3/4 with Good Health

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

3/4 with Good Health

Post by Andru »

Hi all,

I made a similar post in the Getting Started forum, but figured an introduction would be more appropriate here. I take my health seriously and recently found out I have the APOE 3/4 combo, and I think it's important to know these things to prevent future ailments as much as possible.

It's confusing, however, since finding out I'm an E4 carrier, none of the associated conditions make sense. Here are my personal stats:

Sex: Male
Sex: Male
Weight: 165
Height: 6'
Body fat: 6-8%
LDL cholesterol (mg/dL): 51
HDL (mg/dL): 76
Triglycerides (mg/dL): 40

My diet consists of tons of saturated fat (red meat, butter, coconut oil, egg yolks, etc.). I do avoid processed grains and sugars, however. I also exercise often, almost every day.

Now here's where it's even more confusing; my entire family does not follow my healthy lifestyle but they are also in pristine health. My parents (in their 50s) consume copious amounts of beer and red meat, and both have low cholesterol and are extremely mentally sharp. Same with my grandparents (in their 70s). My great grandparents, before they died (at around 80-90), were mentally sharp and consumed soda and potato chips daily. We have a large family who live relatively unhealthy lifestyles, but no cases of Alzheimer's or high cholesterol. Also 23andMe proved that I do indeed share their DNA :lol: .

Has anyone else seen a situation such as this? I don't know which side (it could even be both) that the E4 is on, but it doesn't make sense either way.

Does anyone know of any other genes that combat the cholesterol/Alzheimer effects of E4?

Does anyone else have E4 and not struggle with cholesterol issues?

I thought this would provide some useful info, as much of the research and internet discussions I've seen seem to assert that APOE4 causes high cholesterol and Alzheimer's, but clearly there are other factors at play.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: 3/4 with Good Health

Post by Harrison »

Welcome Andru!

'I can comment on the Alzheimer's side of things. As we learn from all of the healthy E4/4s in this forum, APOE4 by itself does not "cause" AD. It should not be taken lightly, but there are things that can be done (which you are clearly doing!).

E3/4 is half the risk of E4/4. There are several other genes that may increase or reduce risk of AD. Some have larger effects than others, and none of this is conclusive. Just a word of caution in case someone knows they are the type of person respond negatively to this information. Here are some examples: SORL1 (rs1784931), Clusterin (rs11136000), CD33 (rs3865444), Picalm (rs3851179), GAB2 (rs7101429), CETP (rs5882). Check SNPedia to see the protective variants.

My own family history on the mental sharpness side is somewhat similar to yours (quite the opposite on the cholesterol side). There is only once case of dementia in somebody that had to have at least one E4 by virtue of genetics. Several grandparents and great-grandparents lived into their late 80s at a minimum or their late 90s. Only the person who developed dementia actually exercised. One or more of my family members has the genes listed above which could be a contributing factor. There is just so much we don't know.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

Thanks for the kind reply Harrison.
Harrison wrote: My own family history on the mental sharpness side is somewhat similar to yours (quite the opposite on the cholesterol side). There is only once case of dementia in somebody that had to have at least one E4 by virtue of genetics. Several grandparents and great-grandparents lived into their late 80s at a minimum or their late 90s. Only the person who developed dementia actually exercised. One or more of my family members has the genes listed above which could be a contributing factor. There is just so much we don't know.
That is interesting. I still think it's good to know these things, as it can help mitigate whatever risks do exist.

Do you have E4?
How do you mitigate risks with your diet?
Have you had success in lowering cholesterol?

I find it interesting that many of the APOE4 diet advice I find on the web seems to put all E4 carriers into one large group, stating that we should all avoid saturated fats. I definitely think there's more to the story than a single gene or protein.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

I am E3/4. My LDL is considered borderline-high (140 mg/dL), but I have HDL around 79 and triglycerides around 40, and a coronary calcium scan score of 0. The best LDL measurements I ever had was eating low-fat, high-carb, but I weighed 20 pounds more and was hungry all the time, with low HDL and high triglycerides. You will also find on the forums that most people look at advanced lipids with NMR. I have low small LDL-P, so that is an additional comfort.

I have been practicing low carb intermittent fasting for a few years now, and you will find a lot of variations of that on this forum. My general approach is more concerned with insulin resistance, which I think is probably a bigger threat than borderline-high LDL. There are a few cases of type II diabetes in my family, but not too much cardiovascular disease.

Having E3/4 is different than E4/4, and other genetic factors play a role, so I don't think there is a one-size fits all solution.

If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at the Primer we have available: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Andru, this is interesting on HDL and exercise and other genetic factors, I've got the Taq B1 CETP genotype associated with higher HDL, maybe you have something like that too. You could find out of you check on Promethease, under CETP or under cholesterol.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage ... 0617089560

"Genetic as well as lifestyle factors can influence the levels of HDL cholesterol

One of the associated genetic factors is Taq 1B polymorphism in intron 1 of cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) gene
plasma CETP and HDL cholesterol levels were reported in many studies to vary with Taq 1B genotype, the B1B1, B1B2, and B2B2 genotypes being associated with lowest to highest levels of HDL cholesterol and highest to lowest levels of CETP, respectively
a study (4) has demonstrated a physical activity-associated rise in HDL cholesterol in male subjects - asymptomatic or with CAD, especiallly in those with B1B1 genotype
the mechanism is not clear, but the net effect of (i) an exercise-associated overall rise in HDL cholesterol in males and (ii) lowest levels of HDL cholesterol in B1B1 relative to B1B2 or B2B2 sedentary males may explain the exercise-associated increase of HDL cholesterol occurring maximally in B1B1 males - however it is not clear whether this is a chance occurrence or a true interaction"