Trying the protocol in advanced alzheimers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Trying the protocol in advanced alzheimers

Post by Liko »

Hi Chrystina, welcome! I don't have much to add to the input already shared above, but just wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences and questions with the group. (The image of a half cup of powder in supplements is an image that's staying with me--I hadn't really considered that quantity before!) I look forward to hearing your updates!

In case you haven't seen them yet, the Primer and Wiki are full of resources that may be helpful to you in addition to the many years worth of forum posts here.

Your mom is blessed to have you! I wish you both all the best on this journey.
Kaliko
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
chrystina3
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chrystina3 »

Hello all! Mom had such a good day today! She was more alert, did not need to nap in the mid-morning (still took her afternoon nap), she ate well, and overall her mobility was much better too. In the morning she got a bath which normally would be quite an ordeal but she seemed to understand what we were doing and try to "help".
Along the lines of the suggestions I got, tonight at dinner I experimented making her a "chocolate mousse" with avocado and coconut cream and almond butter along with cocoa powder, and added about 1/4 c of the supplement powder. She really enjoyed that, but could only eat about 1/2 along with her dinner of a bit of salmon and finely chopped salad in ranch dressing. Tomorrow I am going to try and make a slightly warm "coffee shake" with the supplements because she loves coffee so much and always drank it black--it might just work. I haven't mentioned the ketogenic diet--I have been doing it without using a ketone meter or anything, just avoiding grains/refined carbs and usually use chicory powder or stevia when any sweetening is needed in her shakes. I tend to mix vegetables etc up into yogurt or dressing to make it easier for her to swallow, but that seems to be improving! She fasts at least 12 hours by virtue of her long sleeping time at night.
I just feel so encouraged today. It's quite a difference from nearly four weeks ago when she first came here. She was so tired she slept constantly, and could do very little--I had to lift her to transfer her! Now she is routinely standing to transfer and even walking a short distance. She is alert and aware, and enjoying watching "I Love Lucy" and old movies. Now, whether the supplements have done any of that ---I don't know. I have come to realize that the most important thing you can give someone with dementia is patience and time--just to wait quietly as they try and figure it out. That will not happen at any care home I am afraid--just too much work to do, too many tasks. But I can give that to her, and I will keep on with the protocol.
I am so thankful that I get to do this.
Thank you for all your kind and helpful words!
Chrystina
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

chrystina3 wrote: I am so thankful that I get to do this.
That is simply beautiful and touching, Chrystina.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Wow such profound changes, I’m so pleased you got to do this for her. She is a very lucky mother xxx
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Wow Chrystina3. Your update is a beautiful testament of the love between you and your mother. What a special time to share. The coffee shake sounds promising, and the chocolate mousse - brilliant!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

chrystina3 wrote:
I would like suggestions on masking the flavor of all the supplements in the shake or other advice about getting supplements in. She has difficulty eating/chewing/swallowing so the shake is really the only way to do it.

Chrystina

Many supplements are available in transdermal creams or patches. Maybe that includes some of the ones you're giving your mother?
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
chrystina3
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chrystina3 »

Hello! It’s been forever but I wanted to give you an update on my mom. I had her here with me for almost 3 months. We got into a good routine of giving the supplements in her morning shake—I basically ended up tasting each and every supplement and omitting any that were very bitter. I also found that adding some veggies helped mask the “vitamin-y” taste. She never got more than half the recommended dose —it was just too difficult. Nevertheless it had a good effect. When I took her back to the care home they couldn’t believe the change in her—from combative and agitated to calm and smiling. They have been very motivated to keep her on the protocol! I am so glad I tried it and had that time with my mom. Now I go see her every week—I make her supplement mix so they can make her morning shake easily. She seems so much more content! Thanks everybody for your encouragement.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

chrystina3 wrote:Hello! It’s been forever but I wanted to give you an update on my mom.
Thanks for sharing your story! Any improvement that increases quality of life is a victory.
Slacker
E4/E4