Results from 1st bloodwork

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Results from 1st bloodwork

Post by PBW »

I want to post my lab results. I didn't get everything tested as it was my primary care doctor who ordered the testing and had to justify it with her history of me. I started vitamin B's in Oct and most of the other vitamins and supplements by January except those related to stress and anxiety because I don't experience depression, anxiety, stress,or sleep issues(unless I am lazy and miss my normal 3-6 hours of physical activity. For simplicity I am listing them in the order of Table 2 summary of the tests for the ReCODE protocol Pg 167-169 of Dr Bredesen's book. I also included previous scores from as far back as 2011 to spring of 2016 for comparison. Some look good some not so much...its a journey.

3/2018 Previously: 2011-2016

CRP .3 2.1
Homocysteine 10.6 18
B6 83.5
B12 1042
Folate 23.3
Vit D 53 50

Omega6/omega3
A/G ratio 2 1.9
Albumin 4.5
Fasting insulin 2.1
Glucose 91 95
A1C 5.4
BMI 20
LDLp 1671
sdLDL 145
Chol/HDLC ratio 3.5
pattern A A
ApolipoproteinB 153
Cholesterol 358 257-340
HDL 102 90-110
Triglycerides 63 49-63

Glutathione
RBCthiamine
Vit D 53 50
Estradiol >15
Progesterone >.1
Pregnenolone 51
testosterone, free .5
testosterone 15
TSH 2.23
freeT4 2.1
T4 6.1
FreeT3
reverseT3

Calcium 9.6

I haven't done many of the toxin or metal related tests and suspect my Zinc may be off. I am not sure I should take a zinc supplement without first knowing Copper/Zinc ratio.
I am teetering on starting a statin again since my A1C is down from the last time I took 10mg statin daily for 9 months. Does anyone have any info on ApolipoproteinB?
I will be checking with my Gynecologist on hormones in June. The testing on thyroid was insufficient for evaluation.
I am adding TMC to see if I can lower the homocysteine down to <7. I was pleased it had come down from18 to 10.6.
Also I am using Brain HQ for 3 months...started at 81 and now 84%.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. This is a long road but I am happy to have all of you with whom I can share and discuss as I go.

Still Smiling , PBW
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Results from 1st bloodwork

Post by PBW »

Wow it didn't print like I typed. The first number is current testing and the 2nd number or numbers are previous test results
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

The software coding for documents for this forum isn't as intuitive as Google Docs or Word--but it is free!Don't worry; a little color and someone will be offering sound advice soon!!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

PBW, thanks for sharing, my friend! Do you have a copy of Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimer's? I ask, as he provides all of his goal biomarkers in the book. I'm happy to make a few comments, but want to encourage YOU to become your own health advocate as that will ultimately be so much more empowering.

Impressive reduction in CRP and homocysteine! I agree that a trial of TMG would be warranted at this point. Start low. My son had a pretty extreme reaction to it. Your fasting glucose and A1c are OK. It wouldn't hurt to lower them a bit. That said, your fasting insulin is stellar. Here's a link to a cholesterol calculator that will help you evaluate your risks and ratios. Your TG/HDL ratios is admirable. You could bump your vitamin D level up. Dr. B's goal is between 50-80. Keep up the great work! I hope others will get a chance to weigh in.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thanks for your input Julie. It was this website, The End of Alzheimers and The Plant Protocol that directed my health plan to Recode including Dr Gundry's imput into nutrition. Before that I had been usingDr Tim Noakes(2010) Dr Mercola,(2000's) Dr Kressor(2005), Dr Luftig(1990's), Dr Schartzbein(1980's),et al for the last 30 years to advise myself and my clients( I am retired fitness therapist). My journey began in college(1968) when I began gardening organically, working in a food coop and cooking in an organic restaurant. Nutrition, Exercise, brain function and parenting have always been my highest motivations. I was a teacher for 12 years with masters in education of the higher functioning emotionally, intellectually and/or creatively gifted children before becoming a parent and then fitness therapist.

I was aware of 4/4 genes before the link to AD was acknowledged. I began researching and practicing eliminating sugar, lowering carbs and only eating organic grass fed non CAFO meats and wild caught fish very gradually( I experienced eating disorders with exercise addiction in my 20's and like other addicts there always exists the possibility of returning) I was a vegetarian from college until i became pregnant the first time. Using Diet for a small Planet as a guide it became too time consuming to make certain I was getting enough protein in my diet while teaching school, getting my masters, supporting my husband who was in law school and being pregnant. Now I am beginning to slowly move back to it having gone through experimenting with Dr Tim Noakes ideas of fat and protein in hopes it would lower LDL. I didn't know at that point that my LDL was being driven by4/4. I did write Dr. Noakes and Dr mercola to apply their knowledge and address their protocols to those of us with familial cholesterolimia(sp?) ....not much response. So you can understand how excited I was to see Dr Gundry addressing it in his new book last summer.

Oh I forgot to mention I used DR Terry Wahls diet from 2000-2015 when I discovered a kidney stone(8mm by 12mm) and had to have a lithotripsy.The 8 cups of kale and spinach i was consuming in salads and smoothies daily per my Urologist was creating a perfect storm. Hmmmm....not sure. With that surgery it became clear that I am one of the very few who do not tolerate opiod or any of their derivatives and they do not work on me. No wonder I was so ill after epidural for c-section, codeine 3 after wisdom teeth. I am so lucky that I have had no other surgical procedures!!!!

I digress...since August I have been studying Recode and Plant Protocol and applying them to possible holes. Your opinions are right on the mark. I have found that sprints or other short but very intense physical exercise is the best at bringing my fasting glucose down. Now I am finding it also helps tremendously with staying at a 5 in ketosis. I am using the breath meter, have listened to explanations of breath blood and urine and surmised that I need to stay in ketosis for sometime(1year maybe longer) before recognizing the true benefits of 16 hour fasting(fasted for 12 hours the last 5 years and raised it to 16 in aug2017) and maintaining healthy insulin levels. I have had the glucose down to 83 before and I would like to see that number again, but was thrilled the A1C is down. It went into pre diabetes level when I took 10mg of statin for a year.

My immediate concern is about the Apolipoprotein B and LDLp numbers, as is my primary care DR, and would love for anyone to weigh in on this. These are my thoughts:

1)Eliminate some or all diary which I love and probably consume daily 1-2 T butter or ghee, 1-2oz goat cheese, Brie or other A2 cassein cheese and sheep's whole yoghurt 2cups per week with berries

2)Eliminate all red meat protein, currently have 2-3 servings(3oz) per week all grass fed non CAFO( sounds like best plan after reading ,"Saturated Fats Versus Polyunsaturated Fats Versus Carbohydrates for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Treatment"

3)Try a low dose of statin's again like Stavia has mentioned, maybe intermittently

4)Has anyone used Dr Schultz's Cayenne Formula? Someone just mentioned it to me.

Start one, several or all is what I am questioning. I have already added TMG. I am vacationing on the beach for 2 months so with runtime and 4000 Vit D that should come up....in the past I eliminated it D while In Florida...this year I am continuing to supplement.

Thanks everyone you are the best!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What an impressive and thoughtful health journey you’ve had, PBW!
My immediate concern is about the Apolipoprotein B and LDLp numbers, as is my primary care DR, and would love for anyone to weigh in on this.
From the Hugh's calculator link above:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.44 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.430 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.618 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
That said, your ApoB and LDL-P are elevated and a sdLDL of 145 is also concerning. I think your plan to reduce SFA (and replace with MUFAs and PUFAs?) makes sense for now. Also, are you tracking fiber intake? Increasing dietary fiber is an easy way to lower cholesterol. Have you checked for any underlying infections, like h.Pylori. That can also contribute to elevated cholesterol. I'd be hesitant to throw in a statin again given your previous BG elevation. Have you checked your CAC score? It might help you guide dietary decisions moving forward.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi PBW,
I am not qualified to offer an opinion on any of your labs, except being in awe of your decades-long commitment to healthy eating and teaching kids and adults!
My one caveat when reading your fascinating journey is this:

Having a close friend with a long-term eating disorder (I know you said yours was back in your 20's) who was also a highly skilled gymnast and popular coach, I heard frequently from her that the words "Eliminate all" ring alarms bells in the eating disorder community. She explained that it's SOOO tempting to eliminate entire categories of food, even of water for days, weeks, or forever. Perfection and control are good things to her. Breaking a "rule" around food even slightly is deeply felt as a personal fault.

So before you eliminate all grass-fed meat (which is not dropping 10 Big Macs a week, but 2-3 serving of 3 oz of what sounds like well-sourced beef) and all dairy, consider whether you can switch from "eliminate all" to "see what happens if I substitute X for .25% of Y".

Enjoy the freedom of retirement to continue to feed your wide-ranging passions!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Unbelievable Julie and NF52- your words are just what I needed to hear. I go over these thoughts in my head so many times without having anyone who through experience or knowledge gets the complexity in order to make an educated decision. One of my big goals is not to obsess. NF52 you get it completely....just like any recovered addiction, absolutes are suicide ....by that I mean... goes great for while and then there is sabotage in the form of going back to a higher lever of consumption or back to the obsessive/compulsive behaviors. I have learned over the decades and it continues( similar to AA going thru the steps) to go slow and allow time for body, mind, consciousness to settle into new pattern. I am settled on 3-5 oz of grass fed meat, or pasture poultry 3 times per week( last time I had a big mac or similar was in the early 60's when Mcdonald's opened..teehee) the thought of eliminating all dairy really is hard. So I reviewed Dr Gundry's plan for Keto Intensive diet and I will stick with that being mindful of Julie's advice and slowly lowering amounts of saturated fat, especially meat,chicken and diary.

Julie, thanks so much. I hadn't thought about something like h.Pylori. I was waiting for inflammation bloodwork markers to see if I needed to be concerned with underlying infections. The direction of those markers is good, I will keep h Pylori in mind as I move forward. Fiber is no problem. I get plenty and always have because my system has called for it. My husband has celiacs so his system is the opposite and I never could relate. I have lived on salads(my organic garden) so much that it may have contributed to the kidney stone(oxalic acid in spinach, kale, green tea and all other leafy greens). Seems like increasing daily water intake to 3-4 liters daily is allowing my continued enjoyment of salads. You are the first person who has discussed with me the happy lipid ratios together with the extremely unhappy ApoB and LDL p as well as sdLDL also being a concern with my past reaction to statins.

Of course my regular doc is flipping out but trying not to interfere with Recode...just ready with pen in hand to write the script for Crestor. So HUGE Thanks to you both for your opinions. They are greatly appreciated! This is one of the many reasons that this site is so valuable!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PBW wrote:the extremely unhappy ApoB and LDL p as well as sdLDL also being a concern with my past reaction to statins.
Hey PBW,
I don't think the LDLp news is as bad as you might think. Here's a good explanation of why "A" pattern is a GREAT pattern to have, with emphasis added:
The LDL patterns A and B refer to the size of LDL cholesterol particles in the blood. Some doctors believe that small LDL cholesterol particles in the blood may pose a greater risk for developing atherosclerosis and heart attacks than the absolute level of LDL cholesterol in the blood. The size of LDL cholesterol particles is primarily inherited.
Persons with LDL cholesterol pattern A have large, buoyant LDL cholesterol particles. Individuals with pattern A are more likely to have normal blood levels of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides. Pattern A is usually not associated with an increased likelihood of atherosclerosis.
http://www.health.am/topics/more/what_a ... z5BnqLIX8R

And, as anecdotal evidence, I had even higher levels of LDL-P than you two years ago, yet 6 months ago my coronary calcium scan showed zero plaque and a "coronary age" of 39--happy news at 65!

So on the cardiac front, all those salads, your low BMI and hours of exercise every day sound like an IDEAL plan to stay healthy to about 100!
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thanks that is very encouraging. I am educated on the patterns as I have had Berkely and Birmingham VAP tests done in the last decade. What is encouraging is to find someone whose LDLp is as high as mine!!!! I am always wondering if there is a tipping point. I also had an Ultrasound of carotid artery and didn't quite get the good news you did. Very happy for you. My doctor was expecting it to be much lower than my actual age because of my nutrition and exercise...it came out exactly the same as my age. It has been 5 years or so and you have alerted me to use it again as another marker. Thanks so much for your input.