Good News, Glucose and otherwise

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Good News, Glucose and otherwise

Post by drae »

Hi, friends (even those of you I have never read or exchanged posts with). I am learning this is the one place where I have a shot at being understood. Thank you all!

Long time no see. My fault. I really have been keeping myself busy, from doing the food, exercise, etc. to enjoying the spring time, doing things with my son and even reading a few novels.

But it is time to 'fess up. I have new labs! And, a new doctor. Wow.

The main report is an A1c after only 2.5 months of knowing my first was 9.5, about 2 months after getting a glucometer, 3.5 months since working on 3 colors of veggies every meal. My, we have come a long way.

So the A1c is... drumroll.. 6.5.

Yes, wow. And, as my son said, great but don't use it as an excuse to change your eating. Would I do that??? :shock:

As for the doctor. I like her, but, we'll see. I have had some especially good and some other kinds of doctors in my life. Right now she is flying blind on Bredesen and all things Alzheimer's reversal.

I will post more progress and some of the new questions that are coming eventually. One I will throw out now is, my real goal is to reverse the insulin resistance, not just the diabetes. Now, what will that look like? I am interested in numbers to aim for but also how will it affect the lifestyle choices? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, experiences!

As for busy, I am hiking a lot and enjoying it more. I have a great big goal, to hike all the trails in all the North Carolina (beautiful state) State Parks. I have a start, and next week I am ordering a new hammock so I can camp in the parks and hike. Did I mention I am enjoying the Spring? Really, I am doing a lot and enjoying most of it more than most things in years. Also planning a month with Mom in South Florida in June.

Thanks again for all your help. I've been missing you!

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Good News, Glucose and otherwise

Post by slacker »

drae wrote:
The main report is an A1c after only 2.5 months of knowing my first was 9.5, about 2 months after getting a glucometer, 3.5 months since working on 3 colors of veggies every meal. My, we have come a long way.

So the A1c is... drumroll.. 6.5....

I will post more progress and some of the new questions that are coming eventually. One I will throw out now is, my real goal is to reverse the insulin resistance, not just the diabetes. Now, what will that look like? I am interested in numbers to aim for but also how will it affect the lifestyle choices? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, experiences!
Congratulations drae! This is a big deal. And it's quite possible that your A1C will continue to improve doing exactly what you doing, ultimately reversing IR as well. You can see Dr Bredesen's target values for IR labs in his book. There are those on our site who target lower. One step at a time. And very good to hear from you again!
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Congratulations Drae!
You really are an inspiration--and maybe even on the hammock and hiking the N.C. state parks! I was just saying to my husband earlier today how beautiful the state park near Asheville is in the spring. Have to get back there sometime and enjoy fresh mountain air. Enjoying life more is a wonderful result that is its own "biomarker" of success! And enjoy the month with your mom, who will love to fuss and be fussed over.
4/4 and still an optimist!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Drae, you must be over the moon on the A1c improvement! Way to go!!!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

drae wrote: The main report is an A1c after only 2.5 months of knowing my first was 9.5, about 2 months after getting a glucometer, 3.5 months since working on 3 colors of veggies every meal. My, we have come a long way.

So the A1c is... drumroll.. 6.5.

Really, I am doing a lot and enjoying most of it more than most things in years. Drae
Hi Drae,
I am just back here on the site myself after being away and was so delighted to read about all of your successes. Great job! It is really impressive to see the changes you have made in a short time, and the positive measurable results of those changes. Congratulations. The change in your A1c is excellent, yet the thing you wrote that brought the biggest smile to my face is the last one I copied above....”doing a lot and enjoying most of it more than most things in years”. Hats off to you, Drae. That is wonderful.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

slacker wrote:
Congratulations drae! This is a big deal. And it's quite possible that your A1C will continue to improve doing exactly what you doing, ultimately reversing IR as well. You can see Dr Bredesen's target values for IR labs in his book. There are those on our site who target lower. One step at a time. And very good to hear from you again!
Ah, Slacker! I do not know if you realize how helpful and encouraging you are. One step at a time, for sure. Poco a poco. I find myself focussing mostly now on food, hiking and taking the local Senior Center up on opportunities. As I told my almost 6-year housemate yesterday, before all this, she didn't even know that I could be social! :lol:

Thanks so much for your continued watching and good advice.

Drae
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

NF52 wrote:Enjoying life more is a wonderful result that is its own "biomarker" of success!
NF52, You made my day with this. I have been paying attention when Stavia encourages us to go for activities we enjoy. And now I am passionate about letting people know AD is preventable and reversible. And, help is available.

Yes, I think this is a beautiful state and the wonderful spring weather is inspiring me. Today I did a moderate trail and found I am hiking faster and more easily than I can remember. Whoa. Wait until I get a couple hundred miles in. =)

Thanks,
Drae
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

SusanJ wrote:Drae, you must be over the moon on the A1c improvement! Way to go!!!
Susan, Absolutamente! Is anything more encouraging than real progress? =)

Drae