Just accepted into an AD Study

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Just accepted into an AD Study

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for the updates!
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Wish I had made some progress, but nothing is happening. Still waiting for contact.
3/3
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Despite reassurance from my referral source, I've not been contacted by the local Cleveland Clinic outreach person. Wish I could say my enthusiasm is not losing steam. Participating in Facebook groups for both Bredesen and Wahls protocols and am more convinced than ever of the efficacy of Keto eating for ongoing good health. Curative powers? Who knows. Only two years ago, everybody said T2D was a life sentence. Dr. Jason Fung's Protocol changed my dietary life when I combined IF with my LCHF way of eating. (Diagnosed pre-diabetic since age 20, I now have normal BG 5.0) Never say Never. Our alternative-medicine-embracing Doctor Warriors never stop.
3/3
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Sorry to hear of the delays. Having a sister who has worked in both college and hospital settings, she described decision-making timelines as often glacial. Lots of stakeholders. Often outreach people have lots of demands on their time. Maybe a quick, friendly email with some bullet points of ways she could be helpful:
Ex: handouts on clinical trial info; caregiver support groups; prevention efforts at Cleveland Clinic; coordination with lifestyle interventions. Along with reassurance that you aren’t asking her to lead the effort; only help it be informative and effective.
Keep plugging away!
4/4 and still an optimist!
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Guess I'm going to have to be more pro-active. I don't have direct contact information, but should be able to find it on local CC website. I'm more convinced than ever that inflammation is more important than doctors want us to know. Keto is anti inflammatory. On the LC forum I belong to, we have cancer survivors who credit our way of eating with their ongoing remissions.
3/3
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Another disease to add to my list to study: ALS.
I'm a 49er football fan and was watching a video about Dwight Clark's death this year from ALS. A doctor being interviewed said that NFL football players are 4x more likely to develop ALS, and that it needs to be grouped in studies with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dw ... 827cc2f6e5
3/3
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

My guess you are one most likely Not to get AD. Good genes and lifestyle!
APOE 3/4
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Sigh. Having NO luck with community outreach. As with so many other things in life these days, education and prevention take a back seat to actual treatment. I noticed there are two new drugs coming out. Hope they're effective.

I wonder why there are always people in groups who claim to have all the answers. I decided to drop out of the FB group because I don't want to argue about what seems to me to be obvious dietary choices (as per the Bredesen Protocol.)

Tomorrow I'll attend the Dancing with Parkinson's class and make a stab at some sort of group consolidation. Otherwise, I'll just leave everybody to their own devices and continue my personal studies.
3/3
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

When I was part of the EARLY Study, I had a great contact person. Over the weekend I sent her an email requesting assistance in getting through to the Outreach person at the local Cleveland Clinic. She answered back this morning and I have high hopes that this will indeed take place.

More proof that the Ketogenic types of diets aid in all the neurological diseases. I'm putting in the link, even though the medical terminology makes it difficult for us lay people to understand.

The article is called "Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases"
http://www.jlr.org/content/55/11/2211.full
3/3
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

So this thread is not incomplete, I'd like to report the outcome of my attempts to start an AD group at the church.

I never heard back from any of the people at the Cleveland Clinic Outreach. Apparently, Outreach is confined to the patients and caregivers taking advantage of what is offered in house through the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.

I suggested to the pastor that he include a section on AD in the bulletin and a link to the proper page on their website where they can get dates and times to participate.

I hate failure and I definitely failed in my original goal, but I learned a lot. Maybe most important is the fact that people are really too afraid of the neurological diseases which afflict the elderly to confront them or the possibility we will acquire them ourselves or have to be caregivers for a loved one. Most people would rather not know in advance. Period.
3/3