Just accepted into an AD Study

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Just accepted into an AD Study

Post by floramaria »

reluctantexan wrote:
The article is called "Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases"
http://www.jlr.org/content/55/11/2211.full
Interesting article. Thank you. I’ve downloaded it to iBooks for future reference.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

reluctantexan wrote:I hate failure and I definitely failed in my original goal, but I learned a lot.

You haven't failed, my friend. You have reached out to your parish and to the Cleveland Clinic, and you have realized that "success" is messy, and often occurs in steps that may happen outside of our experience. Or, as Albert Einstein said: "Failure is success in progress."

So consider your efforts a work in progress to change how people view dementia and the role of caregiving. You may not have started a regular group meeting, but you have created ripples that may spread out in ways yet to be seen.
4/4 and still an optimist!
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

What kind words, and very welcome. I was feeling so alone in my efforts and frankly unappreciated. I'm a crybaby. Or maybe my runny eyes are just allergies.
3/3
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Just accepted into an AD Study

Post by Brainz »

reluctantexan wrote: More proof that the Ketogenic types of diets aid in all the neurological diseases. I'm putting in the link, even though the medical terminology makes it difficult for us lay people to understand.

The article is called "Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases"
http://www.jlr.org/content/55/11/2211.full
Thanks for posting this link. That meta study on ketogenic is an absolute gold mine - - the meta findings are rich and summarily quite positive. It also has some interesting findings which support the notion that a Modified Atkins Diet (which was higher protein) delivered similar results as keto, though perhaps not as strongly beneficial as a diet higher in fat. I perused some of cited research as well. Good stuff. There weren't [m]any findings detracting from a ketogenic diet except for [potentially negative] changes in lipid panels - - but the recent work of Dave Feldman leads me to believe that traditional medicine is interpreting the significance of lipid panels with respect to CVD all wrong, and particularly so for those on a ketogenic diet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Brainz, I had a visit with my PCP this week. She said, " Your cholesterol is elevated, and this is where I'm required to tell you that you should go on Statins." Me: "Just so you know, I'll NEVER take Statins. Because I'm always in Ketosis, my Lipid Panels are always skewed. My triglycerides are low and my ratio is good." What I didn't say (and she didn't refer to) is that this was a potential deal breaker. I would've switched doctors if she had insisted on the prescription. Western Medicine is stuck in the Cholesterol Construct. They built it.

I'm currently researching How to stay keto adapted while eating carbs.
3/3
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brainz »

Good for you!

Best case, IMO, statins do nothing. But more likely, statins are metabolic poison. I believe they likely contributed to my father's early onset AD.

Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Just accepted into an AD Study

Post by Brainz »

reluctantexan wrote: I'm currently researching How to stay keto adapted while eating carbs.
That's another great article, with a different focus (athletic performance) than I've seen in other Keto research.

The conclusions/recommendations fit with my own personal experiences with running 3 miles (as fast as can be maintained) every other day: You can have endurance if keto adapted, but some additional modest carbs will further improve performance (and it's really no surprise, I suppose - - but it's nice when theory and experience align).

Despite the weather being hotter in the late afternoons (between 5 an 7pm here in Houston), I run better/faster than in the cooler mornings. I attribute this to my 16/8 IF eating - - I only do lunch and dinner. I suspect there's more glucose available in my system in the afternoon/evenings (due to lunch and often a Kind bar snack mid-afternoon). If I run before my first meal, my performance suffers. Eat a Kind bar in the morning and the exercise is better.

My BMI is now pretty low (21), yet my weight continues to have downward pressure on the low-carb diet (I'm probably only 25-50g net carbs/day), this despite adding more high cal fats in an attempt to offset. After being told to live low fat most of my life, it feels admittedly weird/wrong to be forcing myself to eat more fat if even just to maintain a relatively thin weight.

I never did this diet for weight loss, so I've potentially considered adding low glycemic carbs back to see if that stabilizes/increases slightly my weight. I suspect performance would increase a bit too as per the above.

All of my exercise is currently cardio. I really need to put some weight training back in the mix. While I've not lost any strength (or apparent muscle mass), I've not tested the ability to add strength or mass either. That would be interesting...

Lots to do and test.

reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

Brainz, what does Dr. Bredesen recommend for people at ideal weight?
3/3
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brainz »

I had to go back and look at the book. There's nothing really mentioned in the book on athletic performance or ideal weight - - just a recommended (keto) diet to prevent AD.

reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by reluctantexan »

I haven't forgotten you. Still doing well on my Plan. Keto is evolving rapidly in the the Internet mind. Now, questionnaires include the term Therapeutic Keto, now being recommended to treat all the neurological disorders in the elderly.

This brings up the question of Exogenous Ketones: https://ketosource.co.uk/exogenous-keto ... they-work/
Well worth the read, and I'd like to discuss your opinions.
Neuroprotection: As humans age, the brain becomes more susceptible to neurodegeneration and subsequent conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Exogenous ketone supplementation appears to ameliorate the typical decline in cognitive function that comes with aging. The likely mechanism for this neuroprotective property is that ketone bodies reduce the inflammation and hyperexcitability that is normally exhibited as glucose metabolism declines in the brain.18, 19
I have MCT oil, but find that it distresses my digestive system so I also have powdered MCT oil on hand. Much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I fail to keep my appetite in check and eat something which puts me out of ketosis. :oops: Pretty sure that I'm not alone in this. The exogenous ketones offered by the powdered MCT oil help me get back into ketosis faster.
3/3