Test results for sex hormones

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
pharmacydoc
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Test results for sex hormones

Post by pharmacydoc »

I am a 69 year old woman. My doctor checked my hormone levels because I wake up with hot flashes most nights. I'm taking 100 mg of progesterone nightly, the 0.025mcg estrogen bi-weekly patch and DHEA 5 mg daily. My results:

estradiol 28.5 pg/ml
progesterone 1.5 ng/ml
Total testosterone 20 ng/dl
free testosterone 1.4 ng/dl
DHEA 160.5 mcg/dl
Pregnenolone 108
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin 150.5

It looks to me that either the estradiol is too high or the progesterone is too low because the ratio is 1:19 instead of 1:10 . My testosterone and DHEA are both much lower that the Bredesen guidelines. Would this warrant a higher dose of DHEA, additional testosterone, and either increasing estradiol or decreasing progesterone?

I'll see my doctor in a couple of weeks, but want to be as informed as possible before I see her.

Thanks,
Carolyn
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Test results for sex hormones

Post by slacker »

pharmacydoc wrote:Would this warrant a higher dose of DHEA, additional testosterone, and either increasing estradiol or decreasing progesterone?
In my experience, different practitioners take different approaches to hormone replacement. It would be best to discuss with them at your next appointment.
Slacker
E4/E4