Carnivore/keto

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Carnivore/keto

Post by Jafa »

Thanks for the sourdough tip Martha. I think I shall try it. I am trying to get my weight to 52 kilos and have almost made it by eating to the point of feeling uncomfortable. Then if I have a day of slightly less food my weight will drop as low as 50.1. Soo frustrating.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

I'm struggling with the whole saturated fat thing.

I went almost full carnivore a couple years ago, then found out about my Apoe3/4.

I completely fell apart, motivation-wise, and my diet went South as well. I didn't go full-blown carb eater, but I really laxed in paying attention to what I ate ... just too depressed and frustrated.

After six months or so, I got back on track ... tried to avoid saturated fat, drank (literally) a shot of olive oil almost every day ... I really tried to do a mono-focused keto instead of a saturated-focused keto.

That's very hard to do, especially when I don't do the shopping or the cooking.

Lately, I've gone back to eating a pretty standard keto diet without worrying about saturated fat.

My reason is this ... if I have to choose between dying of heart disease or dying from Alzheimer's, that's a no brainer (ha).

And, I've had two coronary calcium scans, one at 50 and one at 55.
Both were zero ... no plaque.

So, at this point, I'm going to eat to protect my brain (as I haven't seen anything saying saturated fat hurts the brains of Apoe4's, just the heart.) And, I'll keep doing coronary calcium scans.

If I see something that indicates I'm getting plaque, I'll have to make some other decisions at that time.

I'm sure I'll get nasty comments from doctors, because I'm sure my "numbers" aren't going to be great.
But, they've never been great. Highest HDL ever was mid-forties. LDL is always too high, unless all I eat is chicken breast.

It seems I have to chose either heart or brain.

I chose to protect my brain and monitor my heart as I go.

And, pray that my health and my time run out together.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

jgilberAZ wrote:I'm struggling with the whole saturated fat thing.

I went almost full carnivore a couple years ago, then found out about my Apoe3/4.

I completely fell apart, motivation-wise, and my diet went South as well. I didn't go full-blown carb eater, but I really laxed in paying attention to what I ate ... just too depressed and frustrated.

After six months or so, I got back on track ... tried to avoid saturated fat, drank (literally) a shot of olive oil almost every day ... I really tried to do a mono-focused keto instead of a saturated-focused keto.

That's very hard to do, especially when I don't do the shopping or the cooking.

Lately, I've gone back to eating a pretty standard keto diet without worrying about saturated fat.

My reason is this ... if I have to choose between dying of heart disease or dying from Alzheimer's, that's a no brainer (ha).

And, I've had two coronary calcium scans, one at 50 and one at 55.
Both were zero ... no plaque.

So, at this point, I'm going to eat to protect my brain (as I haven't seen anything saying saturated fat hurts the brains of Apoe4's, just the heart.) And, I'll keep doing coronary calcium scans.

If I see something that indicates I'm getting plaque, I'll have to make some other decisions at that time.

I'm sure I'll get nasty comments from doctors, because I'm sure my "numbers" aren't going to be great.
But, they've never been great. Highest HDL ever was mid-forties. LDL is always too high, unless all I eat is chicken breast.

It seems I have to chose either heart or brain.

I chose to protect my brain and monitor my heart as I go.

And, pray that my health and my time run out together.
I am dealing with the same thing. Went full keto and then realized that wasn’t good for apoe4 plus my cholesterol went really high. Then I tried to do good fats keto. Too hard. Now I am doing more meat but try to eat either wild or grass fed and not go crazy. I also try to eat lots of veggies. Eat a little low fat Greek yogurt and berries. I also cut out butter, cheese, and use olive oil and avocado oil.

Just hard to know sometimes what to eat. I’m not perfect. Sometimes popcorn, sometimes dessert. Sometimes [emoji485]. We just do what we can.

I will say on low carb my inflammation crp number went down from 6 to 3. Also my triglycerides went down and hdl went up so I am definitely sticking with low carb. Just a matter of how much meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

Found this on ketogenenic forums.

I think not worrying about LDL is the right approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8

Saturated fat -> Heart disease is bogus science.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChipW »

It is really hard to follow a low saturated fat keto diet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

I get confused also as I have mentioned in other threads

I am on a standard full keto and a little concerned about E4 status. My bloods have all been great past 9 months so unless I start to see them alter badly, I shall continue. For me personally, its been amazing and the best health change I have ever made.

Regarding dairy, I find it hard to eliminate and feel it just that too restrictive at present. Its always organic grass fed no milk bar the very occasional A2 milk in tea

Just a quick question that perhaps should be elsewhere, my dna shows I am northern european and predominantly Briton (9500 years+) so Olives including oil and avocado would never of been in my diet. A curiosity that keeps coming back in my mind when I get lost with high/low sat fat
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Robhypno wrote:...
Regarding dairy, I find it hard to eliminate and feel it just that too restrictive at present. Its always organic grass fed no milk bar the very occasional A2 milk in tea

Just a quick question that perhaps should be elsewhere, my dna shows I am northern european and predominantly Briton (9500 years+) so Olives including oil and avocado would never of been in my diet. A curiosity that keeps coming back in my mind when I get lost with high/low sat fat
Feeling confused means you've been doing your reading! It also means that you've raised some good questions. While you and I have the same ancestry (although I can only trace mine back a few hundred years at most), The fact that our ancestors didn't have olive oil and avocados doesn't mean that those foods don't have beneficial properties for us. Extra virgin olive oil, for example, is about 75% MUFA- mono-unsaturated fatty acid, almost 11% poly-unsaturated fatty acid and only about 14% saturated fatty acid. (See this wiki entry for a great chart and more detail: Fats - SFA, MUFA and PUFA.

Since saturated fats are the ones implicated as bad for our hearts and brains, many diets, including the Mediterranean and MIND diet, as well as Dr. Bredesen, recommend substituting extra virgin olive oil (its acronym in EVOO) for butter, margarine, and other plant-based oil.

As for your love of dairy, that is probably part of that wonderful heritage!! You may find with a little experimentation, that you like almond milk as a substitute. It's important that whatever you do you can feel that it will work for you for the long-term. A little bit of A-2 milk when your levels are all good sounds perfectly reasonable to this European/Brit descendent. Pat yourself on the back for handling all these confusing questions so well!
4/4 and still an optimist!
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

Saturated fat does not cause heart disease.

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/satur ... rt-disease
Apoe 3/4
My Website
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

Thank NF52, not sure I deserve a pat on the back

I have tried alternative ‘milks’ includind almond and, well I just can’t stand them. The only time I could accept almond milk was in porridge and thats out now lol

My bloods etc have remained really good so far.

Gluten was much easier to eliminate than this bread fiend ever thought possible.

By restrictive, I meant limited choices of fats to maintain ketosis. Whenever I go more vegetarian/vegan I cannot obtain ketosis which is my objective. Plus I get hungry.

There is also conflicting information in the keto community - respected peeps and nit some hippie down the road suggesting a more dominant plant based diet is not beneficial.

The med diet I think is based a lot on lifestyle too. By which I mean quality of life, weather, clean produce and limited stress etc. Huge factors I suspect help. Having travelled to the med many times and to be candid, most are overweight - extremely content with their lives haha but obese nonetheless.

The research into E4 is still early and based on data of a couple on decades. My mother has late stages of AD which was my motivation to tackle it and was thankful for Dr Beseden, his book and research. My mothers diet for 40 years was shocking - No fat, high sugar, very low protein, high in fruit. Several TIAs and a couple of strokes. Stick thin with high blood pressure. Put on statins and the decline was rapid. Other factors too but thats the brief background

Sorry for the distraction and wandering off topic a bit