Lab Results-Any Advice Appreciated

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Lab Results-Any Advice Appreciated

Post by Julie G »

Jenni, with a one-time low cortisol test, you really don't even know if you have adrenal fatigue.. which as Stavia points out isn't even a real "thing." The mainstream medical community calls it "HP axis dysfunction." My practitioner had me do a 24-hour salivary test, where I had to spit in tiny test tubes throughout the day while adhering to a special diet and avoiding caffeine & alcohol. OMG, no caffeine almost killed me :shock:. Everyone's cortisol changes throughout the day with highest readings in the AM. If your one-time test was fasted in the AM, there's a good likelihood that you are dealing with this, but a 24-hour test will give you the best information.

I am practicing KetoFlex 12/3, which in my case, addressed the insulin resistance, lowered the cortisol, and helped address the HP-axis dysfunction. At this stage of my journey, it's left me with cortisol that is only slightly sub-optimal suggesting that I'm healing well. (Fingers crossed ;).) Prior to using ketosis, my blood glucose was crashing within hours of eating, leaving me shaky, faint, and generally very unwell. This is disturbing when you consider that E4 carriers already have a reduction in cerebral glucose utilization. For me, it was the trifecta of being 4/4, insulin resistant, and an abrupt onset of menopause that brought on the symptoms. (Estrogen helps carry glucose to the brain.) Your practitioner seems to be operating under the illusion that KetoFlex 12/3 will stress you as opposed to remedy the situation. No worries! By the description of your diet, your fasting insulin, and hbA1c, it appears as though you're already utilizing mild ketosis as a strategy. You could begin measuring with finger sticks to be sure. (I like Precision Xtra & the KetoMojo system. Both are dual glucose and ketone meters.)

I had eaten a very low fat diet my whole life. When I finally switched to a mildly ketogenic diet, my cholesterol also shot up pretty dramatically. For many of us, it's simply part of being an E4. We tend to hyperabsorb dietary fat. Advanced lipid testing revealed that I actually had a low LDL-P so I stopped worrying about it. (More recent testing shows my LDL and LDL-P are quite low with this approach. I wonder if it's because I eat so much fiber in the form of veggies and SunFiber?) As Stavia points out, your ratios are great. Unless you have other risk factors for CAD and/or a strong family history, it may not be something to worry about. If you're over 50, it might be a good idea to get a one-time CAC score with a low radiation EBT to see if you have an calcified plaque. That will help provide you with information to guide your decisions.

This is a complicated journey. I'm glad we're on it together. Keep up the great work!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

And the once off early morning cortisol should be done early to be the most accurate. Definitely well before 9am. I get my patients to be waiting at the lab before it opens at 7am so as to be first in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JMC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JMC »

Thanks Stavia & Julie for more feedback! I did have the lab work fasting at 7:45 am, before work. It wasn't the cortisol number that concerned my practitioner, it was my DHEA, 46.

Kudos, Julie, for going caffeine free- I can appreciate the difficulty, best part of my morning routine ;-) I'm so glad to hear you are having success with all the different strategies you are implementing! It makes it so much easier to stay the course when you see positive results. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm going to go back to using ketoflex after your's & Stavia's input. A little wary of finger pricking all the time for keto mojo, but guess I will need to get over that.

The E4 link & cholesterol seems to be very strong. I believe that's the Gundry crew. I've thought about trying his food plan as an experiment to see if has any impact on my numbers. (AD is in family, not really CAD)

Thank goodness for this community & forum! :)
Jenni 3/4