My Promethease: No wonder I am confused

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My Promethease: No wonder I am confused

Post by Robhypno »

I struggle to interpret my Prometheus report regarding E4 too

Any pointers would be gratefully received
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Ades81832 wrote:Hi, I’m 37 years old, My 23 and me report says APOe4/e4 But Prometheus report say E1/E4. So is that even worse than E/4 E/4. Or even more ancient? Or possibly better?I had a higher percentage of neanderthal dna as well. I’ve always had lower HDLs but everything else is normal. I gained a ton of weight when I was pregnant. 3 times. Like 80 pounds? I don’t think I ate too much more, it was very strange. Normal HDLs through pregnancy.
Hello Ades81832 & A Very Warm Welcome To Our Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion regarding your testing results. Thank you for sharing, as other members have experienced similar situations and we can all learn from and support each other.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that regardless of your APOE testing status, you are already taking proactive steps like reaching out to your community. You are also young and have many years to optimize your cognitive and overall health using preventative measures, such as a focus on lifestyle factors. You will find additional information regarding the risk of developing Alzheimer's based on the APOE gene variants via the ApoE4.Info Wiki and on page 11 of Dr. Dale Bredesen's book, The End Of Alzheimer's. According to Bredesen, your risk of developing Alzheimer's increases to over 50% with two copies of the E4 variant (E4/E4). The great news is that genes only account for 25% of our profile and whether our genes are expressed depends on a variety of lifestyle factors such as diet, nutrition, sleep, stress, relaxation, exercise, relationships and toxin exposure. The Primer is another fantastic ​resource exploring areas such as the ​science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4.

In terms of the weight gain during pregnancy, I'm curious to know if you ever had your thyroid levels checked.

Wishing you well and again a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Ades81832 wrote:Hi, I’m 37 years old, My 23 and me report says APOe4/e4 But Prometheus report say E1/E4.
Greetings Ades81832, Welcome to the apoe4.info site and thank you for posting! You are wise to be checking your ApoE4 status but I will leave the answer to your question to someone who is knowledgeable about the interpretation. You mentioned your weight gain following pregnancy but I am wondering what your status is now and how we might be of service to you? There are many members who have opted for a proactive prevention program. If that is of interest to you please refer to our Primer, which contains valuable information about lifestyle factors that impact gene expression. Warm Regard!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Ades81832 wrote:Hi, I’m 37 years old, My 23 and me report says APOe4/e4 But Prometheus report say E1/E4.
Hi Ades;

I'm curious about how you decided to get the 23&me testing done; are you willing to share?

As you've probably read in posts made before yours in this topic, E1 is very rare. It might be worth running your 23&me raw data through another genetic analyzer to see what pops up. Some of our members use Dr Rhonda Patrick's genetic tool, which you can learn about here. It is a frustrating situation!

I agree with GLS and Sara that regardless of your ApoE status, there is much you can do now to help avoid late onset Alzheimer's and cardiovascular diseases like heart attack and stroke. Starting to make changes while you are young is ideal! The Primer mentioned by Sara is a great place to start.
Slacker
E4/E4
Ades81832
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ades81832 »

I decided to do the testing out of curiosity. I am in healthcare. Genetics is very interesting and my mom recently did the ancestry test. I entered my raw data on Prometheus and on the site listed above and they both have me as an Apoe e1/e4. It says Rare type.

Just wondering what the type 1 means. It’s hard to find any info.
Ades81832
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ades81832 »

Also regarding the weight gain from pregnancy. After child number 1 and 2 I lost all of it. With the 3 rd child. I’m struggling. 20 pounds to go, but I am older and taking care of 3 kids.