apply to you. But the first does.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Liko »

Hi Siska, welcome!

I am still learning myself and can't even try to top Stavia's reply to your question :)

It looks like you've already been exploring the site and that's great! The Primer, written by physician member Stavia (found in the "Getting Started" forum), and the Wiki (accessible by clicking the 3 vertical dots in the upper right of the screen) are rich in information and worth coming back to again and again.

If you're up for introducing yourself further, please share in the Our Stories forum. I hope you'll keep asking questions and sharing your experiences too.

Have a great weekend!
Kaliko
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
siska
New User
New User

Post by siska »

Thank you Stavia and Liko! Stavia, would I be better taking oestrogen as well, do you think? :-)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Siska, its complicated and at 60, not a simple yes/no answer. Youll need to read the information and talk to your doctor if it is right specifically for you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk