New here...

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mjtena
New User
New User

New here...

Post by mjtena »

Hello all,

Grateful to have found this site as there is so much yet to learn. I began my journey of discovery in an attempt to deal with daily headaches and migraines (ongoing for 30+ years). One day I picked up Perlmutter's book, Grain Brain. I immediately made changes to my diet and experienced immediate results - I no longer had headaches everyday!!

Fast-forward a couple of years, I continued devouring health and nutrition books, changed my girls' diets and shared what I learned with my extended family. Meanwhile, I began seeing a D.O. to address my remaining health issues. She recommended a slew of supplements (honestly, the quantity I need to take is the hardest part of this lifestyle) and also some lab work including 23andme.

I learned I was heterozygous for MTHFR a couple years ago which seemed to explain a lot of my ongoing issues. Then more recently, I saw the results of the apoE4 on 23andme. I have 4/4. I wasn't sure what it meant, but a coworker recommended Bredeson's, End of Alzheimer's book. I read it a month ago and have begun implementing the protocol. The diet was no problem and reducing my eating window turned out to be easier than expected. Last week I began incorporating cardio exercise into my regime. Next week I will add some strength-training, and hopefully within two - four weeks, add in the yoga and sauna. I have always loved learning and continue to take classes, but have also added in some Brain HQ and jigsaw puzzles.

I am a bit confused by the heart disease angle with apoE4, so if anyone has any really good books to recommend regarding hyperlipidemia or hypercholersterolemia I would appreciate it! I know this is an area of concern as my bio-dad has had heart disease since his early 30s and his side of the family has a lot of problems with cholesterol. A good book on kinesiology or the science of movement, exercise, etc. would also be much appreciated. I tend to do much better if I can read books.

Any other advice is welcome!
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New here...

Post by JML »

Welcome to the forum, mjtena! You have really taken charge of your health and incorporated some great lifestyle changes that should benefit your body and your mind! Your curiosity, persistence and love of learning are all strengths that should serve you well on this health journey. It is also great that you recognize how you learn best. I am hoping that some of the others on this site will have recommendations for you on books to help you learn more about hyperlipidemia and the science of movement.

If you haven't seen the Wiki article on Lipids, CAD and Mortality, you can check it out here.

I heard an interesting podcast (part of the Evolving Past Alzheimer's series) about "Nutritious Movement & Dynamic Aging with Katy Bowman" (episode 24). She has an interesting view on how movement can be viewed as a nutrient for our bodies. I can't remember if she also wrote a book.

Again, welcome to the forum, and we look forward to your participation here.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Hello mjtena,
I am sure you are still settling in from the news of your 4/4 status. You are not alone! We are so happy you found the website. How wonderful that you have been making such vast improvements to your diet and lifestyle! That is such big news! Your love of learning is such a wonderful character strength at this time, I am sure you will reap great rewards from this! Here is the link to this website's primer created to answer a lot of questions. viewtopic.phpf=33&t=1418
Wishing you well,
Mary Ann
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Well mjtena that link did not work!!! (sigh) Please just look for the primer under the welcome tab you will find it under " Inform yourself"
Sincerely tech challenged,
Mary Ann
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

All good MaryAnne!
I struggle at times too :)

viewtopic.php?t=1418

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk