Here I go again-newbie introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Here I go again-newbie introduction

Post by floramaria »

ru442 wrote:So the chocolate thing is timely, as I've been doing a bit of research on it (I rarely have any, but I do enjoy some occasionally!). The big issue with any chocolate is metals (lead and cadmium) and many of even the good brands can have some. The other issue is sugar... and I try to limit this as well as stevia (there is some evidence even artificial sweeteners can induce glucose response).
Ah yes, ru442, I believe “the chocolate thing” is always timely; in my life at least! Your mention of the lead and cadmium really caught my eye since my heavy metals test showed elevated levels of both of those. There are other possible culprits, but I had not considered that (beloved)chocolate could be contributing to my metals. Dr’s Data specified that my test indicated recent and on-going exposure and none of my other suspects had been recent. But chocolate...that is continual. Since I weaned myself off of the sweeter varieties a long time ago, and now enjoy 85%-100% cacao and only a square or two any given day I wasn’t too worried about the sugar. Have you been able to find a resource that gives metal levels for different brands, or do you have to contact each company (and hope they are honest)? How do the metals get into the chocolate? Since you’ve already been doing research , please, if you would post links to some of the better articles you have found. I’d really appreciate seeing those. Meanwhile, I will see what I dig up by typing key words into a search engine. While singing “They Can’t Take That Away From Me”.... :lol:
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

floramaria wrote: Have you been able to find a resource that gives metal levels for different brands, or do you have to contact each company (and hope they are honest)?
Not any company that gives levels, Consumer Labs may have more details. California has a law that requires producer to meet certain levels of heavy metals, and this independent company tested 120 companies:

AsYouSow

It a couple years old but thought it was a pretty good list.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

ru442 wrote:It a couple years old but thought it was a pretty good list.
thanks ru442,

That was depressing. Many of my favorite brands are here.
It looks like they are continuing to test since their site says results are from 2014-2018. Turns out, As You Sow is the main source quoted for info about lead and cadmium in chocolate in most stories about heavy metals and chocolate. Their lawsuits to require chocolatiers and confectioners to label their products as having levels of lead and cadmium has caused quite a stir. In looking for what the source of the contamination is , this is the most informative article I found so far:

Killing at source: How to avoid cadmium and lead in chocolate, by Oliver Nieburg.
confectionery news.com
about upcoming regulations and how the chocolate producers can avoid safety recalls. Seems the EU has put Specific restrictions on cadmium levels to go into effect in 2019.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jillybeans
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jillybeans »

One piece of information I did find out with checking numerous sites about the lead and cadmium issue is that lower levels are found in cacao coming from Africa than the Americas due to increased volcanic activity in the Americas. I inquired with the company "Holy Kakow" about their levels. THey replied that their source is Peru which uses the CODEX standards. When I googled CODEX standards, I found sources that gave ideas of levels of cadmium and/or lead in cacao powders, bars (and it gave the range of cacao content in the bars), etc. from Africa vs Americas. I cannot remember the site offhand. I would have to google it and try to find it again. Overall, I think powders had higher rates than the bars, and the higher the cacao content in the bar, the higher the heavy metal levels.