Age 36 and terrified of being 4x4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Age 36 and terrified of being 4x4

Post by chrissyr »

Hi Priya, You've made amazing progress in a week! I think the comments above and throughout this forum about having time are key for you. It is so overwhelming to try to process it all at once. I am only part way through myself. If you can pick one or two things to focus on and notice how they improve your quality of life right now, that will help you. Then those things just become your preference for how to live your life and in future months or years you can take the next steps. It sounds like weight loss is something you have already identified. Personally i had used the "lose it" app to lose 10 pounds way before I had heard about APOE4. Then a few laters, when I realized that gluten and I do not agree with each other, I lost another 10. Around the same time I had read Bredesen's first paper which instructed--12 hour fast and cut back on carbs, no eating before bed for 3 hours. So I was already doing these things-- this made the next steps easier. Maybe exercise and any type of mindfulness training (tiny small steps!) will also help you to decrease anxiety and help with quality of life? The idea of making teeny changes that become routines and eventually become enjoyment can be helpful. (eg. if you want to start exercising, say --ok this week I will walk at least to the mailbox each morning-- can go further if you want, but don't have to)

Keep up the good work and enjoy when you can! Breathe and notice the beauty around you. The cool thing is that these little changes will help make life richer now and in the next few years, regardless of the future. And you are so young, that the research will become more clear with each decade.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

ps I have had Hashi for decades too. My mother in law also has it --- and is fabulously independent and young as she approaches 80 :) (we both take levothyroxine). In my experience, it took a few years for my body to go through the ups and downs and now am on a steady dose for years with no symptoms that I am aware of.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Thanks Chrissyr, I really appreciate hearing from other people with Hashi. I only found out last year as we are trying for a baby so it’s all come as a bit of a shock that has cumatively led to where I am now.

Also on Levo and really hope it levels off soon! It’s been a few weeks.
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Priya, I love the idea of using this post as a journal, which I'm sure will help many readers. And I am impressed by all the excellent steps you have already taken. I believe that these changes will not only tame those e4, alleles; they will also move you closer to your goal of having a baby -- and even more importantly, a healthy baby.
Priya wrote: Things I’m still wrestling with....
1) How much is information helping me V causing me to overthink and stress out
2) Anxiety, I still can’t shake the feeling I have a death sentence over my head
3) What I should/should not be eating
4) How not to get completely overwhelmed at the amount of weight I need to lose
5) How to hold onto the hope that we will be able to have a baby (I also have Hashi)
6) how to recover from waking up scared every morning and having heavy thoughts like ‘what’s the point?’
I hope some of these responses will help:
1) I believe that my stress won the first round, but the value of the info is now prevailing.
2) This takes time. The anxiety will come and go, but the frequency and intensity of that anxiety does diminish. On bad days I still catch myself feeling this way, but the trend has been very much in the right direction.
3) If this is overwhelming, focus on the basics first. I personally find that if I make changes slowly, the process is less painful, and I'm more likely to stick with it.
4) My guess is that if you focus on the lifestyle changes that are recommended for ApoE4 and general health, rather than weight, the weight will improve.
5) I've had three babies (my youngest at age 36), all while being treated for Hashimoto's.
6) Maybe re-read Starfish's post :) I have noticed on this forum that many of us start out convinced that 4/4 is controlling our destiny, but we but wind up putting it in perspective -- realizing that there are MANY possible risks for major health challenges and that lifestyle interventions have a HUGE impact on our outcome.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Starfish77 wrote:Hi Priya, you asked when I found out I was an e4/e4. It was almost five years ago. I did 23andme and was totally surprised to find out I was an e4/e4. I am very thankful I found out because it gave me a chance plus the motivation to get in the best possible health for me.

Just being over 80 is rather scary too. I look around and suddenly many of the people I know personally in my age group are not in good health or not living. There as so many fun things to do and interesting people to be around, I hope I'm here, in as good health as possible, to take advantage of it.
Starfish
Starfish, you sound amazing. I hope I get back to the same energy for living that you have. Thank you
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Anna wrote: I hope some of these responses will help:
1) I believe that my stress won the first round, but the value of the info is now prevailing.
2) This takes time. The anxiety will come and go, but the frequency and intensity of that anxiety does diminish. On bad days I still catch myself feeling this way, but the trend has been very much in the right direction.
3) If this is overwhelming, focus on the basics first. I personally find that if I make changes slowly, the process is less painful, and I'm more likely to stick with it.
4) My guess is that if you focus on the lifestyle changes that are recommended for ApoE4 and general health, rather than weight, the weight will improve.
5) I've had three babies (my youngest at age 36), all while being treated for Hashimoto's.
6) Maybe re-read Starfish's post :) I have noticed on this forum that many of us start out convinced that 4/4 is controlling our destiny, but we but wind up putting it in perspective -- realizing that there are MANY possible risks for major health challenges and that lifestyle interventions have a HUGE impact on our outcome.
Anna thank you for taking the time to write that to me, I woke up today feeling high terror again so it was comforting to read your message through a few times as I tried to soothe and talk myself down a bit.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I have just been reading a book on stress management and how important it is, it struck me how managing stress might be just as important, if not more so, as all the other heath recommendations.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Orangeblossom wrote:I have just been reading a book on stress management and how important it is, it struck me how managing stress might be just as important, if not more so, as all the other heath recommendations.
I see that, just can’t seem to maintain a calm state at the moment. My heart is racing and I wake up in the mornings feeling a deep sense of dread. I can’t seem to stop imagining all the bad stuff like being a burden on my husband. I gave up my Corp career last year to run my own business part time, much less stress so I understand the benefits. How do you manage it, any advice?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I understand. I feel the same. I also have another health condition which can be tricky to manage which is stressful too. I'm just starting out with the stress management ideas but some things mentioned in the book are

Exercise (as helps fight or flight / stress response)
Relaxation
Mindfulness / breathing
CBT
Avoiding processed foods and sugar (like doing here anyway)

Being aware of signs like heart beating fast, fast breathing and sweaty hands, and trying to relax. Easier said than done I know. Kind thoughts.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Thanks OrangeBlossom, I woke up a bit calmer today.