APOE mismatch Ancestry vs 23andMe

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: APOE mismatch Ancestry vs 23andMe

Post by CarrieS »

ncjlhp wrote:I am just trying to live well and deal with it as best I can!
I totally agree with you on this!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Epsilon? wrote:Anna: I'll ask Promethease. I was wondering if the excess E4 is due to a higher risk group taking the test compared to the general population.
That's an interesting thought. This would make sense if those with AD in their family were doing 23andMe testing specifically to determine their risk. I would think that if this were the case, other "bad" genes would also be over-represented. I don't have any other results with a note saying anything like that, but I have several that indicate some degree of likelihood of miscall: "miscalled by 23andMe," "likely miscall by 23andMe," "very prone to miscalling by 23andMe," etc. You can see the potential miscalls by entering "miscall" into the Promethease search bar.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
ShirleyP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ShirleyP »

I am not an expert but my understanding is that Ancestry doesn't test for ApoE4, so you have to go elsewhere like 23andMe.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Anna and Epsilon?,
I'm not sure there's an excess of ApoE 4 results on 23& me. Here's a 2017 news article referring to several studies done by a group of researchers who looked at the reaction of 23&me users to the news. While I couldn't find the original source for the following analysis, it suggests that 23& me users have about the same prevalence of one or two copies of ApoE 4 as populations studies suggest:
Roberts and Green surveyed 1,648 23andMe customers about genetic results they got before 2013, a group that received both good and bad news. Two percent regretted getting the report and 1 percent said they were harmed A red flag, Roberts said, was that 38 percent hadn’t considered the possibility that they could receive “unwanted” news. Thirteen percent of the group chose not to look at APOE results.
Later the researchers analyzed responses from just the people who learned they had one copy of APOE4 (23 percent) or two (2 percent). They were only slightly more distressed than the group as a whole.
[emphasis added] https://www.heraldnet.com/nation-world/ ... lways-fun/

Note that "Two percent regretted getting the report" is exactly the same percentage whose report showed that they were ApoE 4/4. Since 13% chose not to look at their ApoE results, I'd guess that it wouldn't be too hard for many of the 62% of people who either did not look at results or learned that they had only an "no increased risk" of getting AD to not regret getting the report.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Epsilon?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Epsilon? »

Thanks for the link Tincup.

NF52, I think that the 23 and Me results are right but may appear to be high to Promethease because of selection. Anyway I am asking them to provide number and compare to 23 and Me overall results. From your article "And particularly savvy consumers can download their raw data and plug it into websites that will tell them more than 23andMe does, another potential source of worry." I think this group is savvy and AD is of interest to many people I can imagine that E4 could be overrepresented in data uploaded to Promethease.

In contrast , I have a bad allele for a rare recessive kidney disease reported by 23 and me but few people are affected, there is no organized group, and I don't think there are enough uploads to Promethease among carriers to distort the result on Promethease.

I'll report back if I get a response from Promethease.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I, too, received 3/4 result via 23andMe and confirmed it (through Boston Heart labs). I just recently signed up for ReCODE and did a second round through Boston Heart, so I'll report any discrepancies. . . I don't expect a change. :(
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Hermione
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hermione »

I think this has already been covered, but unless something has changed very recently, AncestryDNA always reports rs429358 as T/T. I suggest checking your AncestryDNA data for
rs4420638 - if one of the alleles is a G, you might want to get additional testing to check for the APOE4 allele. I wish AncestryDNA just didn't report that variant instead of giving people inaccurate data.
Epsilon?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Epsilon? »

Hermione, I agree 100%. FWIW I am pretty sure Ancestry would say they don't want you to do Promethease but a nonresult would be better than a wrong one.

I haven't had a response from Promethease. They got back to me quickly on a technical web related issue. I suspect that I may not get a response.

I sent an email to support at 23 and Me suggesting that they should report their E4 rates to defend themselves. I'll report back if I get a response.
Epsilon?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Epsilon? »

23 and me sent me this link. I think it has an error https://permalinks.23andme.com/pdf/PN-20-0234.pdf
Allele frequency vs genotype frequency
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Can you explain a bit more what you think is the error? Are you referring to page 14, with the differences in frequency of ApoE 4 among 23&me customers, population-based studies of frequency based on ethnic background and frequency among people with Alzheimer’s?
4/4 and still an optimist!