Questions about insulin

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Questions about insulin

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote:
But if you see this before I respond to your last post, do you suggest your meter as the best one? What about the one Bredesen mentions in his book? I know I can get that on Amazon.
Jan,

Assuming you are in the US, we use the Keto-Mojo meter as it has the lowest cost ketone strips. https://keto-mojo.com/ . They are $0.99 for ketone and $0.29 for glucose. I'd say it and the Precision Xtra are about the same in terms of ketone accuracy, but you have to work hard to get Precision Xtra strips for $1.29/strip - I used to order them from Australia, where Abbott markets them under a different name. Just like drugs, they market them for a lot less elsewhere in the world. The Keto Mojo guy has worked very hard to create a quality product that is accurate and a reasonable cost. I met him at a conference last August.

So this was not the symbol: β-hydroxybutyrate ?

At 1200 cal/day - you could be calorie restricted enough to be making quite a few ketones. Also "70/20/10 percentages of macros" is a ketogenic macro set. I wouldn't worry to much right now. Keep on keeping on and I'm guessing your A1C will also drop. If you get a meter

"Free Fatty Acid 0.86"

This is indicative that you are in ketosis (given your diet). Dr. Gundry wants us there and gives me grief when my level is lower (which is where standard of care wants you to be). I'm guessing your hydroxybuterate is β-hydroxybutyrate and you are in ketosis. If you get a meter, you can check, but again I wouldn't stress about it. BTW, Theresa's numbers for this metric are in this ballpark...

Keep on doing what you are doing and see how you feel.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some ideas that might be useful for your pain, if not previously explored.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

"Regarding leptin, you want it LOW, just like insulin. And if you lower your insulin, you should lower your leptin." Theresa B.

First, how do you guys start your replies with quotes in a box? I need instruction on how to do that. I actually wish I could just copy your entire email, and then I could respond paragraph by paragraph in a different font color. That way my response would come right after your comment and it would be so much easier to follow the lines of thought. You know, like you do in emails? (Well, it's how I respond to email...)

Second, Theresa, you said the highest your leptin has ever been is 18-something and you struggle with being hungry. But mine is 59 and I'm rarely hungry! If higher leptin levels mean hunger is problematic, what's going on with me? I thought my lack of hunger was because the high percentage of fat I'm eating is very satiating. I discovered I had a "fat" tooth (not a "sweet" tooth) years ago by the (bad) treats I liked. I liked foods with high fat content (foods we called "sweets" because they also have sugar, like pie, cookies, chocolate) but I don't like foods with high "sweetness" like popsickles, hard candies, sugary drinks, and -- get this -- fruit! I hated fruit all my life and never chose it until about 10 years ago when I started eating "healthier" and thought fruit was "so healthy." I had to make myself like it. I still wouldn't normally choose it, but kept berries in my diet, because I was told how good they were and low glycemic.

I kind of got off topic there....my question is if my leptin is 59, shouldn't I be struggling with hunger as you seemed to say?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote:
First, how do you guys start your replies with quotes in a box? I need instruction on how to do that. I actually wish I could just copy your entire email, and then I could respond paragraph by paragraph in a different font color. That way my response would come right after your comment and it would be so much easier to follow the lines of thought. You know, like you do in emails? (Well, it's how I respond to email...)
Hey Jan,

To quote someone press the double quote icon at the upper right of their post.

I'm adding spaces so you can see:

It will start with
[ quote="Jan18"]

Then the text of their post. You can edit this.

If finishes with

[ /quote]

So your post, in full would look like this after you click the icon and will be in a reply window:

[ quote="Jan18"]"Regarding leptin, you want it LOW, just like insulin. And if you lower your insulin, you should lower your leptin." Theresa B.

Second, Theresa, you said the highest your leptin has ever been is 18-something and you struggle with being hungry. But mine is 59 and I'm rarely hungry! If higher leptin levels mean hunger is problematic, what's going on with me? I thought my lack of hunger was because the high percentage of fat I'm eating is very satiating. I discovered I had a "fat" tooth (not a "sweet" tooth) years ago by the (bad) treats I liked. I liked foods with high fat content (foods we called "sweets" because they also have sugar, like pie, cookies, chocolate) but I don't like foods with high "sweetness" like popsickles, hard candies, sugary drinks, and -- get this -- fruit! I hated fruit all my life and never chose it until about 10 years ago when I started eating "healthier" and thought fruit was "so healthy." I had to make myself like it. I still wouldn't normally choose it, but kept berries in my diet, because I was told how good they were and low glycemic.

I kind of got off topic there....my question is if my leptin is 59, shouldn't I be struggling with hunger as you seemed to say?[ /quote]

You could either copy these:

[ quote="Jan18"]

[ /quote]

And put them around the text you want to quote.

Or you can highlight the text then press the Quote button in the editor and it will put the opening and closing for you, but won't list the name of who you are quoting.

As long as we are talking about the mechanics of posting. If you click the URL button, this will appear [ url][ /url] you can either put the url in the middle of the ][ and it will become a live link and will show. Or you put = after the first url and a label in between the ][ to have a label with a link. As in [ url=http://google.com]Google[ /url] which shows as: Google

Neurosurgeon Jack Kruse has what he calls a "Leptin Prescription," on his blog on it is here: https://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

"2. Here's another video by Dr Jason Fung. It didn’t “speak to me” as much as Dr Naiman’s did, but I include it because I respect Dr Fung, his clinic has helped countless folks with prediabetes/T2 Diabetes, it might speak to you. https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-jason- ... esistance/
I haven’t personally read it, but Dr Fung also has a book The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally, but I imagine it’s probably a very good book full of helpful easy to understand advice if it’s anything like his book that I did read, The Complete Guide to Fasting. He also has lots of info/videos on his website: https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d" Theresa B.

Theresa,
Just watched this. It really encouraged me! Thank you!

I have a question, though. He says we can stop prediabetes and even cure Diabetes Type 2 naturally through diet. But as he goes on to explain (low carb and intermittent fasting) he says they have a drug to do what low carb does and a drug to do what intermittent fasting does.

But he also mentions drawbacks of both drugs, if I recall.

It was a little confusing to me at that spot, but what I infer was that he was saying the natural way was so much better than the drugs. Right?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: I have a question, though. He says we can stop prediabetes and even cure Diabetes Type 2 naturally through diet. But as he goes on to explain (low carb and intermittent fasting) he says they have a drug to do what low carb does and a drug to do what intermittent fasting does.

But he also mentions drawbacks of both drugs, if I recall.
Jan, I happened to be at that talk and I don't recall Jason mentioning drugs to take the place of low carb & IF (I did not relisten to the talk, but I've heard him speak a number of times). In fact Jason's pitch is that no drug can replace low carb & IF as there is no other way to reduce insulin. He states that on slide 37 here.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote:
As long as we are talking about the mechanics of posting. If you click the URL button, this will appear [ url][ /url] you can either put the url in the middle of the ][ and it will become a live link and will show. Or you put = after the first url and a label in between the ][ to have a label with a link. As in [ url=http://google.com]Google[ /url] which shows as: Google

Neurosurgeon Jack Kruse has what he calls a "Leptin Prescription," on his blog on it is here: https://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/
Tincup,
I'm trying this out as I understand it from your explanation to see if I understand it correctly. I quoted your entire post, but then deleted the stuff about how to quote and left these last two pieces of info.

By God, I think she's got it! (My Fair Lady quote...sorry, occupational hazard. Used to teach lit. and writing. ;) )

Thank you!!!! :D
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Jan, I happened to be at that talk and I don't recall Jason mentioning drugs to take the place of low carb & IF (I did not relisten to the talk, but I've heard him speak a number of times). In fact Jason's pitch is that no drug can replace low carb & IF as there is no other way to reduce insulin. He states that on slide 37 here.
Hi Tincup,
I just listened to it before I posted that. He does mention two drugs at the end when he starts telling the audience that there are two ways to solve the mechanics of Type 2 Diabetes, BUT I think he also said each one had a drawback or didn't completely solve the problem....that section is within about the last 7 minutes or so of his presentation that Theresa posted the link for.

If you have a few minutes, he mentions the drugs they have around the 23 minute mark. Yes, it is where he is talking about slide 37.He says they are a new class of drugs. But I'm inferring he's saying that those drugs lower glucose but don't get rid of insulin resistance. Or is he saying why take a drug when you can do it naturally? What is your take on that section? I'm confused and I just listened to it for a second time.

Thanks!
Last edited by Jan18 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ah, Acarbose - which blocks absorption of carbs. Yes he mentions it, but says it doesn't drop blood sugar very much, but does have benefits. Not his preferred approach at all. He also mentions insulin, which is standard of care. However his point is that T2 is a disease of too much insulin, and too much glucose is a side effect.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Thanks, Tincup.

I'm still going through some of the info you and Theresa have posted for me here. I'll comment or ask questions, if need be, when I get to it all.

But while I'm doing that, I discovered something. http://www.cronometer.com's macro percentages for "moderate keto" (which I chose over "strict keto") turn out to be 70% fat, 16% protein and 14% fat. Not exactly 70-20-10. Is that close enough? It's a preset thing, and I don't know if I can get in there and manually manipulate the percentages.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: But while I'm doing that, I discovered something. http://www.cronometer.com's macro percentages for "moderate keto" (which I chose over "strict keto") turn out to be 70% fat, 16% protein and 14% fat. Not exactly 70-20-10. Is that close enough? It's a preset thing, and I don't know if I can get in there and manually manipulate the percentages.
On the desktop version you can choose "custom" and put in what you want.
Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.47.16 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4