Hello, I am PretzelViking, to introduce myself !

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am PretzelViking, to introduce myself !

Post by PretzelViking »

:) I got Dale Bredesen's book in December 2017 and have been reading through it as I can, near the end he mentioned ApoE4.info (I'm just starting Chapter 10 "Putting it all together: You can do it". I'm planning to keep it close and keep referencing it. I'm very glad to have found you guys as my father had Alzheimer's and my mother had Parkinson's with a secondary dementia. I took care of them both from the 90s to 2007, first at home, then in an Assisted Living Facility (a nice one) and then a Group Home...for the first 5 years or so they were together and then my mom passed and I took care of my dad for 5 more until he passed peacefully. So I reckon I am 4/4, but just ordered a test from 23andMe to check.
My sister is 16 years older than me and my brother is 11 years older; we have all been afraid of the future. They live in Florida and Washington State respectively and I live near Denver. I have been so relieved to find Dale's book and I have told both of them and also friends about it! I have further tweaked my diet to reduce sugar further and have reduced gluten somewhat (I don't think that I have leaky gut but I know that simple carbs turn into sugar) and I'm sleeping better and feel mentally sharper. I work anywhere between 20 and 40 hours per week on my feet, which is good exercise. I did martial arts and also had a horse, around 25 years each, overlapping, also have worked in food service for almost 30 years, so I have a history of fitness. I am about to turn 60 in May. I don't make a lot of money but I hope to improve the specifics of my supplements (I already take high quality, mostly plant based supplements that I buy online but I'm not certain that my source will have some of the specific types of vitamin, etc. that are recommended for optimum results (any recommendations for sources are welcome; I'm using All-Star Health now). It's overwhelming the amount of data but I'm going a little at a time as I can.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello, I am PretzelViking, to introduce myself !

Post by Priya »

Hey, I’m new too. Sorry about your parents.

Like you I’m slowly making diet changes and trying to get better with exercise etc
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PretzelViking wrote::) ...I'm sleeping better and feel mentally sharper. I work anywhere between 20 and 40 hours per week on my feet, which is good exercise. I did martial arts and also had a horse, around 25 years each, overlapping, also have worked in food service for almost 30 years, so I have a history of fitness. I am about to turn 60 in May.
Welcome PretzelViking!

I'm so glad you shared your story with us! Your decades of care-giving for your parents, somehow managing to also work on your feet full-time, do martial arts and enjoy a horse is an inspiration to me- a 66 year old whose mother also had dementia, and whose sister owned a horse, but who never got beyond the "let's walk slowly in a circle" riding level. Having worked with wonderful people in food service in school districts, after earlier jobs as a waitress at Howard Johnson's and Perkins, my appreciation of what you do in deep and sincere. Somewhere in Minnesota (Viking country) there is probably still a group of people who remember me slipping around a corner and spraying diners at 4 tables with food in 1971! As the manager said "It's a good thing you're going back to school tomorrow; otherwise I'd have to fire you." My nickname was "Grace" by the way, and not because of any angelic traits.

I hope you have realized from reading Dr. Bredesen's book that you have managed to spend your adult life doing EXACTLY what various studies in the U.S., Finland and other places suggest may be the most effective lifestyle prevention--especially for people with ApoE 4. Several scientific articles just in the last few years have shown that people with ApoE 4 who exercised had less amyloid (which is associated with later risk of Alzheimer's disease), better use of glucose in their brains (the fuel the brain needs to run efficiently) and better scores of lots of different tests of memory and spatial ability. In fact, one study said that people with ApoE 4 who exercised did as well as people who had NO ApoE 4 risk.

The fact that you're also sleeping better, probably means you are also doing better with clearing amyloid from your brain during sleep, which may contribute to your feeling sharper. So you've already got 2 big things handled!

I''m sure you'll get a warm welcome from one or more of our Interns, who are trained as functional medicine coaches and can offer you support if you need some "hurdle help" with Dr. Bredesen's book, or with sharing your information with your siblings. Here's a link to info on the coaches An opportunity to work with a health coach and another one if you'd like to sign up for a free intro session with one of our coaches. http://coachingcenter.functionalmedicin ... take-form/

And if you are at all interested in participating in a clinical trial for people who may have ApoE 4 (either one or two copies) in the Denver area, let me know. This forum does not endorse or push anyone to enroll in a clinical trial, but some people in their 60's and 70's (the target age range) are interested in learning more about them.

Please keep up posted as you learn and try out new strategies!
4/4 and still an optimist!
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Thank you! I'm feeling the love here...I live above Coal Creek Canyon between Golden and Boulder in the mountains...so I might be interested in the Denver thing.
reluctantexan
Contributor
Contributor

Welcome, and I'm new, too

Post by reluctantexan »

I think it's encouraging that hard work can hold off AD. I was a working chef for a few years in my 50s and a stage performer in my 30s, dancing and singing 8 shows a week. Maybe the banked exercise will pay off in the long run. I'm listening to the book and doing research. Did my 23andme kit today. Welcome.
3/3
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Hi, all! :)
So, I am now on my second reading of "The End of Alzheimers" and I have done the 23andMe genetics test; I am one Apoe4 and one Apoe3, so big relief there, slightly less chance of doom if I fail, lol. I'm sure that I got the 4 from my Dad as he had Alzheimer's, my mom's Parkinson's is not hereditary but toxic, she was a gardener who thought that organic wouldn't work in Florida when we moved there...so the pesticides probably got her.
I found out that there is a clinic in Littleton near Denver, probably about an hour from me, that follows the ReCode Protocol. I'm hesitant to start because of finances, my job's hours have been cut for months and I'm struggling to pay bills as it is; I have insurance through work but there is a deductible and I'm also worried about what they won't cover and the possibility of change due to the Federal Government in place at this time here in the USA with their slash and burn policies. I was able to do a local "Health Fair" so I got some results for a few things. I certainly can't afford a health coach and I feel that with my discipline I can follow doctor's instructions and the guidance of the book. My brother got me an annual membership for my birthday to the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver and I have a car and also free bus/light rail (through my work) in the Denver Metro area including Boulder where I work...so I am active outside of work as well, both physically and when I can, socially. Boulder is very transient, I work mostly with college students who come and go out of state, so it's been hard to make lasting friends here, I have a few and it's a matter of coordinating schedules and interests.
I don't know if there is another part of this site that would help me, I'm still feeling overwhelmed, healthy salad food has increased my food budget, I eat a lot of free food at work as I can.
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome, and I'm new, too

Post by PretzelViking »

reluctantexan wrote:I think it's encouraging that hard work can hold off AD. I was a working chef for a few years in my 50s and a stage performer in my 30s, dancing and singing 8 shows a week. Maybe the banked exercise will pay off in the long run. I'm listening to the book and doing research. Did my 23andme kit today. Welcome.
Hi, Reluctantexan! Got your results yet?
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Priya wrote:Hey, I’m new too. Sorry about your parents.

Like you I’m slowly making diet changes and trying to get better with exercise etc
Thank you, Priya! I have moved my sleeping room and that helps the night be quieter...
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

NF52 wrote:
PretzelViking wrote::) ...I'm sleeping better and feel mentally sharper. I work anywhere between 20 and 40 hours per week on my feet, which is good exercise. I did martial arts and also had a horse, around 25 years each, overlapping, also have worked in food service for almost 30 years, so I have a history of fitness. I am about to turn 60 in May.
Welcome PretzelViking!

I'm so glad you shared your story with us! Your decades of care-giving for your parents, somehow managing to also work on your feet full-time, do martial arts and enjoy a horse is an inspiration to me- a 66 year old whose mother also had dementia, and whose sister owned a horse, but who never got beyond the "let's walk slowly in a circle" riding level. Having worked with wonderful people in food service in school districts, after earlier jobs as a waitress at Howard Johnson's and Perkins, my appreciation of what you do in deep and sincere. Somewhere in Minnesota (Viking country) there is probably still a group of people who remember me slipping around a corner and spraying diners at 4 tables with food in 1971! As the manager said "It's a good thing you're going back to school tomorrow; otherwise I'd have to fire you." My nickname was "Grace" by the way, and not because of any angelic traits.

I hope you have realized from reading Dr. Bredesen's book that you have managed to spend your adult life doing EXACTLY what various studies in the U.S., Finland and other places suggest may be the most effective lifestyle prevention--especially for people with ApoE 4. Several scientific articles just in the last few years have shown that people with ApoE 4 who exercised had less amyloid (which is associated with later risk of Alzheimer's disease), better use of glucose in their brains (the fuel the brain needs to run efficiently) and better scores of lots of different tests of memory and spatial ability. In fact, one study said that people with ApoE 4 who exercised did as well as people who had NO ApoE 4 risk.

The fact that you're also sleeping better, probably means you are also doing better with clearing amyloid from your brain during sleep, which may contribute to your feeling sharper. So you've already got 2 big things handled! Thank you, NF52, and I have posted again this morning with an update...

I''m sure you'll get a warm welcome from one or more of our Interns, who are trained as functional medicine coaches and can offer you support if you need some "hurdle help" with Dr. Bredesen's book, or with sharing your information with your siblings. Here's a link to info on the coaches An opportunity to work with a health coach and another one if you'd like to sign up for a free intro session with one of our coaches. http://coachingcenter.functionalmedicin ... take-form/

And if you are at all interested in participating in a clinical trial for people who may have ApoE 4 (either one or two copies) in the Denver area, let me know. This forum does not endorse or push anyone to enroll in a clinical trial, but some people in their 60's and 70's (the target age range) are interested in learning more about them.

Please keep up posted as you learn and try out new strategies!
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

So, I went to Dr. Bredesen's website and sent an email but didn't have time to read the reply until today, started to sign up and they are charging $75.00 a month with a year commitment! I'd be lucky to have $75 for a year, lol! Very sad. :'(