Age 36 and terrified of being 4x4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
aurora
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Age 36 and terrified of being 4x4

Postby aurora » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 am

Hey Priya,

I was meaning to comment on your thread earlier, but I've also been in a dark mood since finding out about my APOE4 status. And I too wondered if I would have been better off not knowing. I decided this morning that despite the bad news, I'm glad I do. It's like getting an operator's manual for your body. Thank you, science!

Some of the research I found says that the APOE4 gene is the oldest of the APOE types and has been with us since the beginning of humanity. (Actually, its even older than that, dating back to nonhuman primates like chimps, bonobos, and red velvet monkeys.) In fact, instead of associating APOE4 with AD, we should be calling it the "hunter-gatherer" gene. APOE4 is also called the "ancestral gene" and the "hoarder gene," because it tends to hoard saturated fat, probably because the gene became too good at scavaging for food and exisiting within the cycles of feast or famine, not our modern world of abundance. Makes sense then that this ancient gene that thrived on insects, lizards, small animals and maybe a few tubers and other plants gets overwhelmed with a steady stream of processed foods, alcohol, tobacco, high fat, high sugar, chemicals, and to add insult to injury, a sendentary lifestyle where most of us work indoors and don't get the excercise or direct sunlight our bodies crave. Then we go home and instead of obeying our circadium rhythm and settling down for a restful night's sleep, we blast artificial light into our retinas and stare at our iphones and laptops.

Someone on this forum mentioned that our genes are like a computer and the environment is the software. I loved that analogy. It made me think of someone trying to run new software on an old operating system. It's going to be problematic. I think our bodies must be the same way. We try to put the wrong instrucitons into our genes and we are bound to get negative results. Anyway, I'm not an expert; it's just my take, based on what I've read in a variety of places and how I've talked myself into looking at the brighter side of all of this. I do believe we have a huge advantage knowing our risks and learning how to manage them. And you are so lucky to have learned about this at a young age, where you have many years to navigate your lifestyle condusive to your hunter-gatherer genes. Hang in there. I'll try to do the same.

- aurora

Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Priya » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 am

Thank you Aurora, I’m so sorry you have had to experience this fear too. It’s so tough and pressing. You post has reinforced how much thinking and learning I need to do in order to work out how I live with this gene now to make sure I’m not storing up longer term problems for myself. Staying away from saturated fat is high on the list! I realise how uneducated I am about food and diet etc.
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm

HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HeatherLst » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 am

Priya, first: hugs. I totally understand, as I had the exact same reaction last year. It took me about a week to fully process what those APOE warnings meant, but once I did I went into a panic. Had a bit of a freak-out. Thanks to Dr Bredesen’s book and the support of this group that quickly turned into a HELL NO. No, no, NO.

Ten months later I feel like God has handed me a gift, one that is changing my life and the lives of my kids. We have the tools we need to fight not just Alzheimer’s but many other contributing health issues—including my underactive thyroid. I’m losing weight (I’m ten pounds below my ‘that’s a pretty tough goal weight for me, I’m not sure I can hit that’—and still losing), I have more energy, my adhd is getting better, and I feel like my life’s goals have become crystal clear. I intend to enjoy life, and I refuse to leave my kids with a legacy of unhealthy lifestyle or having to care for their mom in her old age. So I’m fighting every step of the way, using science and knowledge to win this battle.

I haven’t read all the responses yet, but this group is a wealth of information. Information overload, at times. Take it slow, read, read and then Re-read. Ask questions. They’re fantastic at helping us all get what they’ve learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
A newbie--I'm learning! :)

Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Starfish77 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

Hi Priya, you asked when I found out I was an e4/e4. It was almost five years ago. I did 23andme and was totally surprised to find out I was an e4/e4. I am very thankful I found out because it gave me a chance plus the motivation to get in the best possible health for me.

Just being over 80 is rather scary too. I look around and suddenly many of the people I know personally in my age group are not in good health or not living. There as so many fun things to do and interesting people to be around, I hope I'm here, in as good health as possible, to take advantage of it.
Starfish

Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Anna » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am

Priya wrote:Thank you, I’m sorry you share my experience but glad to know I am not alone. It really helps. I also have hashimotos. My antibodies are good but TSH s little high so taking Levo. Ref Promethease I think you are right, I’m not ready and when I am I don’t think I can do it alone. I have applied for coaching from this site and will try and find a functional Dr who can help me in the UK. Whatever happens, I could not have got through the last 48 hours without this forum. It’s been a place of kindness and safety. I hope I pay it forward one day

I'm glad it helped, and you are definitely not alone! Paying it forward is exactly what I'm doing; I was a wreck when my results sunk in, and comments made by some kind members made all the difference in the world. Just remember, none of this is an emergency. You have time, and in my opinion, the most important immediate steps are those that help you cope. For me, that was taking long walks in nature, meeting friends for coffee, watching funny animal videos, and learning that there are MANY steps we can take to keep this gene in it's place. I tried to take on too many changes too soon, which just added to my stress. Make sure you dive into all this at a pace that works best for you. One thing that helped a ton was later learning the statistics that NF52 has so kindly been pointing out to "newbies," which are far less terrifying than some older, smaller studies suggested.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more

Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Priya » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm

HeatherLst wrote: I’m losing weight (I’m ten pounds below my ‘that’s a pretty tough goal weight for me, I’m not sure I can hit that’—and still losing), I have more energy, my adhd is getting better, and I feel like my life’s goals have become crystal clear. I intend to enjoy life, and I refuse to leave my kids with a legacy of unhealthy lifestyle or having to care for their mom in her old age. So I’m fighting every step of the way, using science and knowledge to win this battle.

Wow congrats in the weight loss! You sound so strong, I really hope this is the same turn in point for me but at the moment I still feel scared. I guess scared is a bit less than terrified though (which is how I felt 5 days ago) so maybe it’s a good sign. I just don’t know how to get the weight off, I need to lose 2 stone to be eligible for IVF so it’s a real focus for me. I am trying to avoid having too much carbs and sugar but I get stuck on what I can actually eat as all the advice seems to conflict. Any key tips that helped you?

HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HeatherLst » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Priya wrote:
HeatherLst wrote: I’m losing weight (I’m ten pounds below my ‘that’s a pretty tough goal weight for me, I’m not sure I can hit that’—and still losing), I have more energy, my adhd is getting better, and I feel like my life’s goals have become crystal clear. I intend to enjoy life, and I refuse to leave my kids with a legacy of unhealthy lifestyle or having to care for their mom in her old age. So I’m fighting every step of the way, using science and knowledge to win this battle.

Wow congrats in the weight loss! You sound so strong, I really hope this is the same turn in point for me but at the moment I still feel scared. I guess scared is a bit less than terrified though (which is how I felt 5 days ago) so maybe it’s a good sign. I just don’t know how to get the weight off, I need to lose 2 stone to be eligible for IVF so it’s a real focus for me. I am trying to avoid having too much carbs and sugar but I get stuck on what I can actually eat as all the advice seems to conflict. Any key tips that helped you?

We’ve done so many things, each one got us further down the path. Dr Mark Hyman’s books—both the 10 Day blood sugar detox and his Eat Fat Get Thin—are fantastic. They really lay out the science well for the average person, and give you clear-cut lists of what to eat. Jason Vale’s juicing/smoothies helped us up our greens and stabilize our cravings when we first started. Nowadays I stick to a true Mediterranean diet (not the Americanized AHA-style one most books publicize) and stay slow-carb to low-carb. I personally don’t process coconut oil as well as others, and bulletproof style diets and drinks make me gain weight. So olive oil is my main staple.

APOE4/4

HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HeatherLst » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Oh, and I do Intermittent Fasting, only instead of 16-18 hrs daily, I do two 24 hr fasts a week, from lunch to lunch. On Mondays and Thursdays I eat breakfast and then lunch, then don’t eat until lunch the next day. I get the extended autophagy of a longer fast but more freedom during the week.

APOE4/4

Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Priya » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:16 am

Hey @HeatherLst that all sounds great. I’m currently working with a nutritionist to understand how to improve diet. I have made a start but appreciate I have a long way to go. I also make sure there are at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast.

One of my blockers is that I don’t really notice many symptoms in myself. Other than some brain fog Which I have had since a period of work stress 3 years ago mainly I don’t notice if a food disagrees with me. I don’t think I’m tapped into my body enough. I have allergies so sometimes I wake up very sneezy but that’s about it. I’m really worried I’m missing something major. I sleep well, drink a lot of water so don’t often get headaches.
Last edited by Priya on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Priya » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:11 am

A week on......
So I thought I would turn this into a bit of a diary to track my journey as a reference point for others in case it is helpful. So a week on from sheer terror and finding this forum where am I? Well I’m not in terror mode, I would describe it more as dread mode. This forum has been a lifeline.

Steps I have taken....
I booked in to see one of the functional medicine coaches from this forum and had my first intro session. Am signing up for 10 sessions which start next Friday, I’m working with a lady called Jennie who seems lovely

I have done a weights session with my PT and am just about to head out for an hours walk. I am starting to understand that exercise is for my brain as much as my body

I have eat more and different types of veggies than I usually would and cut down carbs and avoided sugar much more than I usually would.

I have been super liberal with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I have weighed myself every morning, I have over 3 stone to lose so this is very Important to keep my mind focused. Currently I weigh 100kg.

I have read the PRIMER again, I still get lost when it starts talking about lipids and protein etc but I am so grateful for it and will keep going back and trying to understand

I have ordered the End of Alzheimer’s book

I have shared my worries with my mum and brother.

Things I’m still wrestling with....
1) How much is information helping me V causing me to overthink and stress out
2) Anxiety, I still can’t shake the feeling I have a death sentence over my head
3) What I should/should not be eating
4) How not to get completely overwhelmed at the amount of weight I need to lose
5) How to hold onto the hope that we will be able to have a baby (I also have Hashi)
6) how to recover from waking up scared every morning and having heavy thoughts like ‘what’s the point?’
Last edited by Priya on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Our Stories”