Newbie with child with Autism

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Newbie with child with Autism

Post by laurie »

MsCindy wrote: One very intriguing link that my research keeps leading me to is a lack of choline in the diets of pregnant mothers (primarily due to many people not eating eggs any more apparently) that causes a severe lack of choline in the developing fetus. Some mothers and babies seem to be more prone to the deficiency and also its negative effects. Supplementing different types of choline with children is not a cure - there is no cure for severe autism. But with many kids it makes them calmer, more verbal, and more engaged. But very interestingly, choline deficiency is strongly linked to Alzheimer's in much of the newest Alzheimer's research too!
Cindy thanks for this information. In the body choline acts to lower homocysteine levels and you are right it only provides symptom relief it doesn't address the cause. High levels of homocysteine are found in people with Autism and Alzheimer's (see table below). Homocysteine is toxic to your circulatory system. Aluminum is a neurotoxin that kills brain cells resulting in the Autistic brain. Aluminum inhibits the enzyme MS which converts homocysteine to methionine which is not toxic. (explanation below).

Research has reached a tipping point and Aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer's and Autism. The good news is silica water is effective at removing aluminum from our bodies. Silica water treats the cause of Autism and Alzheimer's. People with Alzheimer's and Autism are experiencing increases in cognition, language, behavior after drinking silica water.

My husband Dennis N Crouse is a chemist and for the past several years has been researching the connection between Aluminum Alzheimer's and Autism. Here is a write up he did which explains why choline provides symptom relief. "Aluminum in the body creates a characteristic biochemical fingerprint that can be measured by taking a blood sample. This fingerprint is made by aluminum inhibiting the activation of the enzyme MS (methionine synthase) that converts homocysteine to methionine. Based upon this biochemical fingerprint aluminum is suspected as a causal agent for autism as summarized in the following table." "In 2017 an analysis was performed on the brains of 5 individuals with confirmed ASD(Autism spectrum disorder), 4 males and 1 female. The mean and standard deviation (in parenthesis) of aluminum content across all five individuals for each lobe were 3.82(5.42), 2.30(2.00), 2.79(4.05) and 3.82(5.17) mcg per gram dry weight for the occipital, frontal, temporal and parietal lobes respectively. These are some of the highest aluminum levels in the brain yet recorded." Dr Chris Exley and his team at Keele University performed the autopsies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

There are many metals besides aluminum that inhibit homocysteine recycling via methionine synthase, including lead, copper, cadmium and mercury. And alcohol will inhibit it, too. If you look at the body's feedback loops, the inhibition kicks in because if you have high toxic metals or alcohol floating around, your body needs to flush homocysteine down the trans-sulfuration pathway to create glutathione to help with detox.

But, if homocysteine doesn't get recycled to methionine, then you start running low on methyl groups, necessary for many processes in the body, including creating phosphatidylcholine (from choline), which is a key element in cell walls, regulates the rate of cell death, helps make new cells and an important component of bile, which is critical for digesting food and preventing SIBO.

Obviously, we all need to clean up any toxic metal burden. But for some, including those with PEMT variants (rs7946, T is risk), they just won't convert dietary choline sources as effectively to phosphatidylcholine. PEMT (and another enzyme GAMT) use some 70% of the methyl groups that are available. So extra choline can help push PEMT a bit, or even better, supplementing phosphatidylcholine will help preserve methyl groups for other methylation functions, including those in the methylation cycle, creating neurotransmitters and creating creatine for brain and muscle fuel.

So supplementing choline, and also creatine, can help a body spare methyl groups for other functions, which can be helpful for those with PEMT and other methylation variants.
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MsCindy »

SusanJ wrote:So extra choline can help push PEMT a bit, or even better, supplementing phosphatidylcholine will help preserve methyl groups for other methylation functions, including those in the methylation cycle, creating neurotransmitters and creating creatine for brain and muscle fuel.
Yes! CDP-choline and Alpha-GPC also each have a slightly different effect on the brain and body too. Alpha-GPC improved my sleep from 4 hours per night to 5-6 hours per night. It's not magic, but it's still significant for me. I had never been able to sleep that long before, and I had taken phosphatidylcholine for several years.

Neurotransmitters do so many things all over our brains and bodies, and we're only beginning to really understand any of it. The AMA in 2017 voted to add choline to prenatal vitamins because so much research is recognizing the effects of choline deficiency on the brains of developing babies.
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MsCindy »

Interesting research on aluminum and autism, Laurie! Autism is so different in so many different ways that I think we're going to find that it has many different causes. The genetic component is undeniable, and yes, I see the links you're talking about. My sister and I have the MTHF defects for hyperhomocysteinemia, along with all the autism and Alzheimer's in our family. And yet, lowering homocysteine doesn't improve any health problems in actual studies. So is it a cause or just a concurrent symptom or side effect of something else? So many variables for all these complex diseases and disorders!
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

MsCindy wrote:Interesting research on aluminum and autism, Laurie! Autism is so different in so many different ways that I think we're going to find that it has many different causes. So many variables for all these complex diseases and disorders!
You are so right the brain and body are so complex. If you are interested in learning more about aluminum, Alzheimers' and Autism my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist has written a great deal about this subject. Here is a link to one of his write ups. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke ... chapter-1/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse