Just starting out, sending thanks!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jordan
Contributor
Contributor

Just starting out, sending thanks!

Post by Jordan »

Hello All -

What a wonderful, welcoming community this is! Just reading your stories and responses feels great!

I'm a novice, for sure. I did 23andme just recently to find out my ApoE status, because of my family history - My mother died at 88 with Alzheimer’s. My father also had late-onset dementia, never officially diagnosed, as did his father. And now, as of 18 months ago, my mother’s 90-year-old sister (I’m very close to her) is in a memory unit with AD. So it was a blow but I wasn't shocked to find that I’m e4/e4. I stared at the result online with a sense of - Ok, now I know what I’m dealing with – which felt better than not knowing.

I’m 69, in pretty good shape, and very much wanting to stay that way! I knew of Dr. Bredesen, so I ordered his book and contacted his office to see if I could find someone near me who’s trained in his work. On the website of the Institute for Functional Medicine, I was incredibly lucky to find a wonderful family practice doc not far from me, who has studied Bredesen’s approach. He fit me into his schedule and I’ve just now finished my first round of lab tests. I'll meet with him again in a couple of weeks to go over results and figure out what’s next. And I’m shifting diet, backing off my bread-baking and liking the avocados!

I have to say, it’s been a godsend to find your online community, with all this lovely support and wisdom. I’ve read Stavia’s great primer and will be going back to it, time and again.

So far, there are definitely times when I feel down, but mostly I’m hopeful. Back in my childbearing days, I realized that conventional medicine has its limits, so it’s good for us to learn whatever we can, know and trust ourselves, and find a creative, supportive network. So from my heart, thanks to all of you for starting and nurturing this amazing community. I’m incredibly grateful.
Karengo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just starting out, sending thanks!

Post by Karengo »

Hello Anna97: Thank you for joining our community - and for your heartfelt words of deep appreciation and gratitude as you're just starting out on this journey as you say. It seems like you've landed in the right place! I'm sorry to hear of the losses you've had to suffer in your family as a result of AD and dementia. I can really appreciate your positive energy and enthusiasm. It really shines right through your words! I'm also wanting to acknowledge you for your courage in choosing to be empowered by your discovery of e4/e4 and know what you're dealing with now.

I'm pleased - and not surprised - to hear that you're in "pretty good shape and very much wanting to stay that way!" It sounds like you've taken charge after hearing the news and taking positive action to focus on what you can change. I'm glad you've already discovered Stavia's Primer and found yourself a Functional Medicine doctor who's studied Bredesen's approach - that's great! Following your results and next visit, please feel free to share with us what you discover. As you point out this community is a wonderful support network with a wide range of experience, knowledge and expertise that is generously shared. Meanwhile, you are welcome to bring questions and share your experiences anytime!

If you want to search on any topics you can use Wiki or go up to the right hand corner of the page to see 3 vertical dots. You can use the magnifying glass icon for searches, too.

You can read more about others and their stories here OurStories Oh wait! We're already in this section. Lol!

We're glad you found us! Thank you for bringing your heart and soul to share with us.

Wishing you all the best on your to better health,
~Karengo
ApoE4 Support Team
FMCA certified Health Coach
"For whatever we lose like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea"
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Greetings Anna97 from Anna (without a number) :)

I know what it's like to stare at that 4/4 result while being painfully aware of what this might mean due to what one has witnessed in family members. Your attitude is amazing. (Let's just say I was NOT relieved to know.) And good for you for already finding a Bredesen-trained doctor, diving into the literature, and easing into dietary changes. Keep up the fantastic work!

I LOVE this statement:
Anna97 wrote:I realized that conventional medicine has its limits, so it’s good for us to learn whatever we can, know and trust ourselves, and find a creative, supportive network.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Karengo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karengo »

Yes! I love that statement to. What a wonderful declaration!
~Karengo
ApoE4 Support Team
FMCA certified Health Coach
"For whatever we lose like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea"
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Greetings Anna97!

I am 3/4 and 50 years old (and in your "neck of the woods" in the Northeast). I am very interested in hearing more about your experience with your local doc - please keep us posted on your progress! You may be aware that Dr. Mark Hyman (and team) - who is at the forefront of FM - is also in your backyard (in Pittsfield, MA). I'm thinking there are several FM/Bredesen trained docs who are not necessarily showing up on MPI Cognition - but that doesn't mean they did not go through the course. Since I am currently studying to become a Health Coach through the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy (which works in partnership with IFM), I've been able to "ask around" for guidance on this - so if there are any questions, please let me know.

It looks like we are close in the timing of our journey. . .I am also going through rounds of testing (including a MRI w/NeuroQuant and PET Scan) over the next few weeks. I also had the realization that conventional medicine had its limitations and sought care elsewhere several years ago. I am thankful for where I am and how far I've come in taking care of myself and doing what's right for me.

I am curious - do you have siblings? Children? I am struggling with the idea of sharing this news with my family - if you're interested (or concerned!) about this, Anna started another post about this very subject.

Welcome aboard - you are in great company!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Rainy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rainy »

Hello, Anna97! Welcome to this warm community! I'm also a newly aware E4/E4, and I truly appreciate the generous and upbeat wisdom here! To the comments above I would add my own 2 cents worth, as my Dad would say. Use the search function within the 3 stacked dots next to your name after you log in to find your most compelling topics. Take advantage of the amazing health coaching offer. Explore and join studies. Take a break from it all when your head is spinning. Come back and reacquaint yourself, reading new and old posts of particular interest. Share your journey! We're truly glad you're here!
Rainy
E4/E4
"Live your life, live your life, live your life!" Maurice Sendak
Jordan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jordan »

Thank you, everyone, for this warm welcome! It’s so good to have all this wise, kind company on the path.

Anna (without a number)! - I hope I haven’t done anything confusing with my username. It’s in honor of my great grandmother, whose name was Anna. She kept all her marbles, doing beautiful crochet work right up to the very end of her life at age 97. So of course I hope to follow in her footsteps – minus the crocheting. ☺

CoachDD, I’m sure you’re right that not all physicians who have done the Bredesen/IFM training are on the MPI Cognition site. I found my doc (who has done the training) using a geographic search on the IFM practitioners page, and then skimming profiles for “Bredesen” or “Alzheimer’s.” Found him! He’s great.

Yes, I have two children and an older sister who also has two. All our kids are in their 30s and 40s, so clearly not too young to be aware. I’ve let them all know. One reason is just that they’re my family, and if I’m dealing with something this major, they should know. And of course, they’re all in my same genetic line, and they know their grandparents had Alzheimer’s. So now, if knowing my status makes them want to test theirs, they should have that choice. I’m also letting them know about the Bredesen protocol, so they understand there’s a lot of hope. I told my sister that if I can be a guinea pig for the family, I’m on!