Hey Julie, I got the magic olive oil!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Julie, I got the magic olive oil!

Post by anne from california »

This is really a note for everybody, but I was in the Bay Area the other day to get some bloods done at Dr. Hathaway's office, and suddenly remembered the Nueva Amphora olive oil place was just up the road. Julie has recommended this stuff. Got myself a beautiful bottle of high-polyphenol Northern California organic evoo, a good-sized one for $21. The guy explained to me that they're getting ready for another harvest in July (on the other side of the world), so in a couple of months, they'll have some brand new stuff. Since the recent romaine poisoning scared me off large-farm lettuce, I've been enjoying local organic lettuces from our natural foods co-op and the farmers markets, and this olive oil is so good on these fresh springtime salads!

Not sold in any grocery stores. Online or in Amphora outlets only (Berkeley, Lafayette, San Anselmo CA): https://amphoranueva.com/store/index.ph ... g&parent=1
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Hey Julie, I got the magic olive oil!

Post by Julie G »

How wonderful, Anne! Did you get the Hojiblanca? It's quite bitter if you're not used to it. Out of curiosity, were you at the Berkley store? I was able to visit in person once and highly recommend it as a field trip to anyone in the area. They have a huge showroom with many EVOO varieties and the most amazing vinegars and they encourage tasting. Its quite an experience. I'm glad to know that a new shipment of the high polyphenol stuff is arriving in late summer. I'll need a new stash around that time.
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hey Julie, I got the magic olive oil!

Post by anne from california »

No, Julie, I was at the San Anselmo store--about 10 minutes from Dr. Hathaway's office in San Rafael, a bit north of San Francisco in Marin County. I plan to go to the Berkeley store next time I get over there. The San Anselmo store also had all the balsamics and tons of oils--so yummy. I got a small bottle of 565poly Hojiblanca (I was warned it might be bitter and there wasn't a tasting option, so I didn't want to overcommit) and a big bottle of organic Koroneiki (a little lower polyphenol at 383poly). I like them both! The Hojiblanca is a little bitterer, but I love it. I've been using a Napa Valley evoo for the past couple of years that has quite a bite, so maybe I'm just used to it? In any case, great stuff and thank you for the tip!
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!